Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Old (Classic) SERG Winter Upgrades  (Read 38228 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Old (Classic) SERG Winter Upgrades
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 08:20:48 PM »

What about the inner fairing?

:nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »

That Screamer is a beautiful machine, Twolane. I had a blue ’01 FLTRSEI2; although the 2000 red color scheme has always been my favorite. Milwaukee did a beautiful job with the various shades of red.   :2vrolijk_21:

I have never been a big fan of the early style “over the top” vent manifold. I believe that oil will pool in the banjo fitting area of the front head, creating pressure issues that may result in oil carryover to the air cleaner. If anyone makes a late style “direct vent” back plate for the M/M, I would recommend that you look at that. Otherwise you might consider a venting method that prevents the pooling of oil in the vent.

It looks like there may be a bit if a kink in the oil reservoir vent, between the camchest and the oil reservoir. I strongly recommend that you consider converting to the ’02 – ’06 reservoir vent. It is much less sensitive to higher oil levels in the reservoir, and it looks good in chrome. The link below speaks directly to the vent issues experienced with the early Twin Cam.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27625.msg499892#msg499892

djkak

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »

Great thread Don! Glad to see someone else is moding up a storm over the winter months. Nobody can beat Hoist's 85WG project but this is deeper than anything I have thought of doing (although the 6 speed still calls my name). It would appear you did much of the work yourself. If so, I am mightily impressed! Would never think of doing any motor work, just don't have the skills. I have to leave that to the dealer.

Keep us posted on how it all works out on the road.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 09:27:49 PM »

Don, great job on the mods. Very clean installs. When you get ready
to sell that one, I will be a buyer on it.

Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 09:39:17 PM »

Don,
Looks good, great job. :bigok:

You should have diamond cut and done some powdercoat while it was apart to really set it off. ;) ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Of course the thought crossed my mind Gary.  But it wasn't even a strong urge.  It would've meant a lot more down time waiting for parts to go to powder coaters and machinists.  It would've been cosmetic only as I've no desire to make this any more than it will be with the cams.  And I really didn't have a strong urge to give those same vendors one more opportunity to find something to screw up. 

Pretty happy with the trim she's in now.  Once Golden is done on the dyno it should run sweet too.  I'm quite content calling it good right there.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:33:54 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »

Outstanding, Don...  And such nice photography (and commentary), too!!   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Scott.  It did finish out nicely.  Even forgot some details.  Also put on some of those nice Motion Pro cable clamps on both frame tubes for the clutch cable and up top for the brake line.  Not sure if the clutch cable will need one yet.  Need to have the opportunity to run it around more to find out.  Also finally made up the quick disconnect crossover line and put on some chrome front wheel spacers. 

Most of it came apart one evening.  Then most of it went back together over a nice slow poor weather weekend.  Like yours was.  Just fun tinkering in the garage.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »

Of course the thought crossed my mind Gary.  But it wasn't even a strong urge.  It would've meant a lot more down time waiting for parts to go to powder coaters and machinists.  It would've been cosmetic only as I've no desire to make this any more than it will be with the cams.  And I really didn't have a strong urge to give those same vendors one more opportunity to find something to screw up. 

Pretty happy with the trim she's in now.  Once Golden is done on the dyno it should be run sweet too.  I'm quite content calling it good right there.
I understand that. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »

Great pics, and cool play-by-play Don! Should wake her up and be mighty snappy now! Good luck man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Thanks Howie.  And I'm willing to be optimistic that it will do what I'm hoping for.  Had a couple of long conversations with Mackie before ordering the cams.  Not after anything but an earlier torque curve and the slight improvements across the board the TB and cams will also provide.

The cams are quite similar to some Woods pieces that Jim recommended also.  Following closely on Jim's recommendations also adds to the confidence.

Looking forward to getting it over to Golden's sometime soon.  10 degrees right now with a low overnight headed to around zero.  So may not ride to John's in the morning...  :P  But will get it taken care pretty soon.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 09:48:15 PM »

What about the inner fairing?

:nixweiss:

That's the rest of the winter project Chip.  The painter doesn't want the inner until mid January.  If he's not ready to touch it until then I don't want it just setting around for someone to mess with and accidentally screw up.  So it's still up in the attic until they say they're ready.

I don't care when they do it.  It's another Saturday afternoon chore whenever it comes back.  As long as it's done by spring I'm a happy camper.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:34:57 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 09:54:37 PM »

That Screamer is a beautiful machine, Twolane. I had a blue ’01 FLTRSEI2; although the 2000 red color scheme has always been my favorite. Milwaukee did a beautiful job with the various shades of red.   :2vrolijk_21:

I have never been a big fan of the early style “over the top” vent manifold. I believe that oil will pool in the banjo fitting area of the front head, creating pressure issues that may result in oil carryover to the air cleaner. If anyone makes a late style “direct vent” back plate for the M/M, I would recommend that you look at that. Otherwise you might consider a venting method that prevents the pooling of oil in the vent.

It looks like there may be a bit if a kink in the oil reservoir vent, between the camchest and the oil reservoir. I strongly recommend that you consider converting to the ’02 – ’06 reservoir vent. It is much less sensitive to higher oil levels in the reservoir, and it looks good in chrome. The link below speaks directly to the vent issues experienced with the early Twin Cam.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27625.msg499892#msg499892

djkak

Thanks DJ.  There is a one piece backplate for the M&M bikes.  Got one on order.  It's on backorder though and I wasn't letting that keep me buttoning it up for now.

Another of the pieces that went on while the side of the tranny was off was a chrome oil fill.  All those have the hole for the later model vent line.  It's just plugged off when used on the earlier bikes. 

The kink that seems seen in the photo isn't the line itself but a slightly unusual look from the braiding surrounding the actual line.  I'd noticed that also and looked at it closely.  Was unaware of specific venting issues with the old routing though.  Knew it likely was changed for a reason just didn't know what it was.  With the hole in the oil spout it's a small thing to take out the plug and use the chrome line.  Thanks for the heads up.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »

That's the rest of the winter project Chip.  The painter doesn't want the inner until mid January.  If he's not ready to touch it until then I don't it just setting around for someone to mess with and accidentally screw up.  So it's still up in the attic until they say they're ready.

I don't care when they do it.  It's another Saturday afternoon chore whenever it comes back.  As long as it's done by spring I'm a happy camper.

Cool!
As you know, it's a world of difference.
When gonna get the bike to John to do his magic?

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »

Great thread Don! Glad to see someone else is moding up a storm over the winter months. Nobody can beat Hoist's 85WG project but this is deeper than anything I have thought of doing (although the 6 speed still calls my name). It would appear you did much of the work yourself. If so, I am mightily impressed! Would never think of doing any motor work, just don't have the skills. I have to leave that to the dealer.

Keep us posted on how it all works out on the road.

It was a nice project for several cold days.  And it was all done here.  Me, the dog occasionally wandering out and the radio in the garage.  Not a bad way to spend some time.  Fortunately have the tools at hand for the tranny and any top end engine work.  And a good friend lets me use his machine shop during the evenings for head work. 

I envy you a dealer you'd trust to tie in to a bike very heavily.  The stress would kill me if I had to turn it over. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:47 PM »

Don, great job on the mods. Very clean installs. When you get ready
to sell that one, I will be a buyer on it.

Mark

Thanks Mark.  I hope I don't (sell it).  It's been a tremendous amount of fun so far.  And it is a really nice ride out on the open road.  An all day cruiser if ever there was one.  Hopefully the efforts here will only make it more so.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 10:01:16 PM »

It was a nice project for several cold days.  And it was all done here.  Me, the dog occasionally wandering out and the radio in the garage.  Not a bad way to spend some time.  Fortunately have the tools at hand for the tranny and any top end engine work.  And a good friend lets me use his machine shop during the evenings for head work. 

I envy you a dealer you'd trust to tie in to a bike very heavily.  The stress would kill me if I had to turn it over. 

I hear that!  Relaxation at its best!   ;)  :2vrolijk_21:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 10:01:26 PM »

Cool!
As you know, it's a world of difference.
When gonna get the bike to John to do his magic?

The weather here has been a little poor Chip so I'd not even bugged John yet.  It's not as if I was going to be out on it anyway.  Sent him an email this afternoon asking when he'd have time to do it though.  So hopefully it'll be right away.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 24 queries.