Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Alternating Break Lights on SERG  (Read 16493 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Alternating Break Lights on SERG
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »

Hey gang, on my old bike I had the Kuryakyn Panacea tail lights.  I really like those lights.  They not only look cool they improve safety.  When applying the breaks the LED's flash several times, which gets the idiots attention behind ya.  I know they saved my bacon several times when stopping fast. 

I ridden with the Panacea lights in the city for many years and love them.  Now that I'm riding the SERG I noticed that they are hard to see.  The orange bike and break lights blend together.  Drivers that do not see the lights go on don't realize that I am stopping right away.  They tend to ride up on me a lot closer than I like. 

See and be seen is my motto, so I set out on a quest to address this problem.  My xenon lights take care of the front, but the breaks are a bit more of a challenge on the SERG.  Can't simply change the light or bulb.  In a tread MikeD said he wished he could get his spoiler to do the Knight Rider swooping thing, which got me thinking.  I don't have a spoiler to rig up, so I installed an LED system I found on the web under my tour pack that does the Knight Rider thing when I apply the breaks.  I also installed a flasher that alternates my break lights left to right and then flashes several times in tandem every time I put on the breaks. 

Here's a video of what I've done.  It no doubt gets the attention of the people behind me.  Most don't even get close when at a light. 

:bananarock:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Alternating Break Lights on SERG
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »

Most impressive Jim. What happens when you have a turn signal on?

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »

Most impressive Jim. What happens when you have a turn signal on?

Who uses turn signals  :nixweiss:

Kidding, they work like normal.  The breaks will do their flashing thing on the opposite side of the turn signal.  The turn signal flashes like normal when active.  Hazards work the same as well. 

FYI, the rear LED lights have three control feeds.  Break Light, Running Light and Turn Signal.  You splice into the break light portion to get this effect.  The Turn signal overrides the break light when active. It works as if it was designed that way.  No functionality issues whatsoever. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:30:29 PM by Jim Kerr »

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »

I like that as well Jim. Very nice. Can you post a link of the flasher that you used and some brief directions on how you did it.

Thanks
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »

I like that as well Jim. Very nice. Can you post a link of the flasher that you used and some brief directions on how you did it.

Thanks

Disclaimer:  This install is not as easy as drilling the cat or installing Fullsac baffles.  It requires a good knowledge of wiring and soldering.  You have to cut into the main break light harness.  It is not plug and play.  When you cut wires you need to make sure they are water tight when you put it back together.   

That said, it is not hard to do this. You just need to be very comfortable working with wiring.  A short could kill your very expensive, probably virtually impossible to replace, break lights. 

To get the alternating flash effect I used a product called Back Off.  There are several types of Back Off flashers that do different patterns; however, not all of them work with LED lights.  Read the specs carefully before ordering.  The one I got is called the wig-wag.  This is the one that alternates left then right and then flashes both.  It works very well on the bikes with two lights side by side like the SERG.  I got mine from Bikers Highway:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/backoff-wig-wag-brake-light-flasher-double-brake-lights-p-14.html

I found the Knight Rider LED on ebay somewhere.  Look around and you can find something similar, but in reality the wig-wag lights are very effective by themselves. 

I won't go into all of the details on the install, but you tap into the rear wire harness under the drivers seat.  The orange/Yellow wire goes to the break lights.  You cut the wiring here and put the Back Off device between the lights and the factory harness.  You also need to tap into the ground wire. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:03:39 PM by Jim Kerr »

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 09:04:04 PM »

My Canadian SERG doesn't have the turn signal / brake light combo. I guess from a safety issue it might be better, or at least more visable. I am going to check out the Panacea lights that you speak of.

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I do have a decent background in electrical and electronics so I would be comfortable doing this.
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »

My Canadian SERG doesn't have the turn signal / brake light combo. I guess from a safety issue it might be better, or at least more visable. I am going to check out the Panacea lights that you speak of.

I saw a pic of a Canadian bike on this site.  The Panacea lights would work for you no problem.  They are an OEM replacement for the standard H-D tail lights and turn signals.  You will not be disappointed with them.  They are bright and clear.  A million times better than stock lights. 

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 09:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I do have a decent background in electrical and electronics so I would be comfortable doing this.

You will not have a problem whatsoever.  Just get out the solder gun and heat shrink tubing. I would not use crimp connectors for this project.  Space is tight and water could short everything out in a heartbeat. The back off device is very small and can easily mount on the rear fender under the drivers seat. 

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »

Sounds good. I don't believe in the crimp style either. Solder and heatshrink is the only way to go.
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 09:32:20 PM »

So, it sounds like you guys are going to make me go out and buy a solder kit...I hate this forum! (jk) I guess that I have to step up to real world electrical connections now, no more electrical tape and crimping the connections.  Actually, it won't cost me anything as my son-in-law already has a couple of solder kits and I asked him earlier today if he would help me with installing my tourpak spoilers and saddlebag spoilers. Nice effects on the rear of your bike Jim.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »

So, it sounds like you guys are going to make me go out and buy a solder kit...I hate this forum! (jk) I guess that I have to step up to real world electrical connections now, no more electrical tape and crimping the connections.  Actually, it won't cost me anything as my son-in-law already has a couple of solder kits and I asked him earlier today if he would help me with installing my tourpak spoilers and saddlebag spoilers. Nice effects on the rear of your bike Jim.

FYI, Radio Shack sells pretty much everything you need.  Just turn and walk away form the electrical tape ;)  Heat Shrink tubing is the only thing you should use on a bike.  Tape leaks and will eventually deteriorate from the heat.  Crimp connectors corrode and will eventually fail.  The vibration of the bike will also work harden wiring at the crimp and it will snap.  Heat shrink tubing & soldered connections will last forever. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 10:12:14 PM by Jim Kerr »

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

Jim,

you have outdone yourself on this one.  The cat was awesome, but this is just darn cool and a saftey feature on top of that.  My SERG isnt coming until December, and I have to try this.  It would be very helpful if you could post a few pics and idiot safe instructions for us novices.  Thanks very much.  Ted

Ultra Villa

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

• CVO1: 14 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHX
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »

Geat job, it looks great and increases safety.   :carrot:
Live for today, for yesterday is already gone and tomorrow may never come.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:10 AM »

Jim;
  How does it affect the security on the scooter?  When you shut down and turn the bike off, the front and rear lights flash twice.  Have you tried setting off the alarm?   Thanks,

Sam
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »

How does it affect the security on the scooter?  When you shut down and turn the bike off, the front and rear lights flash twice.  Have you tried setting off the alarm?

The alarm works with the turn signal output, not the break lights.  This modification has no adverse effect on any signaling functionality of the bike.  Hazards, turn signals, etc. work the same when applying the breaks or not.  You would never know that it wasn't designed to operate this way. 

FYI, the SERG has three outputs to the tail lights (running lights, turn signals and break).  These are independent circuits and are designed to work together.  You only splice into the break light wiring to get the Back Off device to work.  The turn signals override break light input and flash as they did previously.   It's cool stuff. 

It would be very helpful if you could post a few pics and idiot safe instructions for us novices.

Unfortunately I did this install in my hangar at the airport and didn't have my camera with me like I normally do.  I will shoot a few pics of the final product and post them as soon as I can get the time.   

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »

Thanks Jim!

Sam

BTW...Should get my core bit by the end of the week and Dyno is scheduled for a week from Thursday!  Thanks for all the awesome info!!!!
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »

Wig-Wag on order found it for $35.95 and free shipping. Thanks Jim. Now where is my bike MOCO?? At CFR Lights.

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:28:15 PM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 02:25:28 PM »

Wig-Wag on order found it for $34.95 and free shipping. Thanks Jim. Now where is my bike MOCO??

Wig-Wag flasher $34.95, keeping an idiot driver from rear ending you -- Priceless! 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »

Wig-Wag flasher $34.95, keeping an idiot driver from rear ending you -- Priceless! 
I like it, another nice write up/pictorial.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »

Very cool Jim, as ususal.  Thanks for the info!

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 07:41:31 AM »

Dang Jim, another mod you have come up with I will have to do to my bike when I get it...

That is a great idea for the break lights...
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 07:51:38 AM »

Been riding the bike to/from work.  These break lights get attention from everyone.  They don't even get close at traffic lights.  Can't beat the price either.  $40 and it not only looks cool it greatly enhances safety.  This is one of the cheapest mods I've done so far and the one that I use more than anything else.   Every time I stop they do their thing and the people behind me slow down fast.  Love it! 

MikeD

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »

Been riding the bike to/from work.  These break lights get attention from everyone.  They don't even get close at traffic lights.  Can't beat the price either.  $40 and it not only looks cool it greatly enhances safety.  This is one of the cheapest mods I've done so far and the one that I use more than anything else.   Every time I stop they do their thing and the people behind me slow down fast.  Love it! 

Damn it Jim, it's like everything you do has great value to your bike...  and then mine!  Looks very cool and your right, it enhance the ability to see that kick @ss SERG on the road!

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

I just ordered the wig wag.  I am not getting my bike until December so I will have some time to figure this out.  Thanks again Jim for a great idea.

Ted

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »

Jim's the man!!!!   I have always done the Kuryakyn flasher to all my bikes.  It is always the very first mod to make the turn signals brake lights and flash!!!!  Was worried about the LED's and who made the safety feature.  Needless to say, mine will be here today.  Should be a cakewalk on installation.  Was Aircraft electronics in the Marines for 20 years.  Just gotta grab the right wire    :D
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 07:20:07 AM »

Jim's the man!!!!   I have always done the Kuryakyn flasher to all my bikes.  It is always the very first mod to make the turn signals brake lights and flash!!!!  Was worried about the LED's and who made the safety feature.  Needless to say, mine will be here today.  Should be a cakewalk on installation.  Was Aircraft electronics in the Marines for 20 years.  Just gotta grab the right wire    :D

Yep, me too.  Took me awhile to find something that would work with our LED's.  So far all is working better than the Kuryakyn lights.  This flash pattern is more noticeable. 

Damn it Jim, it's like everything you do has great value to your bike...  and then mine!  Looks very cool and your right, it enhance the ability to see that kick @ss SERG on the road!

Thanks MikeD, that's my goal.  The bikes are darn good by themselves.  There are just certain things we can do to make them better.  Xenon headlights, flashing tail lights and exhaust mods should be on the top of everyone's list.  These changes make the bike better, faster and safer. 

p.s. the Knight Rider LED's I put on the back were especially for you.  You mentioned it in your posing about your spoiler.  It can be done!  You could probably rewire the LED's on your spoiler to do something similar.  Wouldn't that be cool...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:22:41 AM by Jim Kerr »

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »

Jim;

What wires did you use going aft to the brake lights?  I saw the earlier post that you used the orange/yellow from the front.  I just want to be sure.  Will be installing it later this afternoon.

Still no core drill bits from McGills.  They are dragging about updating the website.   :confused5:

Sam
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

Jim;
  OK, once I pulled the seat it was all clear.  Installed and everything is kosher!!!!
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 12:08:37 PM »

Jim;
  OK, once I pulled the seat it was all clear.  Installed and everything is kosher!!!!

do you have any pic where you can highlight location and wires.  Also, did you do mode 1 or 2.  Thanks

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »

tlr;
  I did not take pics but when you pull the seat, aft of the battery there is a plug attached to the rear fender.  These wires go to the lights and you can see the wires split.  Remove the plug and cut back the covering.  The red w/yellow stripe has a splitter.  I cut the wire at the splitter and soldered the orange wire.  Then on the other side you have 2 red/yellow wires and you can see 1 goes left and 1 right.  Cut those wires and installed the white/red and red/white according to the instructions.  This will give you mode 2.  On that same harness you will see black wires that split.  This is a good ground and splice into them where it is convenient.  Took maybe 20 min.

Sam
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »

Hey gang, on my old bike I had the Kuryakyn Panacea tail lights.  I really like those lights.  They not only look cool they improve safety.  When applying the breaks the LED's flash several times, which gets the idiots attention behind ya.  I know they saved my bacon several times when stopping fast. 

I ridden with the Panacea lights in the city for many years and love them.  Now that I'm riding the SERG I noticed that they are hard to see.  The orange bike and break lights blend together.  Drivers that do not see the lights go on don't realize that I am stopping right away.  They tend to ride up on me a lot closer than I like. 

See and be seen is my motto, so I set out on a quest to address this problem.  My xenon lights take care of the front, but the breaks are a bit more of a challenge on the SERG.  Can't simply change the light or bulb.  In a tread MikeD said he wished he could get his spoiler to do the Knight Rider swooping thing, which got me thinking.  I don't have a spoiler to rig up, so I installed an LED system I found on the web under my tour pack that does the Knight Rider thing when I apply the breaks.  I also installed a flasher that alternates my break lights left to right and then flashes several times in tandem every time I put on the breaks. 

Here's a video of what I've done.  It no doubt gets the attention of the people behind me.  Most don't even get close when at a light. 

:bananarock:

I like the look of your back end.............................I do mean the bike :-[

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »

hey Jim, I am getting the chopped tour pack with the led spoiler, will I be able to make the spoiler led flash like the brake lights??
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »

hey Jim, I am getting the chopped tour pack with the led spoiler, will I be able to make the spoiler led flash like the brake lights??

Sure, you can wire it any way you want; however, the spoiler only has one light.  It doesn't have anything to alternate with.  What I would do is keep the spoiler on at all times and wire the break lights to alternate.  I've basically done this with my Knight Rider LED light.  It gets a constant break signal while the fender lights alternate.  I wired it this way so I could change it to a spoiler if I want to later. 

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »

Thanks for all the info you have supplied us here, I have all these mods to do, now all I need is the bike! Only thing helping me are the posts and pics from the lucky ones that have had their bikes delivered! Feb cant get here fast enough! thanks again Jim
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

cola

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »

Sure, you can wire it any way you want; however, the spoiler only has one light.  It doesn't have anything to alternate with.  What I would do is keep the spoiler on at all times and wire the break lights to alternate.  I've basically done this with my Knight Rider LED light.  It gets a constant break signal while the fender lights alternate.  I wired it this way so I could change it to a spoiler if I want to later. 

I think my spoiler light on my King pac is a run/tail & brake light. I also remember that there was a plug under the seat on my 07' Street Glide. I didn't have to cut any wiring. I have not tried it on the new bike yet. Still looking for the right painter to do the job. My 4 point & rack kit is on the bench ready to go. I don't have the new electrical drawings for the 09'. I know the book was supposed to be the first thing to buy.
Mike
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28258.0;attach=86958;image brake off
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28258.0;attach=86956;image brake on
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:18:59 PM by cola »

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »

In a word............SWEET.

Job well done!

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »

Hey guys, does anyone have a picture of the finished product, or can take one and posted.  Just want to see where to hide the wig-wag module.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »

Who uses turn signals  :nixweiss:

Kidding, they work like normal.  The breaks will do their flashing thing on the opposite side of the turn signal.  The turn signal flashes like normal when active.  Hazards work the same as well. 

FYI, the rear LED lights have three control feeds.  Break Light, Running Light and Turn Signal.  You splice into the break light portion to get this effect.  The Turn signal overrides the break light when active. It works as if it was designed that way.  No functionality issues whatsoever. 

Jim,
Nice mod!  I am looking at doing something very similar on my 09 SEUC with LEDS all around.  I've been on here a week and see you've been very generous with your time and detailed how-to's on many things.

I'm either going to do the back-off wig-wag or just the back-off XP just on the tour-pak lights, leaving the fender brake light on separately.  Would it be possible for you to post a video showing a turn signal running, then showing what it looks like when you hit the brakes while the turn signal continues?  I haven't seen this secenario in person nor on any of the back-off pics online.

Good looking scoot!
Mike
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »

Jim,
Nice mod!  I am looking at doing something very similar on my 09 SEUC with LEDS all around.  I've been on here a week and see you've been very generous with your time and detailed how-to's on many things.

I'm either going to do the back-off wig-wag or just the back-off XP just on the tour-pak lights, leaving the fender brake light on separately.  Would it be possible for you to post a video showing a turn signal running, then showing what it looks like when you hit the brakes while the turn signal continues?  I haven't seen this secenario in person nor on any of the back-off pics online.

Good looking scoot!
Mike

My bike is put away for the winter.  It will be awhile before I can post a video.  Basically what happens when the turn signal is on is it flashes at the normal rate and the other break light flashes fast (as if it is alternating, but only on the break site) then flashes fast again (wig wag alternates flashing then double flashes) and goes steady.  The turn signal flashes at the same rate and is not affected by this mod.   

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »

No problem on the video, thanks for the response!  Is it spring yet?
Mike
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »

No problem on the video, thanks for the response!  Is it spring yet?
Mike

It is cold in Chicago.  And I'm very tired of it!

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:17 PM »

It is cold in Chicago.  And I'm very tired of it!

Every time it warms up a little here, we get rain. UGH!

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »

Supposed to be in the 50s and maybe 60 next 2 days here...no friggin' bike yet to ride  >:( :-[ 
The bright side is I probably wouldn't ride yet anyway, too much salt and gravel on the roads yet.  Spend a couple hours cleaning after a couple hour ride.  Maybe even a few rock dings from flying gravel...Kinda defeats the fun of it.
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »

Every time it warms up a little here, we get rain. UGH!

You noticed that too..

When its in the 30's its nice and sunny.  When its in the 50's it's raining :(

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »

You noticed that too..

When its in the 30's its nice and sunny.  When its in the 50's it's raining :(

Yeah. Sucz, doesn't it?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »

Yeah. Sucz, doesn't it?

Yea.

I need to check the weather for this coming week end.  I am hoping to ride Saturday and Sunday

TEQUILA -aka- RED RUM

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »

FYI, Radio Shack sells pretty much everything you need.  Just turn and walk away form the electrical tape ;)  Heat Shrink tubing is the only thing you should use on a bike.  Tape leaks and will eventually deteriorate from the heat.  Crimp connectors corrode and will eventually fail.  The vibration of the bike will also work harden wiring at the crimp and it will snap.  Heat shrink tubing & soldered connections will last forever. 
   Thanks Jim.........safety first..........

Ron Hawkins

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Stardust Silver
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »

Jim,all : Night Rider bar is made by Plasma Glow . retails for $ 79.95  should be able to find at much reduced price . Don't remember what my cost is on them .If anyone is interested i could look it up monday.

Ron
Ron In ICT
Silver 09 SERG
I.B.A. 45113

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »

Let me tell you all from personal experience! THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!  :2vrolijk_21: I got rear ended on my O/B 09SERG on the 5th day I owned it!   :bigcry: A lady in a mini van hit me stopped at a red light in broad daylight! I thought I was going to stroke out right there! She called me rude cause I called her a few choice names. I then told her to shut the f**k up and call the police and went to sit on the guard rail and try to get my blood pressure down from 8000/5000!  :sauer024: The end result was $2200 worth of damage. A new rear fender and everything on it and a right saddle bag. 3 months to get parts and since my tail light stopped working and found the whole wiring harness hanging down on the wheel torn to shreds! The dealer that did the repair cobbled it back together and ordered a new harness at my insistence. now I will have to take it back in soon for more work. Point being this thing looks like an attention getter and brothers we need all we can get!  :soapbox:

I am going to order one today and put it on ASAP!   :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »

Let me tell you all from personal experience! THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!  :2vrolijk_21: I got rear ended on my O/B 09SERG on the 5th day I owned it!   :bigcry: A lady in a mini van hit me stopped at a red light in broad daylight! I thought I was going to stroke out right there! She called me rude cause I called her a few choice names. I then told her to shut the f**k up and call the police and went to sit on the guard rail and try to get my blood pressure down from 8000/5000!  :sauer024: The end result was $2200 worth of damage. A new rear fender and everything on it and a right saddle bag. 3 months to get parts and since my tail light stopped working and found the whole wiring harness hanging down on the wheel torn to shreds! The dealer that did the repair cobbled it back together and ordered a new harness at my insistence. now I will have to take it back in soon for more work. Point being this thing looks like an attention getter and brothers we need all we can get!  :soapbox:

I am going to order one today and put it on ASAP!   :2vrolijk_21:

Wow, sorry to hear about your accident.  The LED lights look cool, but are hard to see.  I can say from first hand experience that the alternating flash catches peoples attention.  I know they have saved my bacon a number of times. 

Ron Hawkins

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Stardust Silver
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »

Faceracer,Id'a reacted the same way.!!  I rean a "Back-off " on my 06 FLHX and held the brake lever until traffic behind me had stoped.Just became secound habit after a short while.If and when i get a tour pack it will definetly have lights on it as well.

Ron
Ron In ICT
Silver 09 SERG
I.B.A. 45113

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »

Faceracer,Id'a reacted the same way.!!  I rean a "Back-off " on my 06 FLHX and held the brake lever until traffic behind me had stoped.Just became secound habit after a short while.If and when i get a tour pack it will definetly have lights on it as well.

Ron

Thanks guys!  :2vrolijk_21: I am getting a tour pak soon and it will have the spoiler with light on it. I am trying to decide if I want the saddle bag spoilers with lights. I really don't want to drill any holes in my bags so not sure what to do. The wires have to get there somehow also  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 21 queries.