Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Amp & speakers for FLHTCUSE7  (Read 8254 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Amp & speakers for FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »

The only other thing I'm considering is putting Hog Tunes 7" "woofers" in the lower fairings.  I have a new set sitting in the box in my garage that I bought two years ago, so I might as well try them.  They aren't really woofers, but I'm hoping they make a little more bass. 

What are you going to use to power the Hog Tunes in the lowers?  I'm thinking the amp you have in the fairing may be a little too much for those speakers to handle (without taking a look at the specs).  On my last bike, I had Hog Tunes front and rear, in the lowers, and the Hog Tunes Tweeter Pod.  It never seemed as though I could really hear the speakers in the lowers, as they seemed to be overshadowed by the speakers in the fairing.  That's why I didn't put speakers in the lowers again.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »

The Hog Tunes "woofers" come with a 140 watt amp as a package.  I'm not sure speakers in the lowers will be worthwhile, but it won't hurt to try, since I already have the speakers.  On my '12 Street Glide, the lowers speakers were useless, but I'm really wondering if it was the poor quality of the stock speakers. 

Glenncarp

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 11:46:30 AM »

Wow, those pods look huge on there.  Are they open at the rear to take advantage of the vents into the tourpak, which is supposed to help with the bass?  They look like the aim the speakers much more inward instead of at the rider, which I would imagine would make those harder to hear.  Did you try putting Dynamat inside the fairing?  I did that with mine and it seemed to make the bass much tighter and seemed to make the sound more directed to me.  Before and after Dynamat, if you put your hand in front of the speaker you can feel an airstream coming at your hands multiple times what it was before adding the Dynamat.  It was a very noticeable difference.  I went a bit overboard with the Dynamat to make sure I wasn't losing anything via that route.

That's what I asked, too, and they said porting the pods didn't really make much difference in the bass.

I installed a RF 300x2 amp on top of my stock HK head unit under the front fairing to power my fairing speakers (6.5" Polk MM651s); and my stock Harley Boom amp mounted under the tour pak powers the rear speaker pods. I put a set of the new J&M 5.25" speakers in them. I'm pleased with the sound, and it was fairly inexpensive as far as audio upgrades go.

I agree.  The stock unit is okay with stock pipes at speeds up to 60 mph, maybe.  Anything in the real world needs a little more, but to really sound good, one would have to spend thousands.  I think what you did makes the most sense for the $$$.   :2vrolijk_21:

The only other thing I'm considering is putting Hog Tunes 7" "woofers" in the lower fairings.  I have a new set sitting in the box in my garage that I bought two years ago, so I might as well try them.  They aren't really woofers, but I'm hoping they make a little more bass. 

I can confirm that the porting to the tour pack definitely adds bass response. Just remember you have to have the Amp "flashed" so it produces more lower end to take advantage of the ports. I am going to line my pods with sound mat once the HAT's are installed to increase the port effect. Ill report back. Still waiting on my back ordered amp!

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 24 queries.