Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A-1 oil ventilator dip stick for M8  (Read 2333 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
A-1 oil ventilator dip stick for M8
« on: July 13, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »

I am noticing more and more M8’s in Florida that have an oil dipstick ventilator.  Does anyone use this or have experience with the product.    Any thoughts on the engine benefits like slumping?

Fier23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: A-1 oil ventilator dip stick for M8
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:20:31 AM »

I am noticing more and more M8’s in Florida that have an oil dipstick ventilator.  Does anyone use this or have experience with the product.    Any thoughts on the engine benefits like slumping?

Subscribed. I’m curious about this also.

Jeremy 2019 Street Glide CVO Black Forest

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »

There are other threads that have already discussed this.  IMHO this is just one more of the many "solutions in search of a problem" various aftermarket companies like to release just to make money, knowing Harley owners will spend all kinds of money attempting to fix some of Harley's endless list of screw-ups.  Several companies have jumped on this particular idea btw, because it's simple and cheap for them to develop and sell at a handsome profit margin, and they can take advantage of all the fears about sumping and engine failures.  If you think an extra vent will somehow make your M8 run better or not sump, try removing the dipstick completely and covering the opening with some breathable mesh material (to keep debris out), then ride the bike like you normally would and see if you can identify any difference.  Try to remain objective versus allowing yourself to be "convinced" by a sales pitch.

JMHO -Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »

There are other threads that have already discussed this.  IMHO this is just one more of the many "solutions in search of a problem" various aftermarket companies like to release just to make money, knowing Harley owners will spend all kinds of money attempting to fix some of Harley's endless list of screw-ups.  Several companies have jumped on this particular idea btw, because it's simple and cheap for them to develop and sell at a handsome profit margin, and they can take advantage of all the fears about sumping and engine failures.  If you think an extra vent will somehow make your M8 run better or not sump, try removing the dipstick completely and covering the opening with some breathable mesh material (to keep debris out), then ride the bike like you normally would and see if you can identify any difference.  Try to remain objective versus allowing yourself to be "convinced" by a sales pitch.

JMHO -Jerry

Not just “aftermarket” companies
One of the sales pitches made to get me to trade my troublesome 2017 for the 2019 was that all the issues were fixed in the last 2 years.
Don’t know where the dealership got that information but it was not true in my case and a few others.
I put the blame at the factory top brass and the bad information trickles down the sewer to the customer.
 :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 09:42:22 PM »

I tend to think the dealership just made that statement up in an attempt to sell you a new bike. Or they really drank the Kool-Aid when their HD rep told them the lie in an effort to get them to take more inventory. Either way, it was a lie.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 10:11:57 PM »

I just bought the Fueling ventilated dipstick today and am going to try it. I completely understand that it may just be "snake oil" but I am willing to spend $300 to try (yea, I'm that desperate). My bike is mildly sumping just about every ride and if i just take it easy for a few miles it is fine. My thinking (wishing..) is this venting can help since it is mild. Good news is I will know quickly and of course will feel like a idiot if it doesn't work..
Alan

mark

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:18:26 PM »

Guys, I just can't wrap my head around the love affair so many have with a manufacturer that continues to fail.  Reminds me of the guy that's smitten with the hot girl, but she continually cheats and dissapoints, but then claims she'll change. 

I'm at a loss to explain why someone would pay $40k plus for a bike that sumps, has oil migration issues, etc., and hasn't ditched it for a BMW, Indian, or Honda yet.  It's not going to heal itself.  What a great bargain, you buy the MoCo's most high performance and expensive bike and it can't even make a 1,000 mile bike trip.  What's more baffling are the ones that had a problem with an early M8, then traded for another.  I'm sorry, but WTF...the girl isn't going to change.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:37:16 AM by Mark »

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 03:42:05 AM »

Fitted the A-1 vent, more as a neater breather solution rather than run head external breathers as i got a Heavy breather set up
Snake -oil , maybe depending on what you think it will fix, as for giving the head breathers an easier time( presume avoiding oil overfill) well the likes of T-man has been venting at dipstick for a while before the M8's came along.

To answer OP,i do not believe it will prevent sumping

Still intrigued,why CVO's seem more prone to sumping tho
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:53:04 AM by yobtaf103 »

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 07:34:47 AM »

its not to prevent sumping,it just lets the motor breath a bit better to keep oil out of the A/C,wont give any more HP/TQ.easy enough to modify yours instead of 100.00 piece anyway
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:43:01 AM by prodrag1320 »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »

Guys, I just can't wrap my head around the love affair so many have with a manufacturer that continues to fail.  Reminds me of the guy that's smitten with the hot girl, but she continually cheats and dissapointes, but then claims she'll change. 

I'm at a loss to explain why someone would pay $40k plus for a bike that sumps, has oil migration issues, etc., and hasn't ditched it for a BMW, Indian, or Honda yet.  It's not going to heal itself.  What a great bargain, you buy the MoCo's most high performance and expensive bike and it can't even make a 1,000 mile bike trip.  What's more baffling are the ones that had a problem with an early M8, then traded for another.  I'm sorry, but WTF...the girl isn't going to change.

I got it, although I did buy three new bikes from the 07 to my 09 I have now. My dealer relations were great at this time as I was throwing thousand dollar bills at them just in buying extra goodies. I use to have five in the barn.  :drink:

Between the million miles they tested the M8, and the million(s) the beta testers have done you can't convince me there is a couple of hundred dollar fix. HD knows exactly what the fix is, maybe.

The patent has run its course on the twin cam, HD loves to be proprietary in their cutting edge technology.  :P

I think I'll go for a ride now," lame 117" build and all.

Just Ride
Wut the hell was that maneuver

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »

its not to prevent sumping,it just lets the motor breath a bit better to keep oil out of the A/C,wont give any more HP/TQ.easy enough to modify yours instead of 100.00 piece anyway

And yet the opportunists selling these things heavily imply it will also "fix or improve" sumping.  I haven't heard any complaints on the M8's about oil carryover, especially of the kind that plagued the early Twin Cams, so assuming the stock breathers are installed correctly and not defective I can't imagine spending $150 - $300 for a fitting, piece of hose, and tiny canister is going to do much.  Meanwhile, the legal breather systems on most other emission controlled vehicles on the planet seem to work just fine and people aren't lining up to buy snake oil "solutions" to a non-existent problem.  As many have noted in the past, Harley owners seem to be some of the biggest suckers for snake oil peddlers, probably because Harley has so many deficient designs and quality issues they refuse to acknowledge and fix.  It's sad, but understandable I guess, that Harley owners feel the need to always be looking for "solutions" to Harley's issues instead of just riding the bikes without constant worries about what is going to fail next. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »

And yet the opportunists selling these things heavily imply it will also "fix or improve" sumping.  I haven't heard any complaints on the M8's about oil carryover, especially of the kind that plagued the early Twin Cams, so assuming the stock breathers are installed correctly and not defective I can't imagine spending $150 - $300 for a fitting, piece of hose, and tiny canister is going to do much.  Meanwhile, the legal breather systems on most other emission controlled vehicles on the planet seem to work just fine and people aren't lining up to buy snake oil "solutions" to a non-existent problem.  As many have noted in the past, Harley owners seem to be some of the biggest suckers for snake oil peddlers, probably because Harley has so many deficient designs and quality issues they refuse to acknowledge and fix.  It's sad, but understandable I guess, that Harley owners feel the need to always be looking for "solutions" to Harley's issues instead of just riding the bikes without constant worries about what is going to fail next. 

Jerry
I'll agree with this 100%. I will say though, venting your blow by tubes into the atmosphere will keep a bit of oil from building more carbon from your pistons and keep it from dripping from the AC.
  I venting my 2019 out and have about $25 in it. There's also a thread on this forum where a guy was dynoing bikes and took the oil cap off or used a vented dipstick and it made 0 difference in how the bikes performed. Below is the thread from Hardtail on this.

Re: ventilator crank case
[/color]
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
ReplyQuote
I have had the opportunity to have a few M8’s on the dyno the end of this week.  Two of them didn’t have the oil cap vented.  One was a 128 with head work putting out right under 150/150. Another was a 124 drop on putting out roughly 125/135.  The last one was a HD stage 4 114 w/ a different cam choice putting out 130 something and right under 130 tq.  All of these bikes did not have the prior sumping issues.   All of them did have after market pump and plate.  Both the blue and red brands.  Only the 114 had the oil cap vented and on my suggestion. He did spend the four dollars to put a one way in it.

My testing consisted of 100% throttle runs.  I would make 3 pull with oil cap on.  Pull oil cap and leave hole open and make 3 pull back to back.   The one with ventilator got the hose pulled off of cap and plugged.   This actually had three test.  Cap removed from bike, a plugged oil cap, and ventilator with check valve in place.

My findings?  Absolutely nothing.  No change in those back to back runs.  I suspected that there would be and I was wrong.   I also saw nothing gained.  So, the idea that it isn’t breathing enough is also debunked for me.   Anyway, findings posted either way.[/color]
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »

Guys, I just can't wrap my head around the love affair so many have with a manufacturer that continues to fail.  Reminds me of the guy that's smitten with the hot girl, but she continually cheats and dissapoints, but then claims she'll change. 

your right, thats why I bought a BMW Bagger. Crazy thing is I end up riding my CVO Roadglide more sumping and all. Da== hot girls!!!
Alan

Fier23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 06:05:34 PM »

So I modified my dipstick this way and now oil is shooting out of the cap seal itself. WTF? I plugged the bottom hole on the cap itself and it stopped. I thought doing this mod would’ve helped.

Jeremy 2019 Street Glide CVO Black Forest

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 25 queries.