Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IPOD for Navigation, anyone?  (Read 517 times)

Glenncarp

IPOD for Navigation, anyone?
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »

I just bought a refurbished 6th Gen IPOD on eBay for $49 for my music. I tried using a USB for a while, sucks though because the playlist creator gave me fits and trying to keep up with updating new music and playlists was a nightmare. At least with Itunes, it automatically updates all as soon as you plug in the IPOD if you have it set up that way.

If I use my Android phone as a WIFI hotspot anyone know if I can use the IPOD touch with the GTS system and use the maps from Apple on the display? Tried to fool with it but since i am not an iphone guy, never really delved into it much. Figured I'd start here with all you knowledgeable nerds (Typed with full respect. :))

Thanks in advance

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Re: IPOD for Navigation, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:42:55 PM »

What bike do you have?  The "official" rule is that you have to have the Boom GTS system with the WHIM installed and Harley headsets to get Apple Car Play to work.  I happen to have installed all those items and it works flawlessly. 

In theory, you should be able to plug an iPod into the USB and it read it like a regular device and control it with your remote buttons or through the stereo head unit.
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »

What bike do you have?  The "official" rule is that you have to have the Boom GTS system with the WHIM installed and Harley headsets to get Apple Car Play to work.  I happen to have installed all those items and it works flawlessly. 

In theory, you should be able to plug an iPod into the USB and it read it like a regular device and control it with your remote buttons or through the stereo head unit.

I have a 2019 RG special, watched video from Law Abiding Biker, he says all you need to do with recent update is have HD flash unit and click check box in software and then it thinks you have the WHIM installed. Guess I will try that, install the Carplay app on the IPOD and see if that works.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »

it doesn't 'think' you have the whim installed, but you are able to run CarPlay with it.  the only problem is that you won't be able to do any of the functions that require voice.  but that isn't really a big deal.  navigation works a treat, personally, i use waze, and pandora for my music.  you are able to use your handlebar controls to control everything.  interesting work around you've got in mind.  i'll be interested to see if it works.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Glenncarp

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:23:59 PM »

it doesn't 'think' you have the whim installed, but you are able to run CarPlay with it.  the only problem is that you won't be able to do any of the functions that require voice.  but that isn't really a big deal.  navigation works a treat, personally, i use waze, and pandora for my music.  you are able to use your handlebar controls to control everything.  interesting work around you've got in mind.  i'll be interested to see if it works.

We shall see. Hate Apple, too restrictive and hate that you can't share anything. I live in the mountains, I know that Google maps makes it easy to use their maps offline, think the last update to Apple lets you use Google maps with Apple.......Finally. See what I mane by restrictive. Does Waze use offline maps?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »

yes, you can use offline maps with waze.

i like the 'social' aspect of it, not chatting and such, but if someone is ahead of you and they see a cop, they add a warning to it so everyone on that route sees it.  if you get to the spot, and they're gone, then you just tap on 'not there'.  also gives you heads up for junk in the road, construction zones, and traffic jams.  i like it, and they are continually updating it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:26:17 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.