Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hawg Wired Blown Crossover Led to Blown Amp, or Vice Versa?  (Read 1591 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Hawg Wired Blown Crossover Led to Blown Amp, or Vice Versa?
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »

Holy cow!  Anyone ever had this happen?  On the way back from my trip out west this June, I started getting a bunch of feedback through the right speaker anytime the ignition was on.  Finally got so bad going to Bristol for last Saturday's NASCAR race, that I had to have a look as the stereo was becoming un-listen-able.

So .... I pulled the fairing off to find this blown crossover on the left speaker. :confused5:  I had bought another direct connect plug and play amp and speakers from Boatman to put in my SERG last year but never got around to installing it, so I replaced the crossover, only to find the static and feedback was still there in the right speaker.  Started jiggling around on the wiring harness and when I got to the one that plugs into the Hawg Wired amp, it started popping and crackling pretty good through the speakers, so I replaced the harness, first.  That didn't make a bit of difference, so then I swapped the amp out and everything's back to normal, now.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before, or know the cause?  I'm not sure if the crossover failing took out the amp, or the other way around.  The strange thing was the left speaker seemed to play normally throughout all this.  All I know is that the packing from that little tiny capacitor sure left a helluva mess all over the inside of my fairing! :P

I'm outta warranty, so I guess it's good I had the extra unit from Bob, just hoping this is a one-off incident.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Hawg Wired Blown Crossover Led to Blown Amp, or Vice Versa?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »

Pretty much of a mess in their Brian.  Call Hawg Wired tomorrow and maybe they will step up to the plate and warranty it as everything is their's except for the radio.   Bob

sharknu

Re: Hawg Wired Blown Crossover Led to Blown Amp, or Vice Versa?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:24:35 AM »

That crossover which blew is for the CX speaker system...the DX crossover looks different.....my CX crossover capacitor blew out too.....I then bought a DX speaker system and that newly designed capacitor blew out too. I contacted them about 4 days ago and they are sending me a new set of DX speakers and of course with the new crossovers which they say are different from the original DX crosovers I just recieved about 8 months ago. Now that makes 3 different type of crossovers I have had in a short amount of time. 1)CX crossovers 2)New DX crossovers 3)The newest style DX crossovers they are sending me with the new speakers which they say are different from the DX crossover I got about 8 months ago. I have the amp settings within the range posted in their instructions. All I have to say is Hawg Wired is giving me outstanding service!!!!! Hats off to them for their warranty support and I will definitely be buying more products from them. I am a very happy customer of theirs!!!!!
Later,
Sharknu

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.