Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Roland Sands Design Air Cleaner: Turbine vs Venturi  (Read 10374 times)

Poopy

Roland Sands Design Air Cleaner: Turbine vs Venturi
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »

I am thinking of buying a Roland Sands air cleaner to replace the stock air cleaner on my 11' Street Glid. My knee hits the current air cleaner and gives me a bruise after riding all day. It looks like the RSD would not be in the way. My question is which model would be best between the Venturi and Turbine?

http://www.rolandsands.com/products/Venturi-Air-Cleaner-Speed-7-Chrome

http://www.rolandsands.com/products/Turbine-Air-Cleaner-Chrome
2011 Screamin' Eagle Street Glide - Black Diamond/Crimson
Fullsac X-Pipe w/ 2.25" Cores
Woods 555 Night Prowler Cams
30-Tooth Sprocket & Belt Swap
Flash-2-Pass Garage Door Opener
T-Bags for Windshield
HD Black LED Headlight

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Roland Sands Design Air Cleaner: Turbine vs Venturi
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »

My 2 cents  ;). I like the looks of the Venturi better.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »

I like the venturi better but HD makes a billet air cleaner to match your wheels:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448780037&default=none
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

2Manytoys

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »

A word of caution. The Turbine and the Venturi require the use of the OEM Throttle Body Support Bracket found on 96CI engines. Our 110's don't have that. You will be required to make up your own spacer to make up the difference. I had that problem. When I called them to inquire what to do they were of no help. Ended up using chrome washers. I wish I still had the email correspondence from them to post here. Now that was a year or two ago and they may have addressed the issue by now. I won't be purchasing any RSD products.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »

I noticed in the instructions that it mentioned that for 07-08 models you would need to retain the support bracket. Had to find mine because I was replacing a stage 1 A/C setup. Took awhile, but I did find it. Nowhere did it mention that it was required for later models. I just thought that something had been moved 09 and up and it wasn't necessary. At some point I'll be putting my "roll your own" air cleaner kit for sale on board.

RK1679

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »

My RSD Venturi Slam fit my 2010 with no problem. No leg clearance problems and I love the look

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »

I noticed in the instructions that it mentioned that for 07-08 models you would need to retain the support bracket. Had to find mine because I was replacing a stage 1 A/C setup. Took awhile, but I did find it. Nowhere did it mention that it was required for later models. I just thought that something had been moved 09 and up and it wasn't necessary. At some point I'll be putting my "roll your own" air cleaner kit for sale on board.

The clarity line really looks good! :2vrolijk_21: Have you also installed the other cover (derby and cam)?

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »

The clarity line really looks good! :2vrolijk_21: Have you also installed the other cover (derby and cam)?

No, if the stock stuff starts looking tired I might consider. I honestly haven't even started the bike since I installed it a few weeks back. Once I get back on her and see how well the "clarity" of it holds up I might think of going with their other parts. For now, everything else is still shiny and saving me money for the time being lol.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »

I have the RSD Clarity Cam and Derby Covers on my 2012 Convertible, will post some photos later today! they look great! Very, Very Happy with them... Going to go with the Clarity Air Cleaner also, will order it over the next couple of weeks!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:37:32 PM by Charlie »
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »

OK let me know when you have posted them!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:15 AM »

OK let me know when you have posted them!
I started a thread last week called, a few new mods, in the Softail Convertible Section of the forum, check it out and you will find a few photos of the Derby and Cam Covers, let me know what you think!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »

Custom Vehicle Discussions / CVO™ Softail® Convertible / Re: A Few New Mods!!!

See the details of the link above, if you have a good look through the discussion you will find a few photos of my Bike with the Cam & Derby Covers,

Cheers,
Charlie

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »

I'll go and have a look! :2vrolijk_21:

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »

I am thinking of buying a Roland Sands air cleaner to replace the stock air cleaner on my 11' Street Glid. My knee hits the current air cleaner and gives me a bruise after riding all day. It looks like the RSD would not be in the way. My question is which model would be best between the Venturi and Turbine?

http://www.rolandsands.com/products/Venturi-Air-Cleaner-Speed-7-Chrome

http://www.rolandsands.com/products/Turbine-Air-Cleaner-Chrome
Out of the Turbine and Venturi, i would for sure go for the Turbine,
You should also consider the Clarity Line Air Breather! Very Cool!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »

Definitely more comfortable against my leg than the football was. So far its managed to stay crystal clear inside as well. Only 20 miles though so time will tell. Very happy with it so far.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:49 PM »

Did you go for the Air Cleaner only?

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 10:23:53 PM »

yes, only air

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »

Just an FYI in case anyone is going with any of their air cleaners you might want to order this with it

http://www.performancemachine.com/motorcycle-air-cleaners/throttle-servo-cover.html

I contacted PM about the throttle servo being exposed now as it was hidden before with the stock filter cover and they referred me to above product.

Quick search on ebay (easternperformance) $63 shipped.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

Just an FYI in case anyone is going with any of their air cleaners you might want to order this with it

http://www.performancemachine.com/motorcycle-air-cleaners/throttle-servo-cover.html

I contacted PM about the throttle servo being exposed now as it was hidden before with the stock filter cover and they referred me to above product.

Quick search on ebay (easternperformance) $63 shipped.
:2vrolijk_21:

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »

Lotta money for a little material, I didn't pay sticker price at least

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 02:07:59 AM »

So this thing goes between backplate and TB. Bracket rests against gasket and then is supposed to go metal to metal with backplate. I put a very small amount of ultra copper RTV between bracket and backplate. Cranked it down and cleaned away any that pressed out.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 02:09:00 AM »

Before install

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 02:10:14 AM »

And after

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »

Looks Great  :2vrolijk_21:
Its all about the little details!
When your playing around with a 30K bike, whats a few extra dollars!
I for sure will be adding it when i fit the Clarity Breather!

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »

Poopy,
  I actually ordered both of these air cleaners for my '11 RG (victim of on-line senility), although I got the Speed 7 in contrast cut, and the Turbine in Black Ops.  I started with the Speed 7, but when I swapped to the Turbine, I decided that the Turbine was a better fit.  No issues installing either one, and definitely fits better than the oval H-D piece.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »

And after
Do you have any photos showing how the clarity cleaner looks! showing a little more of the bike?

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »

Do you have any photos showing how the clarity cleaner looks! showing a little more of the bike?

I'll have to take some pics from a distance when I get a chance. For some reason I have to crop all my pictures pretty small in order for them to upload to site.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »

Thanks,
I have the same problem with the photos! the forum will only take photos to a max size of 2mb each!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »

And don't forget to get one of these...

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »

And don't forget to get one of these...
Good Call! i had forgot!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:27 AM »

Many accessories that look great on one bike can look so-so on a different model.  Coming a little late to this thread, but I have the contrast cut Turbine intake, which I think is an amazing looking piece.  The first time I saw it on a bike, I thought I had to have it.  I still like it, but my bike has no brushed aluminum or matte black, and it just feels a little out of place.

Good luck.  With the two intakes you've mentioned, you really can't go wrong.  It's just funny how you never know how it's going to look until you put it together.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 10:03:57 PM »

Many accessories that look great on one bike can look so-so on a different model.  Coming a little late to this thread, but I have the contrast cut Turbine intake, which I think is an amazing looking piece.  The first time I saw it on a bike, I thought I had to have it.  I still like it, but my bike has no brushed aluminum or matte black, and it just feels a little out of place.

Good luck.  With the two intakes you've mentioned, you really can't go wrong.  It's just funny how you never know how it's going to look until you put it together.

Great looking bit of kit but i do see your point! the chrome would have looked better!

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 11:07:23 PM »

Choosing the right air filter for me has taken a long time. Finally got one going on

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 11:22:42 PM »

Choosing the right air filter for me has taken a long time. Finally got one going on
What did you go for?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.