Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear drive cam  (Read 2731 times)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
Gear drive cam
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:25:56 AM »

If I want to go with gear drive cam can I use stock cam's or do they need to be replaced . If replacement is necessary what would be a good choice for enhancing torque. Any help is much appreciated. :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Gear drive cam
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »

If I want to go with gear drive cam can I use stock cam's or do they need to be replaced . If replacement is necessary what would be a good choice for enhancing torque. Any help is much appreciated. :nixweiss:

You can't use the stock cams to convert to gear drive. You also must check your crank runout before even considering them. If you're runout is beyond .0025" I wouldn't even consider going gear drive. If you're not doing extensive engine work and just want a little better performance, why not consider keeping the hydraulic tensioners and go with the SE 251's. They're bolt in cams, and the 110 runs very well with them and a 50mm SETB.

If you go with the gears, look at CR595 or Mackie 598 cams. But you'd really want to do some head work, and raise compression slightly with those cams.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 12:06:55 PM »

You can't use the stock cams to convert to gear drive. You also must check your crank runout before even considering them. If you're runout is beyond .0025" I wouldn't even consider going gear drive. If you're not doing extensive engine work and just want a little better performance, why not consider keeping the hydraulic tensioners and go with the SE 251's. They're bolt in cams, and the 110 runs very well with them and a 50mm SETB.

If you go with the gears, look at CR595 or Mackie 598 cams. But you'd really want to do some head work, and raise compression slightly with those cams.

Hoist! 8)
Thank's for the info. What is a 50mm SETB ? Can you tell I'm very mechanical  :huepfenlol2: I was thinking of doing away with the hyd tensioner because I'm hearing of failers that cause allot of damage, is that not the case or is it lack of maintenance causing the failers?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »

Thank's for the info. What is a 50mm SETB ? Can you tell I'm very mechanical  :huepfenlol2: I was thinking of doing away with the hyd tensioner because I'm hearing of failers that cause allot of damage, is that not the case or is it lack of maintenance causing the failers?

50mm Screamin Eagle Throttle Body, which if you have an '08, you should already have. If you're not very technical or mechanical, try to keep it simple. The 251 cam change alone, with a good exhaust and intake, should do you well. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »

The chain tensioners have been pretty reliable on the 110's. (something had to be reliable on the 110's - right?)   The tensioner's were more of a problem on the 103's.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »

Anyone running the Mackie 598's in a 110?  If so could you please post a dyno or link a dyno sheet for it and anyo other info about what you may have done to the bike/motor.

TIA,

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:40:59 PM »

Thank's for the advice , you actually saved me money isn't that agenest the rules.  ;D

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »

Oh don't worry...we'll help you spend it somewhere else on your scooter  8)

JW

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.