Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle.com Bagger shoot out  (Read 1706 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Motorcycle.com Bagger shoot out
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:27:28 AM »

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/big-dam-tour

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Motorcycle.com Bagger shoot out
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »

The BMW is a great riding and handling bike, I do agree with the article there.  It will out handle any harley touring bike.  I do think the harley is more comfortable for long haul, and sure has more style.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »

It will be interesting to see how the new GoldWing fits-in at next year’s bagger shoot-out.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:39:17 AM »

The BMW is a great riding and handling bike, I do agree with the article there.  It will out handle any harley touring bike.  I do think the harley is more comfortable for long haul, and sure has more style.
Rode Harleys for 28 years, still like them. Bought myself a new K1600B or Bagger after a test ride.

While beauty and style is in the eye of the beholder, like You, I would give this category to Harley. The BMW has great paint but lacks the traditional style found on a Harley.

When it comes to comfort I would disagree. The BMW is much more comfortable.  Riding down the freeway with the bikes adjustable active suspension system is like riding a stick of butter. No comparison. In addition, it's reassuring knowing at 75 to 80 mph your at the beginning not end of the bikes performance envelope.

Can't really explain in words how enjoyable this bike is to ride.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »

It will be interesting to see how the new GoldWing fits-in at next year’s bagger shoot-out.
Agreed: Honda's new Goldwing uses the same suspension system as the BMW K bikes. They both have 6cyl engines. That said, they are significantly different bikes. The BMW straight 6cyl has more HP and torque, 7 gallon vs 5.5 gallon fuel capacity. Electronic adjustable suspension on the Bagger, the Wing only offers with their tour pak equipped model.

They are both great bikes, just different personalities.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »

I test rode one of those BMWs.  A great bike, handled very well and comfortable with one exception.  At 6'4" the foot position just didn't work.....not even for a short half hour ride.  The article above shows the rider at 6'1" with the optional accessories floorboards it looks like a little more comfortable position for that rider however, still not stretched out enough for a long haul ride.....especially for somebody that's really tall.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:41:27 PM »

I agree. Also if someone wants to do a search they will find a post by someone who rode from Virginia to the Arctic Circle and back. He owned a BMW and a Harley. He decided to take the BMW. He got pretty beat up... obviously a long ride and did it in short order. In the end he essentially said he wished he had taken the Harley. Also after he returned he sold both his Harley and the BMW and bought a new CVO street glide.

To each their own, but reading this persons post it was pretty apparent that he did not have an agenda. Just a straight forward report. He missed the protection from the elements offered by the Harley. Seemed like a fair and reasonable unbiased opinion by someone having taken several long rides on both bikes.

And YES. Harley has more style and class!

mark

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »

Motorcycle comfort, styling, etc, has more to do with the individual than anything else.  Sort of like buying shoes - what fits one person doesn't fit another.  While the article may have been an entertaining read, it in no way determines which bike is right for me or you.  Basing one's opinion about a motorcycle on a third person's account has no real value, IMO.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »

I test rode one of those BMWs.  A great bike, handled very well and comfortable with one exception.  At 6'4" the foot position just didn't work.....not even for a short half hour ride.  The article above shows the rider at 6'1" with the optional accessories floorboards it looks like a little more comfortable position for that rider however, still not stretched out enough for a long haul ride.....especially for somebody that's really tall.
Like Harley, you can buy accessories that allow adjustment to the pedal location. Taller riders often buy the K1600 GTL or GT models. The B or GA models appeal more to shorter riders.

My personal hope is that Harley checks out the competition. Hopefully they improve their touring frame and suspension much like they did with the softails. Had Harley offered the 114 motor in a more modern frame and suspension I'm sure I would have bought a new HD touring bike vs the BMW bagger.

Won't be surprised to see a major touring upgrade in 19 or the following year at the latest. I've learned my lesson, when Harley makes a major change previous model prices drop like a rock. IMHO

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.