Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: RhineHart Pipes  (Read 17428 times)

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
Re: RhineHart Pipes
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2005, 08:39:31 AM »

I gave the Rineharts a good look last night and sure enough, I have a stress crack started at the mounting bracket. What a joke. I only have 3800 miles on the bike due to my surgery in the spring. I thought they made a better product than that.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2005, 11:07:49 AM »

Question. I was planning on riding up to the HOG rally in Chattanooga tomorrow. Is the bike ok to ride with the small stress crack forming? Would it be smart to remove the mounting bolt so it doesn't get any worse at that location? Any ideas would be helpful.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »

Question. I was planning on riding up to the HOG rally in Chattanooga tomorrow. Is the bike ok to ride with the small stress crack forming? Would it be smart to remove the mounting bolt so it doesn't get any worse at that location? Any ideas would be helpful.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2005, 11:33:08 AM »

Laker,

I would personally remove the bolt as I woudlnt want any stress on that pipe since it is being leveraged by that bracket and that is where your issue is.   I won't say it would hurt anything if you take it, but I rode mine quite a ways before I got home.

If I were you and had the ability to quickly remove the pipe and bring it to the local welding shop and throw a weld on it and then only put the bolt back on hand tight or loose with a lock nut or 2 nuts so it didnt move.

2 cents worth
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2005, 12:32:44 PM »

Laker if the nut is left loose it'll likely just vibrate off.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 12:33:11 PM by twolanerider »

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2005, 01:21:57 PM »

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will just loosen the nut a little more (wasn't overly tight to begin with) and hope it doesn't get too much worse. If it does, then I will hit up the HD shop in Chattanooga to replace it as that is where I got this bike from.

Again, I appreciate the help!!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

cei600

• Junior CVO Member
  • Nothing Else Comes Close
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2005, 01:26:55 PM »

Glad I didn't buy RhineHarts. Sure seems like they have Quality issues.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2005, 02:02:23 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, cei600,
 I'm glad you didn't buy RINEHARTS, too.  That equates to another Harley out there I can thump!  I still don't think it's a quality issue.  I think it's an installation issue.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2005, 02:04:04 PM »

I think you will find that any of the pipes that attach to the bracket from the starter can be subject to cracking, including the stock pipes from H-D.  That entire mounting system needs to be redesigned - too much flex, unsupported weight between bracket and rear pipe hanger, etc.  Add in the extra bends and welds in that area, and it is a recipe for failure.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2005, 02:51:11 PM »

I think you will find that any of the pipes that attach to the bracket from the starter can be subject to cracking, [bgcolor=Yellow]including the stock pipes from H-D[/bgcolor].
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cei600

• Junior CVO Member
  • Nothing Else Comes Close
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2005, 07:28:28 PM »

Yeah er uh, whatever! [smiley=pumpkin.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2005, 08:14:20 PM »

Hubbard,

My question of BuB and of Gerald is was and remains if its not a design flaw why did they recently change the pipe 2 degrees in this last go around and are now in the process of changing the way they mount the pipe.  

If its a problem of everyone installing it wrong wouldnt it be better to put out a tech document or add a flyer to the instructions of new pipes going out?

I really dont want to beat this dead horse any longer I am just looking for a rational answer if its not a design flaw.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2005, 10:55:15 AM »

OK, lets get to the reason you have a bracket off the starter.  In '96 Harley decided they needed this to stop the factory pipes from cracking at the "Y" pipe.  The weld would literally fracture because of lack of support.  They then offered it as a retrofit for older models.  This solved the problem of the stock pipes fracturing, but does not address the way Rhinehart has designe their mounting.  I saw some issues in the way the local shop mounted mine, and loosened the entire assembly.  I removed the mufflers first, and immediately noticed how much the heat sheilds were binding just to fit to the pipes.  I did not pull the head pipes, but rather took all the stress off the mounts including the mounting point of the pipes to the heads.  Once I had everything so I could move it, I tried to let everything align naturally, and kept alternating between the head pipe mounts and the starter support tightening a little more at each point.  So far at 6k I don't see problems.

As far as running with the bolt loose at the starter, I would believe you will be creating more stress on the pipe, and possible damage to the finish on your inner primary if the pipe were to bounce against it.  Now having said that, the issue I see with the Rhinehart design, is that it doesn't allow for the movement of the motor on the rubber mounts.  One of the things I have noticed is that the mount under the front of the motor is acting like a piston to relieve motor vibration, thus as the motor is flexing vertically, the mount on the pipe at the started is stressed.  I don't know if I will still have a fracturing issue, but I don't believe the design allows for another option if you allow the pipe to "float" at the starter mount.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2005, 12:21:36 PM »

OK, lets get to the reason you have a bracket off the starter.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »

Nice Pics Unbalanced.

I have a twin to that.  My pipe weld broke last week in Monument Valley.  I had to limp into Durango to get help.  HD dealer could not fix.  I found a structural welder and he patched it back to get me home.

I am going down to my local dealer and see if he will replace the pipe without the bracket.  I plan to fashion a a bracket that is not welded to the pipe.  I will clamp it to the pipe on both sides of the bracket and bolt it back to the starter.

I think the issue is different heating and cooling coefficients at the weld, compounded by the vibration of the 103.  The pipe wall is too thin to be a structural support with that much vibration.  The cracks I see in your pipe indicate the welder may have been to hot originally.  Probably a stick or mig weld.  They should use a tig rig and purge the pipe with argon during the process.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.