Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Can't get the garage door opener to program?  (Read 6153 times)

Glide Boy

• Full CVO Member
Can't get the garage door opener to program?
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:51 AM »

Just installed the HD garage door opener on my 2009 SERG and can't get it to program.  I bought the Y adapter so I would not have to cut into any factory harness, just plug a few wires in.  I tested and am getting power.  Has anyone seen the problem with this?
Thanks,
GlideBoy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Can't get the garage door opener to program?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:50:08 AM »

Just installed the HD garage door opener on my 2009 SERG and can't get it to program.  I bought the Y adapter so I would not have to cut into any factory harness, just plug a few wires in.  I tested and am getting power.  Has anyone seen the problem with this?
Thanks,
GlideBoy

Unfortunately aside from it not working can't really know what "the problem" is.  Does it seem the transmitter in the bike is working?  There's a little LED that blinks when you activate it if it's working correctly.

If it seems to be working are you sure you've done the mating process between the xmitter and receiver correctly and completely.  Does the receiver's little light blink when it is signaled?  Is it's antenna coiled a bit or hanging limp?  Is the pigtail from the receiver hooked to your opener's motor?  Say more of what you've done and what you're seeing.  Then might be able to help out a bit more.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »

For some reason mine just decided to stop working last week.  I downloaded the instruction sheet for the kit from the H-D website as the service manual was lacking in information.  There were several troubleshooting steps to take and everything was checking out but still no joy.  So I 'reset' the receiver (wiped out its memory).  You do this by unplugging it and then when you plug it back in you hold the programming button down.  The red light will flash very rapidly then release the button and program the transmitter as per instructions.  Solved my problem and might work for you.  Worth a try.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »

For some reason mine just decided to stop working last week.  I downloaded the instruction sheet for the kit from the H-D website as the service manual was lacking in information.  There were several troubleshooting steps to take and everything was checking out but still no joy.  So I 'reset' the receiver (wiped out its memory).  You do this by unplugging it and then when you plug it back in you hold the programming button down.  The red light will flash very rapidly then release the button and program the transmitter as per instructions.  Solved my problem and might work for you.  Worth a try.

Jerry, that might be a long term fix.  But it might not.  Know of three of those units that have seemed to "lose" their programming and started doing so with some regularity.  Each of those three ended up needing help.  Two were fixed with transmitters and one with a new receiver.

The unit in the old Road Glide did it just this part spring.  It ended up being a xmitter.  It was easier to isolate one part from the other though as the other bike always worked fine.  So knew it wasn't the receiver.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »

Jerry, that might be a long term fix.  But it might not.  Know of three of those units that have seemed to "lose" their programming and started doing so with some regularity.  Each of those three ended up needing help.  Two were fixed with transmitters and one with a new receiver.

The unit in the old Road Glide did it just this part spring.  It ended up being a xmitter.  It was easier to isolate one part from the other though as the other bike always worked fine.  So knew it wasn't the receiver.
You never know with these electronics do you?  If this had not worked I was ready to pull out a spare receiver I have so I could isolate the problem.  If it happens again guess I'll just switch the receiver units and see what happens.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »

Mine quite working a couple weeks ago also, thanks for the link, kept a copy of it, now I need to go out and see if I can fix it.  I know the tranmsitter is working, I had a wire come off a speaker and watched for the light on it when I was in the fairing, that works.  Will try the reset thing when I get a chance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »

Mine quite working a couple weeks ago also, thanks for the link, kept a copy of it, now I need to go out and see if I can fix it.  I know the tranmsitter is working, I had a wire come off a speaker and watched for the light on it when I was in the fairing, that works.  Will try the reset thing when I get a chance.

Jerry, on the old SERG and one other I know of the xmitter appeared to work also.  Light blinked.  It sent a signal that opened the door.  It was like it's signal "wandered" and had to be re-mated to the receiver. 

Would sometimes hold a few days and sometimes a couple weeks.  In my case knew it wasn't the receiver though because the other bike always worked fine.  Come to think of it the other one I know behaving the same way had multiple bikes in the garage also.  So he also didn't have to troubleshoot the receiver.

It's certainly not a likely failure.  Just keep in mind that apparently a xmitter that appears to function isn't a permanent diagnosis with these things.  Some sort of GDO xmitter Alzheimer's and they forget their freq.

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »

Mine was working fine and then went out yesterday. Have tried all of the fixes, I guess I am stealer bound.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »

Jerry, on the old SERG and one other I know of the xmitter appeared to work also.  Light blinked.  It sent a signal that opened the door.  It was like it's signal "wandered" and had to be re-mated to the receiver. 

Would sometimes hold a few days and sometimes a couple weeks.  In my case knew it wasn't the receiver though because the other bike always worked fine.  Come to think of it the other one I know behaving the same way had multiple bikes in the garage also.  So he also didn't have to troubleshoot the receiver.

It's certainly not a likely failure.  Just keep in mind that apparently a xmitter that appears to function isn't a permanent diagnosis with these things.  Some sort of GDO xmitter Alzheimer's and they forget their freq.

Well I'll give it a shot, if it keeps flaking out I'll just remove it and install a regular transmitter for my opener, the HD one came with my CVO, I just kept it when I got rid of it.  A relay and some solder I should be able to get any transmitter to work the same way.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 04:28:34 PM »

Well I'll give it a shot, if it keeps flaking out I'll just remove it and install a regular transmitter for my opener, the HD one came with my CVO, I just kept it when I got rid of it.  A relay and some solder I should be able to get any transmitter to work the same way.

:2vrolijk_21:  With a fairing bike it should be a piece of cake to install one of the regular transmitters made for your garage door opener without having to use a separate receiver to activate the motor controls like H-D uses.  And you'll probably get better range, since the H-D system tends to screw up the range of the regular opener.  I did it with my Dyna by getting one of the mini transmitters that could be hidden behind the headlight, soldering a couple wires to the circuit board and running them to a momentary switch I added to the console.  Worked like a champ, and much better all around than the one that came with the SEEG.  You could rig up some electronics to be able to use the headlamp switch to trigger the transmitter if you prefer that method, but I kind of liked just having a dedicated button to push.  Lot's of places on a fairing bike to add one unobtrusively.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »

It could be your garage door opener, too. I have three HDs and all have the HD opener. They worked great for the last few years. I installed a new garage door opener last week and the HD openers pretty much quit working. I re-set each HD opener and I can see the red light click on the receiver, but the signal it sends through the wires to the opener must not be compatible with my new opener. I know I have it wired correctly and have tried everything I can think of. I works about 1 out of 10 times I hit the HD transmit button, and the red light flashes on the receiver every time.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:  With a fairing bike it should be a piece of cake to install one of the regular transmitters made for your garage door opener without having to use a separate receiver to activate the motor controls like H-D uses.  And you'll probably get better range, since the H-D system tends to screw up the range of the regular opener.  I did it with my Dyna by getting one of the mini transmitters that could be hidden behind the headlight, soldering a couple wires to the circuit board and running them to a momentary switch I added to the console.  Worked like a champ, and much better all around than the one that came with the SEEG.  You could rig up some electronics to be able to use the headlamp switch to trigger the transmitter if you prefer that method, but I kind of liked just having a dedicated button to push.  Lot's of places on a fairing bike to add one unobtrusively.

Jerry

Actually had pretty good range with the HD setup, as much as I needed anyways, could turn it on from the end of my drive or as I rode past the front, bout 250' for either, but the reciever was mounted high in the garage with nothing really blocking it.  Still better than our Genie transmitters work, of course both vehicles have their own systems, but you still have to be almost halfway up the drive before they'll work.  Relay would work the same as the momentary, I bought a batch of 30 relays a while back for a headlight project on my GMC Denali, was cheaper than buying the quad-headlight system and I have the fogs on all the time also.

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »

I cant even get the light to flicker or click on my receiver.  :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »

I cant even get the light to flicker or click on my receiver.  :nixweiss:

When it is plugged in to wall power the little light is dead?  Or when you signal it with the transmitter?

FYI, the little light died on my receiver a long time ago.  It's hard to use it for diagnostic purposes when it's dead :huepfenlol2: .
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.