Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Garmin Introduces Nuvifone  (Read 6155 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Garmin Introduces Nuvifone
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 12:03:11 PM »

Chuck,
Keep tapping, the Zumo 1050 with collision avoidance and dopler weather radar won't be out on the streets for quite awhile.  Seems they can't find a suitable place to mount the suitcase sized linear amplified needed to provide the atmospheric-cutting 10,000 watts for the dopler radar.  Also, they're still trying to figure out how to prevent the "crispy critter" effect on people ahead of you.   ::) :P

:devil:

Charlie,

I know you're having fun, but I'm serious. They've got radar overlay in the 478, I just want them to put that same thing (XM Weather) in the Zumo line. They've already got the Zumo to use the hockey puck XM antenna, now all they have to do is enable the rest of the goodies that XM-30A antenna offers.

The screen might be the problem as it may not have the resolution required.

They're close on a lot of fronts, but just haven't connected the dots yet.

tap tap tap tap tap  :)

:indian_chief:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »

Charlie,

I know you're having fun, but I'm serious. They've got radar overlay in the 478, I just want them to put that same thing (XM Weather) in the Zumo line. They've already got the Zumo to use the hockey puck XM antenna, now all they have to do is enable the rest of the goodies that XM-30A antenna offers.

The screen might be the problem as it may not have the resolution required.

They're close on a lot of fronts, but just haven't connected the dots yet.

tap tap tap tap tap  :)

Chuck,
Oh THAT radar...I didn't think you were referring to XM traffic and the like.  Sorry, my bad.  I thought you were funnin' and I was just playing along.  ;) I don't know why they can't provide that, the resolution in most built in Nav systems that do provide XM traffic, aren't any better than the ZUMOs.  Doesn't Garmin provide the XM in one of the higher up Street Pilot models?   :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

Chuck,
Oh THAT radar...I didn't think you were referring to XM traffic and the like.  Sorry, my bad.  I thought you were funnin' and I was just playing along.  ;) I don't know why they can't provide that, the resolution in most built in Nav systems that do provide XM traffic, aren't any better than the ZUMOs.  Doesn't Garmin provide the XM in one of the higher up Street Pilot models?   :nixweiss:

Yes they do. XM Traffic has basic forecast weather, you know "Chicago - Sunny and 52" kind of stuff. The full-on XM Weather package ($30/month) has radar overlays and other information not available through the XM Traffic pkg.

This is what I want...
In the Zumo package.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »

Yes they do. XM Traffic has basic forecast weather, you know "Chicago - Sunny and 52" kind of stuff. The full-on XM Weather package ($30/month) has radar overlays and other information not available through the XM Traffic pkg.

This is what I want...
In the Zumo package.

I take it the XM30 receiver can't be hooked up to the Zumo to get that functionality?  I like the idea of having that on the display... 8)

2012 FLHXSE3

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »

I take it the XM30 receiver can't be hooked up to the Zumo to get that functionality?  I like the idea of having that on the display... 8)

Correct. The XM30 plugs in but only for the XM Radio and, I believe XM Traffic. It does not give you XM Weather I am certain of.

From Garmin.com
With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zūmo in the U.S. As an alternative, zūmo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zūmo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups.

'check the weather' means check basic forecasts for cities.

It is just a logical extension of their capability to have a Motorcycle GPS with Radar overlay. Isn't it?  :nixweiss:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:11:35 PM by Chief »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »

Correct. The XM30 plugs in but only for the XM Radio and, I believe XM Traffic. It does not give you XM Weather I am certain of.

From Garmin.com
'check the weather' means check basic forecasts for cities.

It is just a logical extension of their capability to have a Motorcycle GPS with Radar overlay. Isn't it?  :nixweiss:

Yepper!  :2vrolijk_21:  I'm with you and in for one when they come up with that capability.  That would be too cool to have that all at your finger tip.  Would be nice to have a radar picture of what's "rolling in" so that you can either park it and wait for it to pass, ride around it, or get the foul weather get on cuz ya know the "big" one's coming.

2012 FLHXSE3

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 02:34:38 PM »

Yepper!  :2vrolijk_21:  I'm with you and in for one when they come up with that capability.  That would be too cool to have that all at your finger tip.  Would be nice to have a radar picture of what's "rolling in" so that you can either park it and wait for it to pass, ride around it, or get the foul weather get on cuz ya know the "big" one's coming.

When we rode to HS last year with Hard10, he had his Garmin 478 with radar turned on. It was nice. He'd radio that we were about to hit a small shower but we'll be out in a mile or two. He was right. Then we heard. "We beter suit up at lunch.", so we did and it was the right thing to do. Pretty cool. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »

Mrs.We, I don't think anyone is being mean to you.  (well, twolanerider did use the whip trying to imply that you needed to 'keep up'....har!).

Noooooooooooooooo.   Those were Mrs.We's whips slapping on Gary's pumpkin.  That's why the pumpkin was in the middle  :2vrolijk_21: .

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »

Noooooooooooooooo.   Those were Mrs.We's whips slapping on Gary's pumpkin.  That's why the pumpkin was in the middle  :2vrolijk_21: .
Oh, totally missed that one then... :-[.....also, since when has Candy had 'dual' whips?  :o  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 09:06:15 PM »

Oh, totally missed that one then... :-[.....also, since when has Candy had 'dual' whips?  :o  har!  :drink: spyder

Truth is Spyder Mrs We doesn't need whips.  She's the only one here we're all really scared of anyway ??? !

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

Truth is Spyder Mrs We doesn't need whips.  She's the only one here we're all really scared of anyway ??? !
And I really don't know why that is.......do you?  I've never known anyone, personally, that's she's 'hurt'.  Maybe we need to check to see if this is a urban legend or what..... :nixweiss:.....har!  :huepfenlol2: :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »

And I really don't know why that is.......do you?  I've never known anyone, personally, that's she's 'hurt'.  Maybe we need to check to see if this is a urban legend or what..... :nixweiss:.....har!  :huepfenlol2: :drink: spyder

It's got to be genetic memory or something.  Just know I never want to get on her angry side.  I'd run like a little girl! ???
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 25 queries.