Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ? on Zumo  (Read 3345 times)

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE6
? on Zumo
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:03:41 PM »

Thinking about ditching the XM and GPS on the HK. Does the Zumo require an XM antenna or is it internal to the Zumo. I have not been able to determine this from Garmin. Also will the Zumo cradle mount to a Tech mount

MF

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: ? on Zumo
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »

The Zumo does not come with an XM antenna, it requires the GXM-30 antenna.  I'm not sure about the techmount, if it's compatable with the RAM mount, you're good to go.
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:14:48 PM »

Depends on how old the techmount is.The newer ones are compatable with the Zumo.Believe it's an amp pattern.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:03:21 AM »

Here are three pictures picture of the Cycle gadget XM-30 XM antennae mount for the Garmin 2730, they also may have on for th Zumo, go to www.cyclegadgets.com web site

Picture 1.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:17:45 AM by geezerglide »

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 12:04:25 AM »

Picture 2,

geezerglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:05:28 AM »

Picture 3,

geezerglide

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 01:55:54 AM »

Here are three pictures picture of the Cycle gadget XM-30 XM antennae mount for the Garmin 2730, they also may have on for th Zumo, go to www.cyclegadgets.com web site

Picture 1.

geezerglide

I was going to go this route but...

What I have done since is simply put the GXM-30 antenna in the glove box. I still get good reception and don't have to have the bracket (yet).

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »

I would definitely ditch the gps from the HK as any free standing and portable unit will out perform the Harley model.  Think twice about discarding the xm that is fully integrated into the radio.  No more handlebar controls, sound thru an FM channel which can't be as good as it is now, and an antenna that is nearly invisible even if mounted on top of the fairing.   How about those times when you don't care to mount the gps but want to listen to some tunes.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:34:23 AM »

The only problem I've got with the HK XM is reception...I've tried it on the factor mounting plate in the fairing, and on top of the radio, but I lose signal at the drop of a hat.  Just a tree line will cause me to lose signal.  I put it on top of the leather dash on the inner fairing and the difference in reception is DRAMATIC.  I'm going to pull the fairing and move it back to that spot...it doen't look bad if you just velcro it to the dash in the center, but I've got to come up with a better way to protect the wire so it won't get pinched by the windshield/fairing.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »

The only problem I've got with the HK XM is reception...I've tried it on the factor mounting plate in the fairing, and on top of the radio, but I lose signal at the drop of a hat.  Just a tree line will cause me to lose signal.  I put it on top of the leather dash on the inner fairing and the difference in reception is DRAMATIC.  I'm going to pull the fairing and move it back to that spot...it doen't look bad if you just velcro it to the dash in the center, but I've got to come up with a better way to protect the wire so it won't get pinched by the windshield/fairing.

My xm reception is perfect including in my garage with door closed.
Antenna is wedged between windscreen and dash where they intersect on a roadglide.  Tried inside the fairing as specified in the manual and it was horrible.  I have since installed one for a friend on the outside and his too is perfect.. 
I see 2 possible causes for your problem.
1.  Your area does not have land based antenna to supplement the signal from the heavens.  I don't think this is it because of a trip I took last summer South Central Utah without even a hiccup in reception.
2.  Some problem with your antenna or the xm receiver.
Before going thru more trouble have the unit as well as the antenna checked out.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »

My xm reception is perfect including in my garage with door closed.
Antenna is wedged between windscreen and dash where they intersect on a roadglide.  Tried inside the fairing as specified in the manual and it was horrible.  I have since installed one for a friend on the outside and his too is perfect.. 
I see 2 possible causes for your problem.
1.  Your area does not have land based antenna to supplement the signal from the heavens.  I don't think this is it because of a trip I took last summer South Central Utah without even a hiccup in reception.
2.  Some problem with your antenna or the xm receiver.
Before going thru more trouble have the unit as well as the antenna checked out.

It's a new antenna, so I don't think that's the problem (replaced because I pinched the wire, tried to repair without sucess), and for the time I had it on top of the dash, it would even pick up in the basement most of the time.  I just need to get it back out on the dash and cushion the small wire with a covering of some kind.  Ideally, having the antenna recessed a bit into the leather top of the dash would be best, but I'm reluctant to cut the dash up or drill holes in the inner fairing.  Gotta do something though...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »

First, I would also like to second the opinion that the stock HD XM radio unit be kept, vs the Garmin.  If for no other reason than to have tunes when the GPS is not on board.  I did have a problem with my XM unit when I first got my bike, but since they replaced it, I get great reception.  On my travels from CA to Sturgis, there were very few places that I lost signal.  As for the techmount, I highly recommend them. I believe the 3099mc is the new one that works great with the Zumo.  I posted pics in another subject called Zumo.  Check it out.  Good luck and if you have any further questions, let me know.  I do use the MP3 and the bluetooth on the Zumo.

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 09:24:57 AM »

Hey Thanks

OK I am going with the Zumo. Tech mount and Ill keep the HK ZM. I have never had any issue with the XM reception work great even in the garage. Ill send pics when mounted

Thanks again for your input

MF

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.