Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '06 vs. '07  (Read 2024 times)

Pumba11

'06 vs. '07
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »

Looking for some opinions.

I am running some '06 CVO mufflers on my '88 Twin Cam FLHR with stock header pipes.  I have removed the cats from these pipes and really like the sound, but its still just too quiet. (Cagers keep moving over on me on the freeway!!)   I love the looks of these pipes on the bike and don't really want to change them.  However I have the opportunity to pick up some '07 CVO mufflers off a SERK from a member of this board.  I have heard there were some changes for the '07 mufflers.

My questions are: 

Do you think the stock '07's would be any louder/deeper than the '06's that I am currently running?

What changes did occure between '06 and '07?

I am possibly thinking of having Fullsac recore one set of the mufflers and keep another pair stock, handy for Two-Up touring and the sound police.  Which year mufflers would you keep for the stock set?

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
Re: '06 vs. '07
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 03:52:28 PM »

SE bikes have stock exhaust, not SE exhaust.
and the difference between '06 and '07 exhaust is the addition of cats on the '07.
so, the SERK exhaust will be much quieter than what you have now. :-\
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Pumba11

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:23:41 PM »

I understand that my current exhaust is not SE, they are mufflers off a '06 CVO bike, heat shields and all.  It too had the cats in both mufflers, that I was able remove.  I just thought I had read somewhere here that the stock '07 CVO exhaust was givin a little deeper and louder sound than previous mufflers on CVO bikes.  New larger motor in '07 had different EPA ratings so they could play with the exhaust a little.  I may be wrong.   ???

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »

Pumba is correct and Deuce is wrong.  The '06 CVO's had cats.  Sorry I can't help on which would give you the most sound.  I know that the '06 mufflers with cats removed really don't sound any louder than they did with the cats in.  Opposite what you would think after looking at the cats.  One wonders how any air gets through them.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »

That makes sense, since my '06 Deuce didn't have cats in the mufflers, and my '07 Springer did.
I made a wrong assumption, but I can tell you that the stock exhaust on my '07 SE Springer was just as quiet as any other stock softail exhaust. :bananarock:

Pumba11

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »

Thanks Duece,

Must be a Softail vs. Touring thing.

Dan

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »

I am running some '06 CVO mufflers on my '88 Twin Cam FLHR with stock header pipes.  I have removed the cats from these pipes and really like the sound, but its still just too quiet. (Cagers keep moving over on me on the freeway!!)   I love the looks of these pipes on the bike and don't really want to change them.  However I have the opportunity to pick up some '07 CVO mufflers off a SERK from a member of this board.  I have heard there were some changes for the '07 mufflers.

My questions are: 

Do you think the stock '07's would be any louder/deeper than the '06's that I am currently running?

I am possibly thinking of having Fullsac recore one set of the mufflers and keep another pair stock, handy for Two-Up touring and the sound police.  Which year mufflers would you keep for the stock set?

Pumba

At the risk of answering a question you didn't ask  ;), why don't you get some Rush mufflers from Eastern Performance for $270? You can get them in baffle sizes of 1.5" - 2.5" in 0.25" increments 1.5 being the quietest. They sound great, increase the performance, and you can dial in exactly the sound you like by choosing the baffle size. My H-D stocks the 2.0" baffles, saying they are a god compromise between volume which is Goldilocks style - not too loud, not soft - just right!

Just a thought...
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

Pumba11

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 03:18:52 PM »

Quint,

I appreciate your recommendation, no offense taken.

The reason is, that I got the '06 CVO pipes for free, brand new from the dealer.   I like how they look on my bike a lot, with the chrome tips and heat shields.  Something I wouldn't get with the Rush or Pigs or other "moderate" price performance muffler. 

I have been pleased with the moderate performance gain from these pipes over my original FLHR OEM mufflers.  I have already removed the cats from these mufflers and they are louder then my OEM's, however not loud enough.  Way too many cagers lately pulling over on me when I am next to them.  Heck, even my wife almost pulled over on me one time driving in town.  "Honey, I didn't hear you at all!  It was such a surprise!"

I was just wondering about the '07's since I thought I had read they were a little louder than previous models.  I am also considering the re-core options with B&E Performance and Fullsac which would be less expensive than the Rush mufflers and allow me to keep the look that I like.  Right now I'm on the "two kids in college" budget and trying to avoid the "what you bought another set of pipes!!!!" from the little woman.   ::)

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »

Quint,

I appreciate your recommendation, no offense taken.

The reason is, that I got the '06 CVO pipes for free, brand new from the dealer.   I like how they look on my bike a lot, with the chrome tips and heat shields.  Something I wouldn't get with the Rush or Pigs or other "moderate" price performance muffler. 

I have been pleased with the moderate performance gain from these pipes over my original FLHR OEM mufflers.  I have already removed the cats from these mufflers and they are louder then my OEM's, however not loud enough.  Way too many cagers lately pulling over on me when I am next to them.  Heck, even my wife almost pulled over on me one time driving in town.  "Honey, I didn't hear you at all!  It was such a surprise!"

I was just wondering about the '07's since I thought I had read they were a little louder than previous models.  I am also considering the re-core options with B&E Performance and Fullsac which would be less expensive than the Rush mufflers and allow me to keep the look that I like.  Right now I'm on the "two kids in college" budget and trying to avoid the "what you bought another set of pipes!!!!" from the little woman.   ::)

I have the Rush mufflers (2.25" baffle) on my Springer, they look just the stock mufflers but without the heat shields.

investorbp

• CVO1: '12 FLHX Street Glide (non-CVO)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 01:59:38 PM »

Pumba:

I have to agree w/Quint & Deuce as I recently changed the stock mufflers on my '07 SERK to the Rush slip-ons w/2" baffles.  The stock mufflers made my bike sound like a Honda as they were so quiet.  I would bet that your stock mufflers are louder than mine.  I'm going to keep them if I ever sell the bike since keeping the option of being original has some value.

The Rush mufflers sound great & should keep all but the eldest of cagers aware that you're around.  Rush mufflers are made by EPI in Merrillville, IN & you can buy them from many distributors probably including your local H-D dealer.  They were recommended to me by Rossmeyer's H-D in Daytona & Aces & Eights H-D in Mason, OH as an alternative to true duals.  Check out the website below.

http://www.epiflex.com/

investorbp

Pumba11

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 09:25:37 AM »

investorbp

Thanks for the recommendation and link.  I will look at it closer.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »

There are many posts in this forum from CVO owners who have the Fullsac conversions on stock mufflers.  Some thought it too loud others just right (Like Quint said).  Only down side is there is no going back.  My thinking is that you have free pipes and the conversion is around $250.  If you aren't happy you can sell them on E-bay for $400 and buy the Rush anyhow and likely make money on the transaction.  Owning these bikes is an exercise in futility.  You're never done!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »

My questions are: 

I think the answer is the changes to the 07 mufflers wa only for the non-CVO touring bikes and the 07 mufflers were side specific, so they wouldn't be a good candidate if you wanted to go with true duals.

PS, I have been trying to sell a set of 06 CVO Fullsac conversion mufflers. I don't have the heat shields, but it sounds like you already have them. PM me if interested.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Pumba11

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »

Email sent.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.