Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I know this has been covered before,.....  (Read 955 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
I know this has been covered before,.....
« on: April 18, 2007, 06:29:32 PM »

Dropping idle.

I tried searching the forums, but could not find the posting. Someone here with a Thunder-Max Auto Tune was experiencing an idle drop when the bike was stopped. The idle would drop a few hundred rpms below where the idle was set in the BASIC SETTINGS mode, then come back up and idle where ever it was set.

Was it ever determined what causes this, and how to resolve it? My bike is starting to do it.

Thanks

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Rhino

Re: I know this has been covered before,.....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:36:03 PM »

Never saw that post, looked for it too.  However, the only reason the idle would drop, is if the temperature curve exceeded 330 or so, then the programming would lower it to cool it off. The other reason is you did not follow the instructions on the idle change graph.  End
Rhino

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: I know this has been covered before,.....
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:39:48 PM »

Never saw that post, looked for it too.  However, the only reason the idle would drop, is if the temperature curve exceeded 330 or so, then the programming would lower it to cool it off. The other reason is you did not follow the instructions on the idle change graph.  End
Rhino

Rhino,

That was it. Someone on another forum directed me to the answer on page 64 of the T-Max manual. I needed to tweak my idle/engine temp graph, that's all. The idle was dropping way before engine temp hit 330 degrees. I like my bike to idle at 1088rpms. It was set to start dropping the idle when the engine got to 170 degrees. It was going into heat management before the bike was even fuly warmed up. I dunno, but maybe that might have something to do with my poor mpgs too. Anyway, I started a gradual drop at about 317 degrees, finally leveling off at 928rpms at 352 degrees.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.