Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Installed SPOs Using V&H TD Head Pipes  (Read 1590 times)

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
Anyone Installed SPOs Using V&H TD Head Pipes
« on: April 24, 2007, 02:25:42 PM »

The bike is 05 SEEG.  I have the SPO/V&H TD exhaust system partly installed and noted that the SPO mufflers are about an inch farther out to the rear than the stock or Reinhart system I removed.  I am not so concerned that the ends of the mufflers being further out, but am concerned that the rear muffler bracket is no longer in the center of the rear mount bracket but is positioned to the very rear of the mount.    Is this normal? 

Thanks in advance...
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Anyone Installed SPOs Using V&H TD Head Pipes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:58:42 PM »

The bike is 05 SEEG.  I have the SPO/V&H TD exhaust system partly installed and noted that the SPO mufflers are about an inch farther out to the rear than the stock or Reinhart system I removed.  I am not so concerned that the ends of the mufflers being further out, but am concerned that the rear muffler bracket is no longer in the center of the rear mount bracket but is positioned to the very rear of the mount.    Is this normal? 

Thanks in advance...

I have the same set up on an '07 SERK. You have to work the insides of the SPO's to get them all the way on, until everything lines up. It's a little bit of a PIA, but everything fit just fine. Good luck with them. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »

Howdy Hoist...  Thanks for responding...   So you mean that the brackets and all should fall the same as for the stock pipes?  When you say "work the insides" do you mean to file or otherwise remove material to get the head pipe far enough inside the SPO for all to line up? 

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »

Howdy Hoist...  Thanks for responding...   So you mean that the brackets and all should fall the same as for the stock pipes?  When you say "work the insides" do you mean to file or otherwise remove material to get the head pipe far enough inside the SPO for all to line up? 

That's correct. We had to do some clearancing of the inside of the mufflers and the outside of the V&H's to get everything to fit together properly. Then all the brackets lined up. I attached a Pic for you. Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:13:31 PM »

another one

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »

Thanks again Hoist... I used a file on inside diameter of the inlet pipe to remove a little welding defect and everything went together as planned.   These babies sound really cool and I can't wait to get them out on the street...  So far, the best sounding mufflers I've tried on this bike...  Another happy customer...

PMaitland

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »

My apologies hwyfever, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I was wondering about doing the same with V&H T/D Headers on the Reinhart mufflers I'm currently running.  While I'm happy with the Reinhart mufflers, I've never been happy with the quality, fit & finish of the Reinhart header pipes & all the V&H T/D header pipes I've seen plus all the positive feedback I've read on this site about them had me wondering if the Reinhart mufflers would fit with V&H T/D header pipes.  Haven't even had a chance to seriously look into it and just happened to see this thread, so just figured I'd ask... 

Paul
06 FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »

While I'm happy with the Reinhart mufflers, I've never been happy with the quality, fit & finish of the Reinhart header pipes & all the V&H T/D header pipes I've seen plus all the positive feedback I've read on this site about them had me wondering if the Reinhart mufflers would fit with V&H T/D header pipes.  Haven't even had a chance to seriously look into it and just happened to see this thread, so just figured I'd ask... 

Paul

If your Rinehart's came in  a kit (headpipes and muffler together), the Rinehart head pipes are a different diameter and slip on mufflers from other makers won't fit.  If you have the Rinehart slipons, they will fit on stock or true dual head pipes of other makers.
After rereading your post, your rineharts will not fit on V&H head pipes as the mufflers are a different ID (Rinehart gets you that way).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:50:53 PM by Boatman »

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 04:09:50 PM »

No problem with highjack Paul... 

To add to what Boatman said, the Rinehart TD are a stepped header design which steps up to 2" at the end of pipe where the muffler fits. Typical HD, and other non-stepped head pipes such as the V&H TD, are 1.75".  Therefore the Reinharts won't fit...  I had the problem the other way where I had to but V&H for the SPOs to fit  :(

Regarding the fit and finish of the Rinehart's, mine came to me in perfect shape and I had no problem with the looks - actually, I think the system looks great.  My problem was the loud exhaust note that my aging ears just could not take anymore.  That was the primary reason I switched to SPOs. 

Incidentally, I have access to a decibel meter, so I thought of taking some sound measurements and post the results on this site.  Although not very scientific, my initial results were taken from the rider's position sitting on the saddle in an open area outdoors with the bike at idle.  Results are:

> Rinehart's at idle = 90 decibels. 
> SPOs at idle = 80 decibels

My next test will be while riding at various speeds and load conditions...  Stay tuned.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »

No problem with highjack Paul... 

To add to what Boatman said, the Rinehart TD are a stepped header design which steps up to 2" at the end of pipe where the muffler fits. Typical HD, and other non-stepped head pipes such as the V&H TD, are 1.75".  Therefore the Reinharts won't fit...  I had the problem the other way where I had to but V&H for the SPOs to fit  :(

Regarding the fit and finish of the Rinehart's, mine came to me in perfect shape and I had no problem with the looks - actually, I think the system looks great.  My problem was the loud exhaust note that my aging ears just could not take anymore.  That was the primary reason I switched to SPOs. 

Incidentally, I have access to a decibel meter, so I thought of taking some sound measurements and post the results on this site.  Although not very scientific, my initial results were taken from the rider's position sitting on the saddle in an open area outdoors with the bike at idle.  Results are:

> Rinehart's at idle = 90 decibels. 
> SPOs at idle = 80 decibels

My next test will be while riding at various speeds and load conditions...  Stay tuned.

I'm glad the install worked out for you hwy. You just had to get those messy welds ground down, until the muffler can be slid far enough over the head pipe to align the mounts. The SPO's sound fantastic, with volume you can live with. It's the best sounding Dresser Exhaust I've owned! Hoist! 8)

PMaitland

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 05:25:53 PM »

Thanks guys, I kinda figured as much just hadn't had a chance to look into it.  What I was actually thinking of doing was changing to the complete V&H system, TD headers & slip-on ovals but just for a moment thought this may be a cheaper way.  Stupid me, what was I thinking.
06 FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.