Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Rat Survivor Bushtec Trailer  (Read 19839 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Rat Survivor Bushtec Trailer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 03:44:30 PM »

...another one.
Hey, Doc.......thanks for taking the pics & posting 'em.  :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :smart: :dankk2: :2vrolijk_09: This is much better than watching TV.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »

Nice job on the frame, while you have it down that far you may want to look at adding this for on the fly load adjustment.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/08011.htm

You may also want to get this adapter to connect it to your bikes wiring.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=3D295022-9732-4307-B3B1-3D555753DF53

Thanks for posting the progress pictures. :2vrolijk_21:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 11:28:05 PM »

Hey, Doc.......thanks for taking the pics & posting 'em.  :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :smart: :dankk2: :2vrolijk_09: This is much better than watching TV.  har!  spyder

:beerchug:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »

Nice job on the frame, while you have it down that far you may want to look at adding this for on the fly load adjustment.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/08011.htm

You may also want to get this adapter to connect it to your bikes wiring.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=3D295022-9732-4307-B3B1-3D555753DF53

Thanks for posting the progress pictures. :2vrolijk_21: 

Thanks for the links, maybe after Sedona I'll look into these products.  :2vrolijk_21:  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 11:41:41 PM »

Thanks for the links, maybe after Sedona I'll look into these products.  :2vrolijk_21:  Doc

Doc, that harness adaptor from J&P (or the same thing from a few sources on eBay) is something you really should grab now.  It'll make the hook up a lot quicker and easier.

Strictly in the category of "for what it's worth;" Bushtec will send you a harness isolator along with the hitch package.  It's a rash of spagetti waiting for a place to happen.  For me and at least a couple others I know of it's also been a failure point.

The better and final solution for me was to just not use their isolator.  Use that interconnect adaptor instead for an install that requires no splices to the stock wiring.  And mitigate the lack of the isolator buy just using LED bulbs everyplace in the trailer.  I protected the bike even more by putting a low amp in line fuse downwind of that interconnect adaptor on the way to the trailer also.  So if anything happens behind the bike it'll stop right there. 

It's an overall much simpler install then Bushtec's isolator thing.  It doesn't have the failure potential that the isolator seems to.  And it can be a MUCH neater install when it's all done.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »

Update as of Monday am:

Paint :wall:  Last week "No problem we can match anyting"  Today "What do you call those colors"

Hitch  :wall: Last week "We don't have any here, but the truck has plenty". Today "The truck is here but I don't know if the boss will let me   have one, call back in 2 hours". (Bushtec)

Put the shocks on last night and they hold air. ;D

Ordered the wiring connector from JP Cycles, Thanks for the heads up.  :2vrolijk_21:   Doc

hogasm

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »

Update as of Monday am:

Paint :wall:  Last week "No problem we can match anyting"  Today "What do you call those colors"

Hitch  :wall: Last week "We don't have any here, but the truck has plenty". Today "The truck is here but I don't know if the boss will let me   have one, call back in 2 hours". (Bushtec)

Put the shocks on last night and they hold air. ;D

Ordered the wiring connector from JP Cycles, Thanks for the heads up.  :2vrolijk_21:   Doc

I have a Bushtec hitch here at the house that I just got back from the powder coater. I fits my 04 SEEG.

If you need it PM me

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »

Monday afternoon uptade:

Hitch    :2vrolijk_21: John at Bushtec took care of my order. Now that's customer service.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  Thanks Hogasm.

Paint     :wall:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:28 AM »

Tuesday am:

Wiring and shock lines going it. I emailed a pic to John at Bushtec and he said it was the "Untimate" model that was discontinued in 1989. As near as I can tell this one was made in 1987.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:46 PM »

It's an overall much simpler install then Bushtec's isolator thing.  It doesn't have the failure potential that the isolator seems to.  And it can be a MUCH neater install when it's all done.

Twolane, I got the J&P connector today. It looks like it has a separate stop wire, so does that mean I have to run five wires back to the trailer and have a separate bulb for the "stop". This would need a five pin trailer connector instead of four. Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 01:07:13 AM »

Twolane, I got the J&P connector today. It looks like it has a separate stop wire, so does that mean I have to run five wires back to the trailer and have a separate bulb for the "stop". This would need a five pin trailer connector instead of four. Doc

Yes, that's correct.  Brake is isolated in the motorcycle application.  The trailer harness (separate from the isolator) that Bushtec will supply as part of the hitch package is a six pin.  So you're good.  The sixth leg in their harness is for an unswitched power source that might go to an interior light in the trailer.  OE they don't use that themselves and wire interior lights off the running lamp feed.  Requires the switch to be on have interior light in the trailer but eliminates the potential to run the battery down if the lid is left open or the light stays on.

I ended up supplying an unswitched source in to the trailer anyway.  But to a connector to charge the cell phone.  Little map pocket in the rear of the trailer they sell as an accessory is a very handy out of the way place to keep it and have it still within Bluetooth range of the Garmin unit on the handlebars.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 08:41:34 AM »

I ended up supplying an unswitched source in to the trailer anyway.  But to a connector to charge the cell phone.  Little map pocket in the rear of the trailer they sell as an accessory is a very handy out of the way place to keep it and have it still within Bluetooth range of the Garmin unit on the handlebars.

Clever...I love this website.   Thanks, I'll see you in a few days.  :2vrolijk_09:  Doc

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

I have a Bushtec hitch here at the house that I just got back from the powder coater. I fits my 04 SEEG.

If you need it PM me

What color did you get it done? :nixweiss:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »

Update as of Wednesday pm:

Paint  ;D  coming along, will pick up tomorrow   

Rims  :wall:  powder coated the wrong color, will redo and be ready tomorrow

Wiring and shock lines finished and checked out  :D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 10:31:21 PM »

Update as of Wednesday pm:

Paint  ;D  coming along, will pick up tomorrow   

Rims  :wall:  powder coated the wrong color, will redo and be ready tomorrow

Wiring and shock lines finished and checked out  :D

And you're leaving when :huepfenlol2: :drink: ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.