Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Just noticed something on my Tour Pak Lid  (Read 6201 times)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Just noticed something on my Tour Pak Lid
« on: November 06, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »

I look at my Tour Pack nearly every day and wonder how, if this happened a few days ago, I am just noticing it today.

The area around where two of the luggage rack mounts attach to the tour pack top is "puckered".  It doesn't look like the paint is cracked, but the area just around right rear and left front post are looks almost melted.   :sauer005:

I going to try and get a good picture this evening and post it to this thread, but has anyone else experienced anything like this and what do you think my chances of a warranty claim are?

Forecast calls for rain, but I am definitely going to try to get it by the dealer tomorrow.

2014 CVO Limited.

Regards,

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Just noticed something on my Tour Pak Lid
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »

Have you overloaded the tour pack luggage rack, weight wise, greatly?  What about the inside....overloaded it to the point you have to force the lid closed to latch it?

They are not fiberglass.....they are a plastic but it could be breaking loose around the bolt holes from pressure. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »

Have you overloaded the tour pack luggage rack, weight wise, greatly?  What about the inside....overloaded it to the point you have to force the lid closed to latch it?

They are not fiberglass.....they are a plastic but it could be breaking loose around the bolt holes from pressure. :nixweiss:

hehehe....  One could think JC is auditioning for his post retirement job as a service manager at the local MOCO dealership!  LOL...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 06:50:58 PM »

Good questions.  I haven't had anything on the rack lately, and when I do its just an AWOL bag - nothing heavy at all.  I haven't had to cram the lid shut either.
What's weird, is I clean this all the time and just noticed it today and I haven't had anything on the rack for a while.  Plus, it's opposite corners - front to rear. 
The other thing that comes to mind is a recently completed service.  But what could they have done and why would they have even messed with the TP?

Here, let's try this link to some pics...  https://goo.gl/photos/1FhUHfcZpfc2h2Yk9

Thanks for your response.  Just befuddled at this point.

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »

hehehe....  One could think JC is auditioning for his post retirement job as a service manager at the local MOCO dealership!  LOL...

Trust me, I am ready for these questions from the SM !!!   LOL!

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »

Good questions.  I haven't had anything on the rack lately, and when I do its just an AWOL bag - nothing heavy at all.  I haven't had to cram the lid shut either.
What's weird, is I clean this all the time and just noticed it today and I haven't had anything on the rack for a while.  Plus, it's opposite corners - front to rear. 
The other thing that comes to mind is a recently completed service.  But what could they have done and why would they have even messed with the TP?

Here, let's try this link to some pics...  https://goo.gl/photos/1FhUHfcZpfc2h2Yk9

Thanks for your response.  Just befuddled at this point.

M
Looks like some contamination (moisture/etc.) has gotten under the paint from where the holes were drilled for the installation of the rack. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »

Yep....that's a different issue than what I experienced years ago.  But I agree with Gary.....that looks like a primer/paint issue.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »

I agree appears the paint is lifting. Seen this around gas caps in the past especially on repainted parts. Never seen a tourpack lid do it. My has some stress signs to it I noticed after seeing this. Being a used bike I can only assume it was overloaded on top or inside as JC suggests. They make a washer that is indented to fit them, would keep you from repairing.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »

Definitely looks like the paint is lifting.  I suggest you don't mess with it but rather have the service manager do it.  Most likely probing it with a pin will reveal a void in the paint film, like a blister.  It should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, especially since the MoCo installed the rack.  If it was a customer installed version, I imagine they would try to blame the customer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »

It looks like on one of the photo's there is a flag bracket?

If its not a paint bubble....perhaps the stress from drag created from the flag stretched the plastic then it flexed back?

There should be washers on the back side....have you checked to see if they are there?

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »

Good News and Bad News.

The Service writer agreed to have it fixed, no question asked.  Unfortunately, I am out of warranty.   :(  Forgot that I got that '14 in September of 13!  He is checking with the ESP, but not holding my breath because It is "cosmetic"  I maintain that the TP is inop due to structural weakness. 

I'll pop off the liner and have a look see to determine if is just paint or if there is some warping/weakness to the lid itself.  As for the flag mount, if that was the cause, I would figure the stress would be on the back two struts, not opposite.  Whatever, It's getting fixed one way or the other.

Cheers.

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 12:36:53 PM »

Then wouldn't he have said "Don't worry about it, they all do that"

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »

Damn this sucks. I have put some heavy loads on my rack and never had this happen. Now I have to go and really look at it. I don't wash my bike as much as I should.  It does look like the paint is lifted almost like the support pushed it back. I don't have a flag attachment.  I will be interested in what the dealer says. 

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »

Actually looks like it was pulled down extra tight and that the clear moved.   I have seen similiar on a fairing  when the windshield bolts have been over tightened and it causes the clear to do that.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »

Bummer- I stuff mine and use a pretty good bag on it. In fact I like the non-CVO rack better as my bag fits it better (Roller Decker) where on the CVO rack it has to be canted into a corner and stick over either front or back.
Will
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.