Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch Adjustment???  (Read 5243 times)

speedy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Fatboy
Clutch Adjustment???
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:52 PM »

G`day gang,
                  I`m wanting to adjust the hydraulic clutch on my `06 SEFB today and wonder if anyone can shed light on exactly how to go about this?? If not I`ll just go about it blind.

Cheers,
           Speedy.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Clutch Adjustment???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:32:54 PM »

G`day gang,
                  I`m wanting to adjust the hydraulic clutch on my `06 SEFB today and wonder if anyone can shed light on exactly how to go about this?? If not I`ll just go about it blind.

Cheers,
           Speedy.
Speedy,

There is no adjustment on the hydraulic clutch, other than bleeding any air out of the hydraulics.  Are you looking to do this just as preventative maintenance, or are you having a problem?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

speedy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:10 PM »

Yeah I have a problem, with the clutch lever pulled right in the clutch is still just slightly engaging. Makes it particullarly hard to get neutral while stopped with the engine running. BTW there is no air in it. It is worse now that I have installed slightly larger grips.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:18:21 PM »

Yeah I have a problem, with the clutch lever pulled right in the clutch is still just slightly engaging. Makes it particullarly hard to get neutral while stopped with the engine running. BTW there is no air in it. It is worse now that I have installed slightly larger grips.

Therein lies one of the disadvantages of the H-D hydraulic clutch.  Even with the stock grips, the clutch just barely releases with the lever pulled in completely to the grip.  If you change to a larger diameter grip, the lever can't be pulled in as far and now you get clutch drag.

I don't know of any easy way to eliminate this problem other than going back to smaller diameter grips.  A master cylinder with a larger piston would help, or a different shape lever that allowed more travel before bottoming on the grip.  Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge neither of those items is available. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

speedy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:22:15 PM »

Is there no internal adjustment? If I remove the cover from the trans where the hydraulic hose goes in will there not be some form of adjustment there?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »

Is there no internal adjustment? If I remove the cover from the trans where the hydraulic hose goes in will there not be some form of adjustment there?

Sorry, unfortunately there is no adjustment at all.  The cable clutches have an adjustable length pushrod for adjustment, but the hydraulic units have a nonadjustable rod.  Due to the way the system works, changing the length of the rod wouldn't accomplish anything anyway, other than perhaps cause the actuator to bottom out and actually reduce travel at the clutch.

If you have or can borrow a dial indicator, you can verify that your system is working as designed by measuring the actual travel at the pushrod.  You should have at least 0.065 inch (1.65 mm) travel at the pushrod when operating the lever from fully engaged to fully released (against the grip).  That is the minimum spec, most will have significantly more travel.

Some folks have had issues that were traced to a faulty actuator (internally bypassing, resulting in insufficient travel).  The dealer can replace or rebuild the actuator if that is the problem.  It is also possible to get air trapped at the banjo fitting for the fluid line at the master cylinder.  Bleeding just at the fitting on the release cover won't eliminate air trapped at that fitting, you would need to carefully loosen the banjo fitting slightly to bleed it (had to do that on my bike).  Just be careful to wrap a rag around the fitting and protect the paint from the DOT4 fluid. 

If the clutch doesn't release fully but the master cylinder and actuator check out OK, and all air is definitely purged from the system, then you may have to go back to a smaller diameter grip.

Jerry

speedy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 02:31:19 AM »

Thanks Jerry for the very imformative indepth knowledge you have posted.
Before reading this I removed the derby cover and found there to be no adjustment but I also found none was needed either. As there was no freeplay at all, meaning that if I could adjust it, I would only introduce slippage.
I do have a dial indicator and could have measured the throw as you suggested, however it`s already back together. I probably will though next week some time get back in there and measure it just to be sure it`s right.
But I`m thinking it is probably within spec. The problem is as you said earlier that these HD hydraulic clutches are not suitable for thicker grips, even with the origional grips there is just only enough clutch lever travel available. I measured the grips I have on now at 42.5mm, the origionals at 38.5mm and another spare set I have at 37mm. I think I will probably put the smallest ones on which I`m sure will solve the problem. The other, much more expensive option would be a Grandeur Auto Clutch, which would work nicely but cost a lot. I`m really disappointed about the new grips not working as I had the same ones on my old bike and loved them because of the comfort factor, they are the neoprene foam rubber type, and I don`t like to wear gloves. Anyhow thanks again Jerry and I`ll update this thread if any thing else noteworthy happens.

Cheers,
           Speedy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:22:57 AM »

Therein lies one of the disadvantages of the H-D hydraulic clutch.  Even with the stock grips, the clutch just barely releases with the lever pulled in completely to the grip.  If you change to a larger diameter grip, the lever can't be pulled in as far and now you get clutch drag.

I don't know of any easy way to eliminate this problem other than going back to smaller diameter grips.  A master cylinder with a larger piston would help, or a different shape lever that allowed more travel before bottoming on the grip.  Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge neither of those items is available. 

Jerry

Jerry, I've got larger grips that fortunately work without issue.  Also have had since the bike was new a set of levers from Iron Braid.  They (obviously) have a braid on them adding to the extra thickness of the larger diameter grips.  Now I'm wondering if the spoons from Iron Braid are shaped a bit different.  Don't have a stock set around here to compare against.  Damn, I'll probably be curious about this for a good 40 or 45 seconds before my mind wanders to something else.....

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 04:04:46 AM »

Thanks Jerry for the very imformative indepth knowledge you have posted.
Before reading this I removed the derby cover and found there to be no adjustment but I also found none was needed either. As there was no freeplay at all, meaning that if I could adjust it, I would only introduce slippage.
I do have a dial indicator and could have measured the throw as you suggested, however it`s already back together. I probably will though next week some time get back in there and measure it just to be sure it`s right.
But I`m thinking it is probably within spec. The problem is as you said earlier that these HD hydraulic clutches are not suitable for thicker grips, even with the origional grips there is just only enough clutch lever travel available. I measured the grips I have on now at 42.5mm, the origionals at 38.5mm and another spare set I have at 37mm. I think I will probably put the smallest ones on which I`m sure will solve the problem. The other, much more expensive option would be a Grandeur Auto Clutch, which would work nicely but cost a lot. I`m really disappointed about the new grips not working as I had the same ones on my old bike and loved them because of the comfort factor, they are the neoprene foam rubber type, and I don`t like to wear gloves. Anyhow thanks again Jerry and I`ll update this thread if any thing else noteworthy happens.

Cheers,
           Speedy.

Speedy,

This does sound unusual to me as mine has 42mm grips standard & has always worked fine. I know we have different levers but I would have thought they were still the same shape. Maybe your clutch plates are simply worn out. You did tell me how much you enjoyed drag racing & that is very hard on your clutch.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:10 PM »

Here is an idea:  When I was a kid I crashed and bent my clutch lever.  I thought it was a really cool bend - kinda made a curl right out on the end.  This was great on a dirt bike, as it helped keep my hand from sliding toward the end of the lever.  I also noticed that this "custom modification" more effectively disengaged the clutch.

You might try to take the lever off and do your own "custom modification".  I would not try to bend it to the point that it curled back around, but you could probably easily bend it enough to fix your problem.....Just an idea :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »

Here is an idea:  When I was a kid I crashed and bent my clutch lever.  I thought it was a really cool bend - kinda made a curl right out on the end.  This was great on a dirt bike, as it helped keep my hand from sliding toward the end of the lever.  I also noticed that this "custom modification" more effectively disengaged the clutch.

You might try to take the lever off and do your own "custom modification".  I would not try to bend it to the point that it curled back around, but you could probably easily bend it enough to fix your problem.....Just an idea :nixweiss:

Be careful, they're cast levers and break easily! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »

"Be careful, they're cast levers and break easily!
Hoist!"

Yep, I have broke my share.  Not sure how you would go about bending one on purpose.  Not sure if it would help to heat it slightly? :nixweiss:

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »

I posted about difficulty hitting neutral on my SERK and the reply was that the clutch was adjustable in the primary as it is with a cable actuated system?  Can somebody with a shop manual verify which is correct?
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 22 queries.