Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Lifter failure?  (Read 9529 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Lifter failure?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »

Once I got into it it did become quite easy.  Didn't see anything that stood out other then a small very small amount of slug sitting in the bottom.

There was a mention of the oil filter microns size, I'm using HIFLO FILTRO  171C that I believe to be 5 micon filter.

Harley recommends a 5 micron filter if I'm not mistaken.

J.D.

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 10:09:00 AM »

The MoCo filters are pretty good.  Media looks to be high quality.  K&N is supposedly good as well but I haven't cut one of them open and inspected the media myself.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 02:37:03 PM »

My cam/timing chain tensioner shoes are on a tour on your side of the pond. I've just been checking on the progress of the delivery.

So far they have visited,...Southeastern PA,   then Zieglervill PA,  off to Philadelphia,  a hop over to Cincinnati  OH,  now at the moment they're having a pit stop in Erlanger  KY.

Couldn't find just the shoes over here only could purchase the complete tensioner units at a much higher cost.
Removed the lifter from the old shoes gave them a clean up now they're already to put in the new shoes when they arrive.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:39:17 PM by longlast »

J.D.

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »

Those old tensioner shoes look perfectly fine to me.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 04:50:21 PM »

Those old tensioner shoes look perfectly fine to me.

I agree there're not bad but I thought what the heck I got it open i put new ones in.

There're really a lot better then I thought they'd be with almost 27,000 miles on them.
  I've read a lot of different opinions on the checking and issues with these shoes.  I'm not sure but I think it was an S&S video on changing the shoes and they recommend to check the shoes every 10,000 miles especially the inner cam chain tensioner they say that the inner shoe can be worse off then the outer. Not to assume the inner is good if the outer is good

Mine the inner one is in better shape than the outer one.

J.D.

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »

The old Morse chains ate up tensioners and need frequent inspection/replacement.  The full roller chains will wear down until the rollers are riding on the tensioners then pretty much stop wearing.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »

The MoCo filters are pretty good.  Media looks to be high quality.  K&N is supposedly good as well but I haven't cut one of them open and inspected the media myself.

I've been running with HIFLO filters for some time now and I've opened up the motor two times now and  it's just as clean this time as the first.
I took note of checking the cam cavity for any sludge building up in the corners or anywhere but it was very clean so I'm quite happy with the job HIFLO Filters are doing,....for me anyway

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »

These arrived today £50 delivered from the USA. Couldn't find just the shoes over here only the complete assemblies an extra £30

Anyone used these from Twin Power ?
 They have a few videos out but don't say anything about how the shoes durability is (what sort of mileage one can expect from them) they do say stock shoes should be checked every 10,000 miles but nothing on theirs.

Tomorrow  I should have it all buttoned up the rocker assembly's I did the other day then the test run.

I couldn't find any obvious signs/reason for the loud what I believe too be tappet (lifer) noise.
I'll be putting the stock lifters back in and run them and see if the ticking noise is gone or not if it is then I'll swap over (now I've  got the quick adjustable pushrods) and put the newish S&S lifters back and see if it returns.

I did a overhaul cleaning of the lifters. I've changed the oil "btw" the oil plug was completely clean of any particles on the magnet .

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »

Go back to post #5 Common problem and often times confused with lifter rattle.
HD-Dude works on these every day.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »

Go back to post #5 Common problem and often times confused with lifter rattle.
HD-Dude works on these every day.

Haven't forgotten about the post from HD-Dude since he mentioned it,......I've just not wanting to say it out loud  ;) :D

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »

So much is oriented to “performance”.  There are a lot of owners wanting to repair and maintain. This thread is very interesting

Priz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 08 CVO Road King FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 50 EL custom chop
    • CVO3: 76 FLH
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2019, 07:14:41 PM »

Ditto, watching this thread closely. Thanks for putting it out here for is. Pretty confident I will get S&S lifters, quicky pushrods and torrington bearings now when I'm ready to dig in. Im also told not to change the chains as they dont really stretch but deburr or polish the outside surface if the tensioners are wearing.
Problems cannot be solved using the same level of awareness that created them!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »

Do not polish the chains. They are fine as-is. Can create more problems polishing them.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2019, 10:51:53 PM »

Ditto, watching this thread closely. Thanks for putting it out here for is. Pretty confident I will get S&S lifters, quicky pushrods and torrington bearings now when I'm ready to dig in. Im also told not to change the chains as they dont really stretch but deburr or polish the outside surface if the tensioners are wearing.

Here's the difference between the stock bearings (right) and Torrington full compliment bearings (left)
Bearings can be pulled with a blind end puller and slide hammer.  The puller and bearing install kits are low cost on Ebay

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »

That's the motor back together.
  What a performance not having Quick adjustable pushrods just to check cam and timing chain tensioners (or bolt cutters)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.