Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HD garage door opener  (Read 1475 times)

MRN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MB

HD garage door opener
« on: September 02, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »

Is there a way to increase the range of the opener? I’ve added a12 ft. antenna extension, I’ve moved the receiver to the front of the garage. Neither works.
2017 Ultra CVO.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: HD garage door opener
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 02:59:27 PM »

Following.  If you find out let us know.  Have tried moving and relocating the receiver, longer antenna wire, etc.  Nothing works until I turn into the driveway.  Other CVOs with garage door openers worked from the same range -  well back in the street - as the car openers.

On the other hand, I get to practice my slow riding skills in my own driveway each time I use the opener on the bike.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »

Just use a door opener remote made for that opener if you want decent range.  The Harley system is old technology that never worked very well, and it should have been scrapped at least a decade ago.  They could replace their system with a simple programmable transmitter that works directly with your garage door opener if they were serious about making this a useful option.  The fact they haven't done so tells me they don't consider it important.

Btw, I have an older (2010) CUV that came with Home Link, which is similar to what I mentioned Harley could do if they wanted to.  It worked great with the old door opener I had when I bought the CUV.  When I bought a later and more modern garage door opener, the older version of Home Link would not communicate directly with the new opener.  A workaround was provided that involved a separate receiver that had to be mounted in the garage (much like the Harley receiver) which would accept the signal from the Home Link in the CUV, and then that receiver transmitted a compatible signal to the new garage door opener.  Guess what, the range for that system was about half of what it was before I installed the newer garage door opener.  Adding that extra receiver made the Home Link system in the CUV just as short ranged as the system in my CVO.  Find a way to transmit directly to your garage door opener if you want decent range.  There may be modules you can buy to modernize the system in your bike, do some internet searches.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »

There's a thread on here somewhere that someone posted a while back where they actually created an antenna to increase the distance. I can't remember what the final results were though. Looked to be a someone involved project.

Would be nice to be able to just extend the antenna wires to achieve the longer range.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »

I have my reciever up in the attic of my garage and can open the garage about 75 feet away. I also do a delayed  high.    /     low   
You might try to find a place above the garage like I did to see if it helps.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »

There's a thread on here somewhere that someone posted a while back where they actually created an antenna to increase the distance. I can't remember what the final results were though. Looked to be a someone involved project.

Would be nice to be able to just extend the antenna wires to achieve the longer range.

I actually tried extending the antenna outside the garage door.  It didn't help.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 07:23:03 AM »

I have my last two HD receivers that came with the bike still in the wrapper at the house if anyone needs one.  Because of what Jerry stated, I never used them.  I keep a spare actual receiver in one of my cubby holes on the bike...works great.

Not telling tales out of school here but the other motorcycle company that I'm currently involved with does have the homelink receiver module as a plug and play, even made a small space for it (with a rubber plug over it if you don't have it) in the bottom right of the fairing.  It's a bit pricey ($200) so I still use the storage space at the top of the instrument cluster for my old reliable remote.  It really wouldn't take a lot for Harley get with the program, so to speak...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 07:43:24 AM »

I actually tried extending the antenna outside the garage door.  It didn't help.

Jerry

x2.  Also tried moving the receiver higher up. Nothing.

On other bikes the transmitter worked from about the same range as the other vehicles, am guessing on this bike the signal is just weaker.  I have several extra remotes & could carry one but if I hit the hi/lo switch at the right spot & ride slow can ride into the garage just as the door has opened fully.  One of those weird things I have gotten used to, only time I get aggravated about this is when it is raining cats & dogs.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 07:44:28 AM »

I have my last two HD receivers that came with the bike still in the wrapper at the house if anyone needs one.  Because of what Jerry stated, I never used them.  I keep a spare actual receiver in one of my cubby holes on the bike...works great.

Not telling tales out of school here but the other motorcycle company that I'm currently involved with does have the homelink receiver module as a plug and play, even made a small space for it (with a rubber plug over it if you don't have it) in the bottom right of the fairing.  It's a bit pricey ($200) so I still use the storage space at the top of the instrument cluster for my old reliable remote.  It really wouldn't take a lot for Harley get with the program, so to speak...

True.  And if pigs could grow wings they might learn how to fly.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 06:52:56 AM »

I have the HD opener.  Nothing I have done has improved the range.  The transmitter on the bike I believe is what effects the range.  My road glide it will open the door 150 feet away, my road king about 60 feet away and my fatboy has to be with in 10 feet.

My wife's Heritage is like the fatboy, has to be right at the door, and her Road glide is good at about 120 feet.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

fkhan726

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 01:56:35 PM »

As mentioned by Dave it's the bike.  My 15 CVO RG opens it 4 homes down.  My 16 CVO Limited has to be 2 feet from the door.  The same with my friends 17 limited.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 01:12:21 AM »

Another possibility to explain why the range varies by bike:  the transmitter inside the fairing is in a bad position relative to the receiver at the garage.  On my '08 SEUC and my '11 SERG, the transmitter was low on the left inside of the fairing.  Depending on whether your house is on the left or right side of the road as you approach, the radio/SXM/CB/NAV/amplifier modules could be blocking the transmitter signal.

OTOH, it could just be the transmitter is weak and doesn't have a decent any antenna.  It's not connected to the bike antenna.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 08:09:22 AM »

Another possibility to explain why the range varies by bike:  the transmitter inside the fairing is in a bad position relative to the receiver at the garage.  On my '08 SEUC and my '11 SERG, the transmitter was low on the left inside of the fairing.  Depending on whether your house is on the left or right side of the road as you approach, the radio/SXM/CB/NAV/amplifier modules could be blocking the transmitter signal.

OTOH, it could just be the transmitter is weak and doesn't have a decent any antenna.  It's not connected to the bike antenna.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is at least part of the problem, but I'd be more inclined to believe it's just a weak transmitter.  The reason I say that is that I stopped using the Harley system several years ago and installed one of the transmitters that came with the door opener inside the faring on the right side opposite the factory unit.  I soldered two wires to the contacts for the push button on the transmitter, which I then ran to a simple push button on the dash.  The range went from less than 50 feet with the Harley system, to over 100 feet with my jury-rigged system.  I assumed at first the improvement was due to eliminating that Harley receiver, but the more I thought about it the more I started to believe it was also a difference in the actual transmitter power.  In other words, the entire Harley system just sucked.

JMHO - Jerry

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if that is at least part of the problem, but I'd be more inclined to believe it's just a weak transmitter.  The reason I say that is that I stopped using the Harley system several years ago and installed one of the transmitters that came with the door opener inside the faring on the right side opposite the factory unit.  I soldered two wires to the contacts for the push button on the transmitter, which I then ran to a simple push button on the dash.  The range went from less than 50 feet with the Harley system, to over 100 feet with my jury-rigged system.  I assumed at first the improvement was due to eliminating that Harley receiver, but the more I thought about it the more I started to believe it was also a difference in the actual transmitter power.  In other words, the entire Harley system just sucked.

JMHO - Jerry
Sad, but that's always the most likely explanation with HD.  As the saying goes, they could
F-up a (certain type of) dream.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 05:32:44 PM »

Any thought given to the type of headlight?  I switched from halogen to LED and the door now never works on 2 bikes.   Wondering if the headlight is giving off some type of interference
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 08:21:46 PM »

Two of our five bikes have LED head lights, both her road glide and mine.  These are the two bikes that it works best in..
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:08:56 PM »

LED in my Road Glide with no issue.  Fair bit of real estate for separation there.  LED also in the Road King though.  Inside the nacelle the GDO transmitter and headlight are likely in intimate contact with each other.

Of course the obvious difference is both of mine are the far less expensive eBay purchased aftermarket options.  They don't cost enough to be able to generate the extra Screamin' Eagle Radiation that the HD branded units offer so, therefore, can't impact the GDO transmitters.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.