Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fatboy Big Radius for SE Engine?  (Read 1354 times)

EnglandsGlory

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Fatboy Big Radius for SE Engine?
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:46:44 AM »

Hello all. Might sound very amateur,but im looking for big radius vance n hines for my SE Fatboy. Do you have to have specific pipes for the 1690 SE engine,or will standard ones off any 2006 fatboy fit? Also,once fitted,can u just plug and play,or does it need a stage one or something to suit? Many thanks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:03:21 AM by EnglandsGlory »

k9f

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Re: Fatboy Big Radius for SE Engine?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »

Simplest thing would be to pick up the phone and speak to these guys on the south coast UK side of the pond. Despite the title 'Metric Cruisers' they supply Vance and Hines products for Harley-Davidsons too. They buy in bulk and pass the discount to the customers. You will not find new Vance and Hines products cheaper elsewhere in the UK, if you do they operate a 'price promise.' You will most certainly need a remap as it is the prudent thing to do, speak to them about your requirements would be my advice.

https://www.metriccruisers.co.uk/

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:37:59 AM by k9f »

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »

Exhaust systems from an "ordinary" 2006 Fatboy 96 cube will fit no worries. DOES NOT have to be SE/103 specific.

Be careful tho' as 2007 and younger pipes will "fit" but will not be correct as they all come with O2 sensors.

Between 2006 and 2007+ the bracketing may also be different.

I had one of the first 2007 Softails in Perth Western Australia in late 2006 and NO existing 2006 or older slip on or systems would fit.

First type I found that would bolt up were "Rush racing" slip-ons , worked fine and were 2007 (and up compatible)

In short , you will be best advised to procure "for definite" 2006 specific hardware 
No illegitimi carborundum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »

As long as the mounting points remain the same, and they usually do, the fact that a pipe has bungs for O2 sensors doesn't mean you can't use it on an earlier bike that didn't come with O2 sensors.  You just install threaded plugs in the bungs.  It's actually a good thing if you plan to have the bike tuned, because the tuner can use the sensor bungs for his sensors instead of running tubes up through the mufflers to the exhaust pipes. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

EnglandsGlory

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 02:33:52 PM »

Thankyou so much for the reply gentlemen. Very helpful. Yes think ill stick to specific type,as with my poor mechanical knowlede,wouldnt know where to start with different bracket mounts n bungs etc. Thankyou

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 10:09:49 AM »

I would like to hazard a guess that next to nobody in the southern UK will "tune" Harleys using exhaust sniffers up the pipes. ( I could be wrong of course !)

Play safe and get a 2006 specific exhaust. On my 2007 Softail Custom , ( first one into Australia !) it was the BRACKETS that were well different to the 2006.

From the side , a 2006 and a 2007 LOOKED the same , but indeed they were not ! At the time I contacted the HD dealer in Glasgow Scotland ( from where I emigrated to Australia in '95)

I had known the shop for years , back in the Kawasaki days of old.

They guided me , (and by default the Perth WA HD dealer) as to what would/would not carry over from 2006 to 2007.

All the major exhaust manufacturers are well aware for years now and there should be no problems with fitment whichever brand you choose.

You do know that , for example , V&H Big radius are "idiot loud" and will no way pass your annual MOT ?

I have V&H Big Shot Staggered on my 2008 CVO Springer, IDIOT LOUD ! , they were on it when I bought it in central Texas in 2011 before bringing it to Australia.

I have become used to them now , and won't spend upwards of a grand $AUD to replace them . Maybe that's just me haha...

EnglandsGlory

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »

Very interesting read and in detail. Thankyou very much for that. I will prob stick to my standard ones as they are loud enough really. Baffles may have been taken out? Not sure. But as u say,at close on a grand,not worth it. Thanks again

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:40:15 AM »

Best bang for the bucks spent BAR NONE is a set of quality straight through slip on mufflers on the stock HD header system.

I have used this setup on my own bike and on many others , slip on mufflers from Khromewerks in the US.

Now these look EXACTLY like stock OEM but are true performance pipes. I preferred the "tapered" versions over the various "slash" cut options.

For a 2006 perhaps they are no longer made "new" but websearch the Khromewerks part # and get them from eBay USA

EnglandsGlory

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 05:27:17 AM »

Brilliant idea. Never really thought of just slip ons..thats prob the best option for me to go for. Thats if postage and vat doesnt kill me shipping to uk! Lol. Many thanks for that.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 08:13:48 AM »

EnglandsGlory

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:16:22 AM »

O brilliant thankyou for that! I will look when im home. Appreciate ur help 😁

k9f

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »

Most of the aftermarket 'cheap' mufflers are in Canada or the USA. The seller of the link above has not specified shipping to the UK and does not operate a returns policy. By the time you add shipping, import duties and tax they may turn out to be very expensive chips after all? Be wary buying from afar, I bought a helmet at $130 that ended up £250 but worth it as nobody else has one and I knew exactly what I was getting! If for any reason the mufflers are not suitable, you are stuffed and left with nothing but a couple of expensive ornaments.

Also if ever purchasing direct from US based Harley dealerships they themselves are not permitted to sell items and ship them outside the USA. You can circumvent this by registering an account with a USA shipping agency, paying for the goods and giving the shipping agency as your address. The shipping agency in turn e-mail you to say the package has arrived and asks where you want it shipped.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:20:12 PM by k9f »

EnglandsGlory

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »

I see what u mean. I did worry about shipping and import duty to be honest..becomes expensive. Might go back to the drawing board n see wat crops up in uk. Thanks for heads up.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 03:43:00 AM »

USA mainland HD dealers are NOT ALLOWED to sell new parts outside of the continental US. A breach of franchise rules if they do for maybe 5 years now !

Aftermarket sellers ( like these Khromewerks mufflers) can sell as they please.

I buy Harley parts in the US all the time and have them posted by best priced airmail to Perth Western Australia. ( may be called priority or ''First class" airmail.)

ALWAYS do your due diligence and ask politely for a post quote before bidding.

7 years ago the Aussie dollar was at $1.05 USD and HD parts were flowing into Australia by the plane and boatload. at 70C US today , not so common now !

Back then I was buying exhaust systems and slip on mufflers and being at least 40% ahead of having bought "locally" in Australia ( not so today !)

Unique used parts aside , for example 2 years ago a new bike take-off 2007/8 CVO Springer OEM seat. $100 USD plus $50 USD post BARGAIN to the max !

That is in my parts store for the "future" as often the sun here in Australia is unkind to motorcycle seats in the long term.

No harm in doing a regular eBay.UK search to see what comes up there. You never know. I buy leather jackets out of the UK regularly and ship to Australia.

EnglandsGlory

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 03:45:47 AM »

Yes i see where your comming from. May just see whats available in the uk as n when as sounds like it can get a bit messy. Thanks again for your help
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 24 queries.