Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headset problems after adding 2nd helmet  (Read 1532 times)

Black Label Mark

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 SE Ultra & 2003 FXDXT
Headset problems after adding 2nd helmet
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:33 PM »

My 2008 Ultra Classic came with a HD headset kit which I installed into my helmet (microphone and headset speakers).  I bought a J&M Universal communications kit for my Wife's full face helmet. The kit consists of two earphones, and a microphone which all plug in together into the side helmet "mount".

My helmet works fine. When I plug the Wife's helmet in you can hear audio but when I push-to-talk (PTT) a loud squeal comes on in both helmets and won't go away.

I disconnect the driver's helmet, use PTT and there is no squeal in the Wife's helmet.

I plug the Wife's helmet into the driver's connection, use PTT and there is no squeal. Plug in the driver's helmet into the passenger connection, use PTT and there is that squeal again.

The interface cable from J&M is for the HD 7-pin system (HC-PH). Is that correct?

Could I have screwed up and crossed up the microphone and one earphone connection (since those wires were of the same length)? It seems that the connectors were specific.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:00:09 PM by Black Label Mark »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Headset problems after adding 2nd helmet
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:01:55 PM »

My 2008 Ultra Classic came with a HD headset kit which I installed into my helmet (microphone and headset speakers).  I bought a J&M Universal communications kit for my Wife's full face helmet. The kit consists of two earphones, and a microphone which all plug in together into the side helmet "mount".

My helmet works fine. When I plug the Wife's helmet in you can hear audio but when I push-to-talk (PTT) a loud squeal comes on in both helmets and won't go away.

I disconnect the driver's helmet, use PTT and there is no squeal in the Wife's helmet.

I plug the Wife's helmet into the driver's connection, use PTT and there is no squeal. Plug in the driver's helmet into the passenger connection, use PTT and there is that squeal again.

The interface cable from J&M is for the HD 7-pin system (HC-PH). Is that correct?

Could I have screwed up and crossed up the microphone and one earphone connection (since those wires were of the same length)? It seems that the connectors were specific.

I think you've identified to problem. If I recall correctly, the 2006 and up HK radios require the "Z" cord from J&M.

I'd call them to confirm.

Good luck,

:indian_chief:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:14:36 PM »

I think you've identified to problem. If I recall correctly, the 2006 and up HK radios require the "Z" cord from J&M.

I'd call them to confirm.

Good luck,

:indian_chief:

That is correct, Chuck...the HK radio does indeed require the Z cord.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Black Label Mark

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »

J&M confirmed I need the HC-PH cable...... which is the one I purchased.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »

J&M confirmed I need the HC-PH cable...... which is the one I purchased.

Is your CB (on) ? Check your Sq Level if it is- or turn it off then test.
If you have your intercom turned on you should not need to use to ptt button to talk (the passenger would use that to tx over the cb.

Check you owners manul for the intercom setup As well.

Black Label Mark

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 04:49:09 PM »

Is your CB (on) ? Check your Sq Level if it is- or turn it off then test.
If you have your intercom turned on you should not need to use to ptt button to talk (the passenger would use that to tx over the cb.

Check you owners manul for the intercom setup As well.

You can also use the PTT to manually overide the VOX on the intercom...if needed

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.