Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Warning! Bag came loose  (Read 8709 times)

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Warning! Bag came loose
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »

I guess it was about a month or so ago that I had the recall done for the clips that hold the bags on. Never had a problem with it. While out on a ride with my son, I opened the one bag to put his jacket in and on the bottom of the bag was the clip and the bag was just being held on by one.

I guess we need to continue to check these clips.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Re: Warning! Bag came loose
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:45:32 AM »

Yes, many of us have.
Search the forum and you'll find a few threads with fixes.
The cheapest fix is to not rely on Harley's "new and improved" quick clips but to make your own.
Go buy some bolts and some pre-threaded threaded clips nuts and a few large washers.  You'll fix the problem permanently for less than $5.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:41:11 AM »

Those are panel  clips.  Most part stores have them.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:00:53 AM »

If you don't want to try and source them yourself this company makes a great set up. More expensive, yes, but they give more security with a special bolt head that the average crook will not be able to steal your bags with a pair of pliers. He also makes a matching screw to secure your seat.http://brukus.com/brukus-products/saddlebagsecure-for-harleys-victory-cross-bikes-and-yamaha-stratoliners/
T-MAN 117 kit

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I like the way the bags are easy to remove for cleaning, but I guess  losing one would be worse, guess I should just bolt them on as suggested.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »

Been using Dzus fasteners for 40 years, Never had one come loose that was securely fastened... Unless someone forced it when it was not aligned and bent the securing cross wire or they didn't twist it all the way to Begin with. Otherwise if they twist and lock I honestly can not think they would come loose. I do see several places selling panel clips, that can be bought at Home Depot or a thousand hardware stores, for 4 times what they are worth.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I like the way the bags are easy to remove for cleaning, but I guess  losing one would be worse, guess I should just bolt them on as suggested.

They are harder to clean after picking it up off of the highway after it comes loose.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 09:36:41 PM »

They are harder to clean after picking it up off of the highway after it comes loose.
You are so right, funny thing is I never had a problem before having the recall done. Buying bolts tomorrow.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »

Buy yourself a set of about 10-12 self-sticking small firm pads, not foamy, but firm (like from Wally world), clean the bottom of the saddlebags with some lacquer thinner and let dry, then stick the pads to the bottom of both your saddlebags.  Every time you take them off after that, you won't have to set them on a towel to protect the paint on the bottom of the bags as they'll be resting on those pads.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »

The new HD Dzus fastners with more tension will probably work fine, i never had a problem with the originals.

However, I changed them out for the Lowes/Home Depot version, 10 dollars, and no more concerns.

Loosing a bag, the amp etc. is too expensive a proposition for this easy, inexpensive, secure fix.

2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 05:44:27 AM »

Yep i lost a bag off my 2015 Street Glide it was 2 weeks old. So annoying when this happens it took 2 months to get it completely  sorted thank god under warranty.

I biffed the factory pins and clips in the bin and purchased a security fixing system on Ebay for around $20.00.

The next thing i did was to drill two holes in the bottom of the bag and loop a large cable tie around the support bar, the bags will never come off now, and you cant see the cable ties, safe and sound.

Now on bumpy roads i don't even think about a bag coming off  :)
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 08:43:38 AM »

If one prefers the threaded clip and bolt approach, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up easy removal.  Instead of opting for one of those overpriced systems that require a special tool for removal, or even a standard hex head bolt that requires some kind of hand tool, you could always look at using thumb screws or even knobs.  Many hardware stores sell short studs up to 1/4-20 with hand wheels on the end, usually plastic but you can also find nicer and stronger metal ones as well (see photo below for an example).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »

I have not had this issue, but I did hear about the issue before.
thanks for the post.

I'm liking the idea from grc with the knurled thumb screw deal  :2vrolijk_21:
Better safe then sorry...
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Saddle Bag Came Off
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 12:55:25 PM »

Well yesterday while riding home my right saddle bag came off and went skidding across the interstate.  Luckily no one hit it, it didn't break up and I was able to get it real easy, just lots of road rash!   I was able to reconnect it and got home.

I did have the new pins installed due to the Harley recall so I was surprised this happened. I bought the u-nuts and bolts to install but had not got to it yet!

The price to replace the bag (top, bottom, latches, electrical) is ~$2K! 

I have contacted my dealer (and they are a good dealer) to see what Harley may do to help. They are calling Harley and will call me back. 

This is literally the first real scratch she has (a few marks on the fairing).  I am still a little shocked at the cost but not too much.

I was just in the saddlebag a few weeks ago to get my rain suit out and I don't recall it being loose but I didn't really look for it!

I just hate this happened!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »

If I remember all the details of that recall, they screwed it up more than once.  So if you had it performed as soon as the first recall came out, you may not have received the correct parts.  They started out by just trying to sort out what they thought were good pieces from the total number of retainers the supplier produced (more than one machine involved).  Relying on a visual sort by human beings rarely results in a great outcome, and ultimately there was more of a problem than what they originally indicated.

I'm amazed that Harley had ongoing problems with a simple Dzus style fastener that others have been using successfully for many decades, but on the other hand they've managed to take other seemingly foolproof stuff and cheapen it to the point of failure as well.  Some of us have been using those kinds of quarter turn fasteners with no problems for decades, so it's not the basic idea or design that's the problem.  Customers who want to be sure and who don't trust the MoCo to do the right thing when one of those very expensive bags flies off on the highway probably should look at this case as further reason to just fix it themselves.     

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.