Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Why EFI Vehicles Need To Be Tuned  (Read 5557 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Why EFI Vehicles Need To Be Tuned
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 08:27:04 PM »

Why would you think that to be able to do a better job makes it harder? Just because features are there, that does not mean it needs to be used. The extra feature set when not used make it as easy to use as a PC to use.

I don't think that's what I said Steve.

"For those who don't want or need to fine tune the warm-up tables, the idle speed, etc. the PC still offers less complexity which results in less expense both for the hardware and for dyno time.  And the PC is still able to be removed without a trace, unlike the SERT, which eases the minds of those worried about the cheap bast#@ds at H-D trying to void their warranty."

Even without getting involved in all the other parameters, a SERT tune will require more dyno time than a similar tune with a PC.  This has been attested to by many tuners and members on this site, and is reflected in the charges of those I know who tune with both devices.  So if someone is interested in conserving resources ($$) more than they are interested in owning some extra capabilities that they may never need or use, in my opinion the PC may be all they will ever need.  I have no personal axe to grind or financial interest in any of those choices, btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »

I have to agree with Gremlush, been riding for years with carbs and thought my bikes ran great using 42 Mikunis leaned out a bit, 3 jets and an air screw, now I have FI tuned with SERT and it seems necessary to tune every 250 RPM and throttle position or my bike CAN'T be running or tuned properly  :nixweiss:

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »

You do not have to tune it every 250 RPM but if you want to you can. The PC just adds on top of what is already in the factory tune. A SERT only shows you the factory tune and allows you to change what you want. IF you want to do it like a PC you can, if you want to tune it and use all the functions you can. Anyone that thinks its harder to do than a PC has not used it most likely. Look the PC works but this BS of the SERT being harder to use than a PC is just that...... BS.

To make a PC like tune with SERT just go to the AFR table and move it high and lower this will richen or lean the mixture same as a PC does. To change the Spark go to the spark tables for the front or rear cylinder and add or subtract spark just the same as you would a PC. Done simple and just as easy to use as a PC with no extra parts or wiring on the bike.

Now if you want to step up and do it better you also have all the controls to do that as well, but Like I said before you do not have to use them all.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:03 PM »

I don't understand how we lived without fuel inj. and cell phones. I must be old ,because I remember talking into a 'can' that had a string attached to it,for the 'other' can. Getting fuel into your hog was easy , Mikuni 'round' slide {44mm} . Daniel Boone  {Fess Parker}  :rolleyes4:

Feeler gauge, static timing, maybe a timing light but a good ear.  Brings back memories of the good old days.  Almost as good as a good donut hole.

PS.  We need to see if we can get a donut icon for Dewey

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 07:56:24 AM »

Steve, I agree, I don't really think you need to tune every 250 rpm, that was tongue in cheek , and my opinion of using the SERT, is once you get into actually using it, it's really straight forward and changes can be made easier than with a timing light or screwdriver, data logging is a great feature for feedback also. I'm jealous I can't V-Tune like the new bikes using your new system !!!
Mike  :(

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »

Feeler gauge, static timing, maybe a timing light but a good ear.  Brings back memories of the good old days.  Almost as good as a good donut hole.

PS.  We need to see if we can get a donut icon for Dewey

Ain't nuthin wrong with that dm! Been doing my carb bikes like that for years! Still do! And I think Vern's ears have a built-in timing light in them! But we ain't doing that with a Race Tuner on an EFI bike though! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:29:49 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »

Ain't nuthin wrong with that dm! Been doing my carb bikes like that for years! Still do! And I think Vern's ears have a built-in timing light in them! But we ain't doing that with a Race Tuner on an EFI bike though! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist,  that is one I  have not heard before.   Good one.   :laugh4: :laugh4:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:38:22 PM by dmnrdn »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.