Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop and go traffic 300* oil temp no clutch!  (Read 2973 times)

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

Stop and go traffic 300* oil temp no clutch!
« on: November 21, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »

Ok 2012 cvo7 electraglide ultra

Stop and go traffic for an hour

2nd time it's done this

Clutch lever gets closer and closer to handlebar

Then nothing!!! Lever to the bar no pressure at all!

Btw ambient temp 63 deg

Clutch fluid level is good

1. What fluid has the highest boiling point?

2. Do I really need additional oil coolers and a cooling fan for stock oil cooler just for stop and go traffic?

3. Should I move fullsac pipe to top of list priority and get rid of cat converter stock pipe?

4. Bike has power commander v with a tune... runs like a raped ape and getting 42 mpg since finding 02 sensors disconnected... and reconnecting

5 Is there anything in clutch, actuator etc I need to check?

6 when I changed all 4 holes everything looked smelled great

First harley with a hydraulic clutch works great when it works but completely losing pressure really sucks

2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Stop and go traffic 300* oil temp no clutch!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »

The fluid is boiling from the heat of the engine and exhaust. Owner's manual states that it should be changed every two years. I'd put that as a priority service on your list.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »

Flush the clutch hydraulic system and refill with fresh DOT 4 fluid, then consider insulating the clutch hydraulic line where it runs in close proximity to the exhaust system.  Getting rid of the catalyst should make a significant difference in the amount of heat transferred to the clutch fluid.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

6 when I changed all 4 holes everything looked smelled great

i may be missing something, but what is the 4th hole?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »

Wow turned 3 holes into 4!

I am a magician!!!

:carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber:
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 04:41:28 AM »

Pick yourself up some 1" heat rap and rap the part of the hydraulic line where it's connected to the fram and runs down under the engine belly and near the exhaust that will cure the fluid from boiling.
Had the same problem with mine once I rapped the line with the heat rap haven't had a problem since.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:30:47 AM »

Some corrugated split wire loom works pretty good for this application, just throwing out some options.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »

DEI makes some excellent heat insulating products. They have some that would work great on clutch line. Comes in shiny colors as well as black and different lengths.
Call them and they will tell you which product for your application.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 10:15:55 AM »

Like previous, change the fluid. 

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »

Excuse me for being dumb but I don't understand the mechanics of what's going on here.  The brake fluid is apparently boiling from exhaust heat releasing oxygen (air) from the fluid & creating 'bubbles' in the line?  Where's the fluid going that's displaced by the bubbles, into the master cylinder?  I do understand that air bubbles then compress when lever pressure is applied & cause the system to fail but how is the system restored when the fluid cools down?  Is the oxygen (air) reabsorbed into the fluid?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 06:41:10 PM »

Excuse me for being dumb but I don't understand the mechanics of what's going on here.  The brake fluid is apparently boiling from exhaust heat releasing oxygen (air) from the fluid & creating 'bubbles' in the line?  Where's the fluid going that's displaced by the bubbles, into the master cylinder?  I do understand that air bubbles then compress when lever pressure is applied & cause the system to fail but how is the system restored when the fluid cools down?  Is the oxygen (air) reabsorbed into the fluid?
The answer to your questions is "Sorta."   :)

Anything in the hydraulic system that is already a gas (like air) or that can turn to gas (i.e., a fluid that boils) can cause loss of braking, ranging from a spongy pedal/lever to flooring the brake pedal/lever (total failure). 

The most common things in a hydraulic system that can turn to gas are air, water, and hydraulic fluid (HF)...yes, even HF can boil, although its boiling point temperature is much higher than water.  The first HF was water, but soon it was changed to oil to deal with the boiling problem.

As you noted, the bubbles compress when you squeeze the lever, but the slave cylinder doesn't move the brakes (or clutch) until all of the gas has been squeezed back into liquid.  If the master cylinder reaches full stroke before all the gas is turned to liquid...hello, foot to the floorboard.

BTW, when the HF exceeds the breakdown temperature, the oil molecules split into smaller molecules.  The problem then: the smaller molecules boil at a lower temp than the original full-size molecules, and the fluid loses viscosity (thickness).  Then the fluid can leak past the pistons in the cylinders, with the same loss of function as above.  This is why I use synthetic HF; just like synthetic engine oil and tranny fluid, it stands up to high temperatures better than dinosaur juice.  It does degrade over time, though, so it needs to be changed out.  Since your HF already has been boiled, it's definitely time to replace it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:42:55 PM by Para Bellum »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »

But neither DOT 3, 4, or 5 are synthetic, are they?  Who makes synthetic & what's its trade name?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 07:30:53 PM »

But neither DOT 3, 4, or 5 are synthetic, are they?  Who makes synthetic & what's its trade name?
Many companies make syn HF, such as Lucas, Shell, Castrol, AMSoil, Mobil, etc.  You can get it at any auto parts store like O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Pep Boys.  Just look for the word "Synthetic" on the label.

Use DOT 4 for the bike.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »

All of my oldie-goldie stuff - '80 Sturgis, '94 RK, '00 RG - came with DOT 5.  Any reason I should change to DOT 4? Is there such a thing as synthetic DOT 5?

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »

DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone based. DOT 3 (standard) and DOT 4 (heavy-duty) are glycol-based. It can be distinguished from conventional brake fluids by its purple color (which comes from a dye).

Silicone does not absorb moisture. DOT 5 brake fluid does not become contaminated with moisture over time as conventional DOT 3 and 4 brake fluids do. Silicone is also chemically inert, nontoxic and won't damage paint like conventional brake fluid. It also has a higher boiling point.

Because of this, it is often marketed as a premium "lifetime" brake fluid. It is often used to preserve brake systems in antique vehicles and those that sit for long periods of time between use.

DOT 5 silicone brake fluid is also very expensive (costing four to five times as much as ordinary brake fluid), and it won't mix with glyco- based brake fluid (creating concern over sludging if all old fluid isn't removed when a system is refilled with silicone).

Silicone also has slightly different physical properties and compressibility, making it unsuitable for ABS systems calibrated to work with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

T-MAN 117 kit

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.