Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 CVO ROAD GLIDE VALVE TRAIN NOISE  (Read 2291 times)

slsecvorg110

• Full CVO Member
  • FLTRSE3 CV0

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
2009 CVO ROAD GLIDE VALVE TRAIN NOISE
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »

At 18,000 miles I started getting a very loud random metallic click or tapping noise from what seems to be the upper end of the front cylinder. With my scope it is most pronounced at the front upper end where the engine is tied to the frame. It started after a 200 mile ride and the bike sitting for almost a week.  I started it up (75 degrees) to go for a ride. I heard something I had not heard before so I shut it down. It sounds like a lifter not pumped up but I would think it would be a consistant rather than random noise. The bike is well maintained and not thrashed at all. I have dropped it off at the dealer and suggested to them maybe a lifter or even possibly the cam chain tensioner may be the issue. I realize that there are quite a few things it may be but just curious if anyone has had a similar experience. The dealer told me that both the lifters and the cam chain tensioner should not be an issue at this mileage but I have read some horror stories that have me concerned. The older twin cams with non hydraulic tensioners were more likely to cause problems from what I have read. I have discussed the idea of going to gear drive but have been advised against it due to excessive noise. I love the bike and this is the first time it has given me problems. I am running 2" Fullsac baffles and their fuel map. The cats are out and I am also using the K&N air filter. I switched to 20w50 Amsoil at my last oil change. Was running Harley Synthetic since new. Heard the amzoil would run cooler so I thought I would give it a try. I feel certain oil is not the issue but it is the only thing that was changed. Just fishing! I will fix the bike and will spare no expense to make it right. Just don't want to be taken to the cleaners to get there.
Orange you glad you got one?  I am!
TTS Mastertune with Fullsac Map. K&N Element.
Fullsac 2" Baffles, Gutted Cat. Bosch Iridium Plugs. 440 Progressive shocks, Passenger floor boards with angle spacers, Driver boards spaced 1". LePera Sorrento Seat. ClearView Re curve wind shield. Mini Beast air horn. Pulsing brake light module. Hyper white head lamps. Detach Chopped Tour Pack. George Anderson Tour Pack Relocator. Wild one 517 bars.

wolfeman181

Re: 2009 CVO ROAD GLIDE VALVE TRAIN NOISE
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »

I recently took a 2400 mile ride on my old 1988 Heritage that has 110,000 miles on it. I noticed that the valve noise was increasing as the miles went by, it became worse at half throttle and up. When I returned home I rebuilt the oil pump and replaced all 4 lifters. I also installed an oil gauge to monitor the engines actual oil pressure. I inspected the cam for wear due to the miles I ran while it clattered. I did keep the engine at lower speeds to reduce the danger of further damage.
 After the repairs were completed on the old Evo,  it is quiet at all rpms, and it's performance was greatly increased. The lifters were failing to pump up to there proper levels and thus lowing performance and creating excessive valve noise.
 I also have time savers, so is you have these be sure to follow the installation instructions to the letter, and remember that the thread count determines the amount of flats required in adjustment.
                               wolfeman181

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:37:46 AM »

And actually on those Evo's, a service bulletin was issued to the dealer level to "inspect and/or replace" those lifters at 25,000 miles. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »

At 18,000 miles I started getting a very loud random metallic click or tapping noise from what seems to be the upper end of the front cylinder. With my scope it is most pronounced at the front upper end where the engine is tied to the frame. It started after a 200 mile ride and the bike sitting for almost a week.  I started it up (75 degrees) to go for a ride. I heard something I had not heard before so I shut it down. It sounds like a lifter not pumped up but I would think it would be a consistant rather than random noise. The bike is well maintained and not thrashed at all. I have dropped it off at the dealer and suggested to them maybe a lifter or even possibly the cam chain tensioner may be the issue. I realize that there are quite a few things it may be but just curious if anyone has had a similar experience. The dealer told me that both the lifters and the cam chain tensioner should not be an issue at this mileage but I have read some horror stories that have me concerned. The older twin cams with non hydraulic tensioners were more likely to cause problems from what I have read. I have discussed the idea of going to gear drive but have been advised against it due to excessive noise. I love the bike and this is the first time it has given me problems. I am running 2" Fullsac baffles and their fuel map. The cats are out and I am also using the K&N air filter. I switched to 20w50 Amsoil at my last oil change. Was running Harley Synthetic since new. Heard the amzoil would run cooler so I thought I would give it a try. I feel certain oil is not the issue but it is the only thing that was changed. Just fishing! I will fix the bike and will spare no expense to make it right. Just don't want to be taken to the cleaners to get there.

This noise is solid or hollow in sound? Lifters can cause this as well piston to cylinder wall clearance, crank pin bearing.. many time the noise may turn into a different sound. Meaning that something is working towards being much worse off than it is currently so its current sound is really not fully being produced. IE the somewhat random noise you hear. You are located in a somewhat colder climate , winter is all most here. Take it apart and start checking the common things, many times the piston is a larger contributor with noise.  Once warm does the noise increase or decrease?  It really may be something very basic and not take much to correct the problem and have you back up and running.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 22 queries.