Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Battery Longevity??????  (Read 28909 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Battery Longevity??????
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »

No problems, OR you can push start them as long as you've got enough juice to get the electrics going...
thanks, now I've got to add more weight to my saddlebag (jump cables)  :'(  At least the siphon hose wasn't heavy )  :huepfenlol2: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »

Well I guess I am a little like d00d - I guess I am a thrill-seeker.  I ran the battery on my 02 for 5 years.

I ride year round - not everyday, but even in the winter I manage to ride once or twice a week.  I have never used a battery tender, but my bike stays in my climate controlled shop - I think keeping the battery from being exposed to sub-freezing temps really helps extend battery life.

For you guys that can't ride in the winter and/or store your bikes in sub-freezing temps, the battery tender is a great idea.  Even then, you will probably have to replace your battery more often.  Batteries perform better when you can use them - riding with lights and accessories and charging while riding.

I do carry a small set of jumper cables - they don't take up any more room than an extra pair of gloves.  So far, I have only used them to jump other bikes - not my own.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »

Well I guess I am a little like d00d - I guess I am a thrill-seeker.  I ran the battery on my 02 for 5 years.

I ride year round - not everyday, but even in the winter I manage to ride once or twice a week.  I have never used a battery tender, but my bike stays in my climate controlled shop - I think keeping the battery from being exposed to sub-freezing temps really helps extend battery life.

For you guys that can't ride in the winter and/or store your bikes in sub-freezing temps, the battery tender is a great idea.  Even then, you will probably have to replace your battery more often.  Batteries perform better when you can use them - riding with lights and accessories and charging while riding.

I do carry a small set of jumper cables - they don't take up any more room than an extra pair of gloves.  So far, I have only used them to jump other bikes - not my own.

I have 2 bikes, both ridden weekly, year round.  By riding, I mean at least a 30 minute plus ride also, not just to the gas station & back.  No battery tender. Replaced the battery on the RK after slightly over 5 years.  Not unheard of for them to last longer - 3to 5 appears to be the average for bikes ridden regularly.  In cold climates riding weekly is not possible & for those blessed with lots of bikes its not usually possible.

Agreed on your comments re: riding & charging.  Same for all vehicles with batteries.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »

I agree on the regular riding in extending the life of the battery.  Battery tenders probably are the next best thing.  I read somewhere awhile back that it's the hot temps that kill a battery, not the cold ones.  It contridicted what I'd always imagined.  Question:  do you remember where you got the small jumper cables you carry?  thanks,   :)spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »

No problems, OR you can push start them as long as you've got enough juice to get the electrics going...
All I can say is the only way I could do the old "run and bump" start with my SEEG is if I had a decent downhill stretch of pavement or a couple Olympic quality bob sledders as pushers.  If I had to personally provide all the oomph to get this heavy sucker moving fast enough to fire it up, someone would have to cart me off to the hospital (or the morgue). ???

Just another thought while on the subject of jump starting; for anyone tempted to shortcut by using the pigtail for the battery tender to make your connection to the donor electrical source, don't do it.  You will find that the current draw will quickly fry the 7 amp fuse located in the pigtail.

Another thought; if you are starting to wonder if you should try to get another season out of your current battery, rather than throw away a perfectly good battery have it tested with a load tester.  This will give you the best picture of the batteries internal condition.  Kind of like doing a stress test to determine cardiovascular health.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »

All I can say is the only way I could do the old "run and bump" start with my SEEG is if I had a decent downhill stretch of pavement or a couple Olympic quality bob sledders as pushers.  If I had to personally provide all the oomph to get this heavy sucker moving fast enough to fire it up, someone would have to cart me off to the hospital (or the morgue). ???

Another thought; if you are starting to wonder if you should try to get another season out of your current battery, rather than throw away a perfectly good battery have it tested with a load tester.  This will give you the best picture of the batteries internal condition.  Kind of like doing a stress test to determine cardiovascular health.

Jerry

Very Good Advise.

I also agree on pushing a 850 lbs. bike.  I am not thinking I am man enough for too much of that.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »

I agree on the regular riding in extending the life of the battery.  Battery tenders probably are the next best thing.  I read somewhere awhile back that it's the hot temps that kill a battery, not the cold ones.  It contridicted what I'd always imagined.  Question:  do you remember where you got the small jumper cables you carry?  thanks,   :)spyder

Right you are spyder.  Cold temperatures reduce capacity (until normal temps are restored) but not necessarily the longevity of the battery.  High temps definitely have a negative effect on longevity.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »

Brian;
The stock HD battery runs about $89.00 List. Now since you have budgeted 150 I just freed up 60 for some chrome ;D

Well, $40, anyway! :2vrolijk_21:

H-D® AGM Original Equipment Batteries

66010-97B

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '97-later FLHR, FLHT, and FLTR Touring models.

MSRP US $109.95

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 04:27:24 PM »

Well, $40, anyway! :2vrolijk_21:

H-D® AGM Original Equipment Batteries

66010-97B

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '97-later FLHR, FLHT, and FLTR Touring models.

MSRP US $109.95

so this is one of those deals that can not be 'ordered'......only purchased from stock at the dealer?  :nixweiss:  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »

so this is one of those deals that can not be 'ordered'......only purchased from stock at the dealer?  :nixweiss:  spyder
I would think because of the contents of the battery it might be considered a hazardous materail if that's the case it will get expensive to deliver. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »

I'll betcha Jenni would take care of us, Spyder.  Heck, they had to get 'em to the dealers, right? :nixweiss:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »

I'll betcha Jenni would take care of us, Spyder.  Heck, they had to get 'em to the dealers, right? :nixweiss:

Do you need one now?   Who knows on mine.....could be today or 6 to 9 mos. out.....either way, I could do one now if she could do it.  I'm still holding my breath on the fairing being good whenever it comes.   :nervous: :nervous:  It's like: with my past history in these matters and TwoLane's recent tale of woes, I'm worried about his bad juju getting over the mountains.......  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous::nervous:har!  spyder
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:11:10 PM by spydglide »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »

Do you need one now?   Who knows on mine.....could be today or 6 to 9 mos. out.....either way, I could do one now if she could do it.  I'm still holding my breath on the fairing being good whenever it comes.   :nervous: :nervous:  It's like: with my past history in these matters and TwoLane's recent tale of woes, I'm worried about his bad juju getting over the mountains.......  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous::nervous:har!  spyder

Spyder, it's like 20 degrees here with 3 inches of snow on the ground.  I don't need one now, no. :huepfenlol2:  Probably around mid-March or so, I'll get a couple of 'em.  The ol' SERG's sittin' there without one right now, so once the weather starts to break, I'll need to get 'er ready to go and make sure the SEEG's ready for business, too! :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »

Spyder, it's like 20 degrees here with 3 inches of snow on the ground.  I don't need one now, no. :huepfenlol2:  Probably around mid-March or so, I'll get a couple of 'em.  The ol' SERG's sittin' there without one right now, so once the weather starts to break, I'll need to get 'er ready to go and make sure the SEEG's ready for business, too! :2vrolijk_21:

See Brian, I'm ashamed to say that I'm completely out of touch with you all up in the Northern climes.....I'm packing for a little run up towards Fancy Gap, VA tomorrow and you don't even have batteries in your scooters.   I need to get a bit more empathatic.  I'll work on it Buddy.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »

See Brian, I'm ashamed to say that I'm completely out of touch with you all up in the Northern climes.....I'm packing for a little run up towards Fancy Gap, VA tomorrow and you don't even have batteries in your scooters.   I need to get a bit more empathatic.  I'll work on it Buddy.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

Hell, Spydy...that's what they git fer not havin' sense enough to move South...

Going to be in the low to mid 70's in B'ham this weekend... ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.745 seconds with 24 queries.