Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guidance S&S 124 ISSUES  (Read 1918 times)

blknd

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

Guidance S&S 124 ISSUES
« on: November 26, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »

Whats up guys ,
   Last year i had a 124" installed , place i went one of my friends part owner. i always heard good things of him. The other owner is young but thinks he knows everything. So here is the story they had the bike for a couple months i received mid june last year maybe closer to the end. First time it got to 80deg ambient sitting at a light when taking off i noticed pre detonation . Well was suppose to be tuned on dyno i paid ridiculous money for the tune, i already had the power vision from the 110. So i told him something isn't right like the timing. He took it back for almost a week said he didn't hear it so i don't think it was addressed. I took back again said he put several tunes in it but i found out just got dyno and like a week of training great. I got bike back still doing it no matter what racing fuel i tried also. I also got it back with a dent in front fender $1000 fender pissed now even more and he would't own up to it. Then the engine got a leak i believe leaked into the primary or vice versa. got it back riding season over. This past winter i decided new sound system and somehow my security system was jacked engine won't crank. i got sick this summer lost 2 months of pay. He came out to pick bike up which was cool . Then hands me security module and ECM  says take your pick. I said security module makes sense right? Part is around $300 maybe a little bit more then $400 to program wtf local harley dealer says half hr $42 so i told my friend and he relayed so i got to pick up bike he won't take money says we are just done well ok you did me a favor. All the stuff he has said has been BS. I knew all along like the stock throttle body and injectors will work just fine . I asked why didn't you use my oil cooler he said won't work well i just got the bike back i will see if adapter will work . He also said to take lower pods of that why engine running hot  bike is designed with those pods . So i think an HPI throttle body and injector and hopfully my old oil cooler will work and a new dynotune by someone that knows what they are doing. I feel like the engine can produce good power yet . Anyone have a better idea on pre detonation?

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: Guidance S&S 124 ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 05:29:52 PM »

Well Okay.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

ParadigmGuy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »

Sounds like you need to take it to a different shop.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »

"Then hands me security module and ECM  says take your pick."

I don't understand what this means.   :nixweiss:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »

I’m totally confused!!! I just cannot follow what is going on !! One thing I did understand, Your supposed to be friend screwed you and sounds like he doesn’t know what he is doing..

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 05:02:22 AM »

"He also said to take lower pods off that why engine running hot" I would definitely find a new shop and a new friend   
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 11:45:01 AM »

where are you located?  I'm sure some on here can give you recommendations to shops that actually know what they are doing to get this running right.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 06:25:18 PM »

I have a hard time understanding your post. So friend screwed you? What does security module have to do with ECM? Engine leaked, what did this result in? You chose to update tunes when it still wouldn't run?
Confused as to what your post is wanting. How do you know it has Pre-detonation?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »

Correction, preignition is auto-ignition hot spot triggered, detonation is a spark triggered ignition that happens too fast and early.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »

its possible for it to be carbon build up. Even if its low mileage valves or rings let oil by and build up can happen quickly. Happened to me and another freind. Lots of detonation and youcant tune it out. Might be able to check with a bore scope

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 02:15:27 AM »

Not meant as a jab or insult, but ... Are you sure you weren't lugging it a bit? If not, I would try a good fuel system cleaner ... I've personally used Ring-Free by yes, Yamaha with great results in the past for removing carbon deposits. Should change your oil after running a tank of fuel with it.

Another good trick that won't cost you a dime for knocking off light carbon deposits is plain old water in a spray bottle that puts out a fine mist. Just yank your air filter and raise the throttle just off idle to keep from stumbling and spray some through. Pull your plugs before and after for comparison. If neither of these help, then you better see someone that knows how to tune it properly .... that seems to be few & far between these days. Never go to a dealer for a tune either ... MOST of them are flunkies that just load generic canned-tunes into your ecm and don't take the time or have the know-how like a reputable tuner does everyday for a living.

BTW ... raid the old lady's bathroom for an empty pump-spray bottle from hair spray or something ... they put out a real fine mist if you choose to try the water. I keep one in my saddlebag with water for those pesky bugs out on the road. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:19:38 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.