Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 660 Mounting options for SERGU?  (Read 1888 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
660 Mounting options for SERGU?
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »

Anyone have an easy fix for relocating the 660 from the handlebar to the fairing?  I have a hard time reading it so close, the location on the dash on my last bike was great....still hard to read with my eyes, but ledgible.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: 660 Mounting options for SERGU?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »

Anyone have an easy fix for relocating the 660 from the handlebar to the fairing?  I have a hard time reading it so close, the location on the dash on my last bike was great....still hard to read with my eyes, but ledgible.

Try this:  http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/products/harley-davidson/audio-and-electronics/road-glide-iphone-android-garmin-zumo-gps-mount.cfm

The only alternative I'm aware of.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »

Try this:  http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/products/harley-davidson/audio-and-electronics/road-glide-iphone-android-garmin-zumo-gps-mount.cfm

The only alternative I'm aware of.

Thanks for the info.  I checked it out,  but I'm not about to put it on the tac/speedo counsel.  I can't see why they wouldn't make something similar to what works on the bat wing fairing?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I checked it out,  but I'm not about to put it on the tac/speedo counsel.  I can't see why they wouldn't make something similar to what works on the bat wing fairing?

It would be hard to come up with something that mounts to the actual dash on the RG fairing without blocking the view of other stuff.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:20:06 AM »

It would be hard to come up with something that mounts to the actual dash on the RG fairing without blocking the view of other stuff.

Yes, your right...but I'm sure theres a way.  I think the reality is that there are so few RG that its not worth the R&D to come up with a viable alternative or HD probably would have went that route from the get go?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:27:59 AM »

Rio,

***I just added a picture on the next post***

Let me start by saying I am not a good writer like some people on this site, I will do my best though.  

I wish I had some pictures to show you, I sold the bike and don't think I ever took a picture that showed the mount I made for it. I will do my best to describe the mount, I had a ton of comments on how clean a setup it was.

The finished product if you like it, you eliminate the top left gauge on your dash, and your GPS will be mounted through the gauge hole, angled right at your face. Super clean, no permanent damage to your fairing, with a total cost of about $10. The added bonus is, the GPS is totally protected from the weather by the windshield.

Here is a basic description:

You want to free up the top left gauge hole
take out the air temp gauge and through away (they are junk)
I think I had to move the Fuel gauge? down to the lower hole to free up the top hole.
Buy a foot long piece of 2" black ABS plastic from your local hardware store (when done you will only use a 2-3" piece, but it gives you some to experiment with)
buy 4 long Stainless Steel bolts (I would guess about 4") and 4 nylock nuts

you are going to cut a piece of the ABS to fit into the empty gauge hole
you can put any angle on it you want, so your GPS points directly at you
you have to notch the ABS so the GPS mount fits tightly against it
notch the ABS so the cable fits between the GPS mount and the ABS
when I did it, I had a mounting plate that was about 3"x3" flat metal, it was factory drilled to match the bolt pattern of the GPS

Cut one end of the ABS square
on that end you have to trim the thickness of the ABS, it is a tiny bit to big to fit into the gauge hole
I filed the first 1/4" or so of the ABS down so it would fit into the gauge hole, but you couldn't see the file marks once in the hole
The ABS will fit in the hole and but up against the lip that the gauge mounted to.
Next figure out the angle that you want your GPS mounted and cut that angle
The bottom part of the GPS mount where the cable comes out protrudes out a little, so you have to trim the ABS so that the mount fits tight to the ABS

The stock bolt pattern of the GPS fits perfectly inside the ABS
take the GPS mount with the 4 long bolts
put the custom piece of ABS you made in the gauge hole
push all the wires through the ABS and gauge hole
push all the 4" long bolts through the ABS and gauge hole
use the piece of 3"x3" metal described above on the INSIDE of the fairing
bolt it all together pinching the inner fairing between the GPS mount on the outside and the 3x3 plate on the inside

So you have:
GPS mount
4" bolts
ABS
Stock fairing
3x3 plate with the 4" screw going through it
nylock nuts holding it all together.

If you think about it, it can't go anywhere. The bolts fit tight against the inside of the ABS, held in place by the GPS mount on one end, and the 3x3 plate with the same bolt pattern on the other end, with the Inner fairing pinched between. You will be amazed how well the outside of the ABS can be buffed. Against black painted surface it looks great. The hardest part is trimming the diameter of the ABS so that it fits into the gauge hole and buts up against the lip the gauge mounted against.

I hope this makes some sense. Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:43:56 AM by FAST380 »

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 01:37:07 AM »

here is a picture I found that shows the mount, not a good picture, but it shows it

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »

another picture

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »

FAST380.................THANKS!  That is an awesome approach!  The temp gauge is useless, and if I need to know the outside temperature, I can ask someone else, look at a electronic billboard, or if I need to have it, I could buy a handlebar mount and put it where the GPS used to be mounted.  I'm not sure if I have the patience or mechanical creativity, and mostly the time to tinker with it and figure out the directions.  There is a very good custom sterio store that does some incredible custom design on cars and they have all the fabrication capabilities to do a custom install.  I think I will use your idea but have someone else do it so it's done right?  If I had the time, I could probably pull the fairing off and figure it out?  Maybe I will try. 

I'm sure some other RG members will appreciate your post!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »

FAST380..PS....if it's possible you could locate and post some better close ups, that would be great!  It's amazing some vendor hasn't come up with this idea.  Heck, you say it cost $10, get it made, provide a good detailed set of instructions with all the necessary hardware and pieces fabricated and conservatively speaking people would spend $75.00 all day long for that convenience.  Problem as always with RG owners, how many are out there total compared to batwing's, then, pare that down further to how many have a GPS?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »

Rio,

I have been looking through old pictures, I just can't find anything worth a shart. Any shop that has skill at all should be able to pull it off. I will keep looking...

Scott

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »

Thanks again.  I love the location, behind the windshild protected from the glare and rain, and far enough away so I don't need reading glasses!  Absolutley a planned off season project!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

FAST380:  Better yet, I just came up with an idea.  The unit came with a window mount.  I would bet that you could rig that window (round) mount to fit right over the open gauge hole and fit it with cross brackets on the inside of the fairing.  I would have to look at it closer, but you may even be able to go in through the backside of the fairing with the mount if it separates?  Either way, the temperature gauge is a waste of space, you can re-locate the fuel gauge to that space and use that slot one way or another!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »

I played with every possible configuration I could think of, spent a few hours in the garage, about gave up, then came up with the ABS pipe trick. I thought about mounting an arm on the inside of the fairing and coming through the gauge hole etc. When I was done with the ABS setup I was very happy, super clean, 100% removable with no damage to dash, the gauge hole was sealed by the ABS pipe so no water or dust could go into the dash, all the wires fed through the pipe so they were totally hidden, etc. Play with different ideas, you may come up with a modified version, or something totally different. If nothing else this got you thinking in a direction. Make sure you do better than me and post some pictures when you are done, it pisses me off I don't have any good pictures of it.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

I have an 09 RG that  I relocated to the fairing. I'll try to get some pics for you.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 24 queries.