Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map pouch for chopped tour pak  (Read 1332 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Map pouch for chopped tour pak
« on: May 26, 2005, 03:28:19 AM »

Anyone got a part number for a map pouch that fits in the chopped tour pak?  Among all the parts I received with the insurane order after the chopped pak got stolen was a map pouch.  But it's too tall.  Checked a parts breakdown and the part number listed is what was received.  

Obviously there's a SNAFU.  Anyone have a good part number?

Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Map pouch for chopped tour pak
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 09:54:03 AM »

2lane,

If that is the same pouch that came originally with the bike, it is designed for the full size Tour-Pak.  I mounted mine to the interior of the lid with 3M mounting tape, the heavy duty grey stuff made for exterior use.  Works great - I found it at Sears Hardware.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 11:44:46 AM »

2lane,

If that is the same pouch that came originally with the bike, it is designed for the full size Tour-Pak.  I mounted mine to the interior of the lid with 3M mounting tape, the heavy duty grey stuff made for exterior use.  Works great - I found it at Sears Hardware.

Thanks GRC.  I'd thought about doing just that but wasn't sure of how effective the outcome would be.  Good to know someone else has been there and done that.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 04:35:32 PM »

Are you talking about that pouch thingie with the springy top closure? Looks kind of like a frogs mouth , Black leatherette, 12-13 inches long, 7-8 inches deep?  I got one with the bike new, but neither the dealer or myself could figure out what it's for!  what a dummy? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 04:36:24 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 05:44:25 PM »

I took the one that came with the bike and mounted it in the rear of my full size pak after I added the ultra lights. Now I have one in the front and one in the back of the full size tour pak.
MObe

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 08:10:30 AM »

I use mine to hold the owner's manual and various other bits of paper.  I don't believe in maps, takes all the adventure out of trips.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 10:06:20 AM »

There isn't a small version for the chopped t/pack. I keep paperwork, owners manual, hog card, stuff like that in it. It lays in the bottom, no tape.
And no maps for me either, more fun that way. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 10:38:10 AM »

There isn't a small version for the chopped t/pack.

There is now.  I cut a couple of inches off the bottom of that little bugger and had a local leather shop stitch it back closed.

I'm more of a chickens**t than you guys too.  I always have an atlas in the tour pak if I'm out on a road trip.  Sometimes I can get to playing (wandering) and end up just really out there.  Without the map I might never get back.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 05:02:19 PM »

hmmm....   and I just velcro'd the pouch to my seat because I figured MAP stood for My A$$ Pad...

Guess I screwed it up again.....  [smiley=oops.gif]

maybe i should put my registration and insurance cards in it so the guy that steals my bike has the right paperwork...  I'd hate for him to waste his valuable time, you know...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 05:11:57 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 01:12:17 AM »

Good idea! On the map subject, you might check the new H-D gps navigator unit. Slick bracket mounts to the fairing (on Road Glides and Electra glides). The gps unit is powered from the bike and its internal battery is charged. You can detach it and use it as a portable. It hit 10 on the cool meter for me.

Have looked at the advertisements for it and found it interesting.  Hearing WFP's product review made parts of it sound quite nice actually.  The mount is apparently very clean.  

Didn't like that it's got no touch screen though and having already used the 2620 on a handlebar mount I like the touch screen and really like having all the maps loaded in teh unit all the time.  

Even though it seems like a small thing, however, my biggest surprise about the fairing mounted unit was that the mount has no built in speaker.  Really seems almost idiotic (and a poor design effort) to engineer a unit and mounting system with a nice clean no-wires-showing mount and installation only then to have to hang a loose droopy wire across the front of the instruments to plug it in to the front of radio to have the audible prompts working.  That quite frankly seems just nuts.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 01:44:12 AM »

There is now.  I cut a couple of inches off the bottom of that little bugger and had a local leather shop stitch it back closed.

I'm more of a chickens**t than you guys too.  I always have an atlas in the tour pak if I'm out on a road trip.  Sometimes I can get to playing (wandering) and end up just really out there.  Without the map I might never get back.

Good idea! On the map subject, you might check the new H-D gps navigator unit. Slick bracket mounts to the fairing (on Road Glides and Electra glides). The gps unit is powered from the bike and its internal battery is charged. You can detach it and use it as a portable. It hit 10 on the cool meter for me.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 11:05:08 AM »

Have looked at the advertisements for it and found it interesting.  Hearing WFP's product review made parts of it sound quite nice actually.  The mount is apparently very clean.  

Didn't like that it's got no touch screen though and having already used the 2620 on a handlebar mount I like the touch screen and really like having all the maps loaded in teh unit all the time.  

Even though it seems like a small thing, however, my biggest surprise about the fairing mounted unit was that the mount has no built in speaker.  Really seems almost idiotic (and a poor design effort) to engineer a unit and mounting system with a nice clean no-wires-showing mount and installation only then to have to hang a loose droopy wire across the front of the instruments to plug it in to the front of radio to have the audible prompts working.  That quite frankly seems just nuts.

Haven't seen one in person...I woulda thought it was wired into sound system internally.
I don't like the droopy wire either....sigh...back to paper maps

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 11:46:01 AM »

Haven't seen one in person...I woulda thought it was wired into sound system internally.
I don't like the droopy wire either....sigh...back to paper maps

The HD branded radios don't have an AUX jack on the backside.  The only auxiliary input is the one on the front of the radios.  So if a speaker wasn't included on the GPS's fairing mount the front of the radio is going to be the only place to do it.  It's a shortcoming of both the design of the HD branded radios and of the GPS mount.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 01:27:46 PM »

The HD branded radios don't have an AUX jack on the backside.  The only auxiliary input is the one on the front of the radios.  So if a speaker wasn't included on the GPS's fairing mount the front of the radio is going to be the only place to do it.  It's a shortcoming of both the design of the HD branded radios and of the GPS mount.

Hey Twolane, I was reading your posts on the GPS on the other thread and was wondering on the touchscreen deal, can you use it with gloves on? On my wife's car, you do the touchscreen to add a destination, but after you start the trip, there isn't much input needed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 03:33:09 PM »

Hey Twolane, I was reading your posts on the GPS on the other thread and was wondering on the touchscreen deal, can you use it with gloves on? On my wife's car, you do the touchscreen to add a destination, but after you start the trip, there isn't much input needed.

Can use the touch screen ok with the normal (thin) leather gloves.  The cool/cold weather or rain gloves aren't good though.  It's not that the touch screen won't still respond to the contact.  It's just that with those bulkier gloves your aim isn't good enough to be able to accurately touch the spot you want to.

As for uses on the road I've found a few.  Will generally set down with the unit before leaving on a trip and load in several of the destination area's waypoints so those can be selected on the fly.  Different routing options or map screens can be selected as well along with switching back and forth between nav and trip screens for different types of road information.  A couple of times have also found the need to do the "find nearest fuel" and can manage that series of pushes without having to stop.

You're right in that new data or addresses or other things of that level of detail need be done while you're sitting still.  But things that are already loaded can be done with no more (perhaps less after I've gotten used to it) than turning the radio on and off.

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.