Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poor Quality Paint ? Or is it just me?  (Read 3023 times)

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
Poor Quality Paint ? Or is it just me?
« on: May 14, 2004, 10:04:58 AM »

Hey guys, are any of you getting a lot more chips and nics in the paint on these bikes.

My 01 ultra "Sunglo Jade Pearl" has 24000 miles on it, and has less paint chips than my SEEG with 3000 miles on it. I'm talkin about rock chips.
At the rate I'm going I'll be needing another paint job by the time I hit 20000 miles.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Poor Quality Paint ? Or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 10:15:57 AM »

Mine doesn't seem to be getting them any faster than my Ultra Classic did.  I think the bright blue might make them stand out a little more than they did on the black.

AK bought an extra set of leg fairings and I'm thinkin of doing the same.  

The leg fairings seems to be the only place that I get them.  A friend, who rides an Ultra has high miles and very, very few chips.  Now he's not an aggressive rider at all and he says it's cause I follow other vehicles too closely.  I guess there's some validation to that....the rocks have to come from somewhere.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cvodude

• Baggers Forever
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 06:14:56 PM »

I've noticed a big difference in the quality/depth of the clear coat on my 04 Seeg versus the 03 SE Duece. Seems much better on the Duece.
2003 Screaming Eagle Duece
2004 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 09:01:12 PM »

I've noticed a big difference in the quality/depth of the clear coat on my 04 Seeg versus the 03 SE Duece. Seems much better on the Duece.

Welcome to the board.  I see you're from Clayton.  There are a few of us on here from Nor Cal.  King Salmon works in Concord, AK is from Cupertino and several of us from Sac.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 10:03:40 AM »

You could try the 3M clear protective coating.  I have had this installed on most bikes I have owned and although I haven't done it yet on my SEEG, I did do my 03 Ultra when I owned it.  I did the face of the lowers, the backside & top of the tourpak (under & behind the backrest), the fronts & undersides of the luggage, the front fairing, headlite & passing lamps.  It cost about $200.00 at a local window tint shop.  I holds up well if you wax it like the rest of the bike but I had it replaced every year on other bikes.  
You wont notice it on the bike but there are some down sides to it.  You can not use a powerwasher.  If there is a tiny rip in the coating from a rock that is not noticable to the eye the powerwash could lift or tear the coating.  It also cannot be removed safely without heat & a special process so you need to have it done by a shop.  Also, it does not look good on black paint, you get a little orange peel effect when installed on black paint.
I am having it installed on my Black/Blue in the next couple of weeks.  I am doing the tourpaks, the bottoms of the luggage, faces of the lowers, tops of the side panels (where HD made a feable attempt), and the headlite.  I will see how it looks before making a decision on doing the fairing.
I don't have any pic's to show you at hand other than one of the chrome rad cover on my V-Rod that has the 6mm protective coating on it.  You cannot notice it at all. Pic attached.
Darrell

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 12:36:10 PM »

Darrell will it be possible for you to get pics of them doing your bike and post here?

West Coast GTG   

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 08:18:47 PM »

I can leave a digital camera with the shop and ask them to take some pics of the process.  They normally don't give you an exact time for the install, I just drop off the bike & they take care of it through the day.
Darrell

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 08:21:26 AM »

Somebody on EBay sells laser cut set of film for bikes by model,  can't get a link (not allowed at work) was under body parts.  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 09:48:32 PM »

Speaking of paint quality.  I just detailed my SEEG (3hrs) and noticed that the clearcoat on the front fender has "bubbled" slightly on the trailing edge of the fender. It looks almost as if drops of something corrosive spilled on the fender... but in that location, I can't imagine what would have caused it.  It was never there before and I'm kinda' at a loss.  Anyway, it's minor enough where I think a good body shop will be able to buff it out, but will check with HD dealer to see if it's covered under warranty (not). Anybody else have anything like that?  PJ  

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 10:42:09 PM »

No problems with paint here, just chrome, but that's a different thread.  The paint quality on my SEEG seems virtually identical to the '02 Classic I had prior, which is to say, very good.  The only rock chips I have are on the front of my tour-pak and I'm still trying to figure out how the heck they got there, but otherwise, everything looks great.

If you want to see some crappy H-D paint sometime, take a look at an '04 Sierra Red or two-tone Sierra Red and Brilliant (huh?) Silver Electra Glide Classic or Ultra Classic.  The Sierra Red is the dullest, most orange-peel finish I've seen in my life and the silver they two-tone it with is no better.  No amount of polishing could ever make that color look right.  Makes me wonder did they want it that way for some reason?

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.