Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Think I got a LEMON!!  (Read 1472 times)

MikeAE

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Think I got a LEMON!!
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:44:12 AM »

Picked up a 2009 CVO FLHTCUSE4 in December and have had nothing but trouble with the bike since.
The history goes like this:

- drastic oil leak - Ans. Dealership viewed this as a minor leak, but eventually replaced the gasket under the oil cooler/oil filter adapter.... As leak worsened.  
- seaping and leaking front shock - rebuilt shock after it had bottomed out hard and sprayed hydraulic fluid into the fairing
- Clutch safety switch failure - fault and error started upon picking bike up from the first or second service... Parts finally came in, but shop has been too busy to install
- starter failure - began starting rough and shop staff told to not worry about it until next service... Upon going to head to work, starter would not engage, pull in
- fly by wire throttle failure - driving along in 70 F weather, lost all throttle functions..... only what had at an idle
- running hot and rough - Screamin' Eagle air intake, pro tuner and Screamin' Eagle exhausts already been installed... was running at 310 F when I turned it off last Wednesday
Anybody else having the same headaches

The plot thickens... A recovery vehicle finally picked up my bike from my work site in the middle of the desert on June 2. The shop immediately reset the fault code and didn't seem to be able to diagnose the reason behind the "fly by wire" failure. Finally on June 11, I was advised that a loose connection may have been to blame for this failure. The connection was cleaned and secured and the bike was released to me around 4 p.m. While just on the outskirts of Dubai, after slowing for traffic, all throttle control was lost again. This being the first ride, not even 150 kms from receiving the unit back from the dealership. So now it sits in the Dubai dealership hoping that someone there can solve the problem of this "waste of money"!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:21:57 AM by MikeAE »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: Think I got a LEMON!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:20:37 AM »

Picked up a 2009 CVO FLHTCUSE4 in December and have had nothing but trouble with the bike since.

- drastic oil leak- what was the nature of the leak?
- seaping and leaking front shock did the dealer fix it?
- Clutch safety switch failure  did you for any reason open the left{clutch} side switch housing
- starter failurehave seen and heard of issues with starter
- fly by wire throttle failurewas it total failure and did dealer fix
- running hot and roughif its real hot it will run rough, you need to upgrade the exhausr, A/C and get a tune on it

you need to go to the new members section and introduce yourself. like where you live, riding history, stuff like that so when you ask a q we have some critical info to help.
also why not add what kind of bikes you have in your signature, helps as a reference
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:35:17 AM »

Have you:

a. Gotten it wet?
b. Been shifting it wrong?
c. Put anything besides Syn3 in it?
d. Let it idle more than a few seconds?
e. Been so audacious to expect a $30K+ motorcycle to not have the kind of problems you've been having?

Sorry to hear of all your tribulations, but since the 110 came out it has become pretty common and the MOCO doesn't seem to have much interest in fixing things since the engine isn't long for this world (individually or overall).   If they have changed anything they aren't talking about it or they'd have to admit to problems with the first ones.

If there is a lesson in all of this is that I'd not be in too much of a rush to get one of the new models when they introduce a different engine.  I made the mistake of thinking an enlargement of an existing one should be okay and bought an '07.  

You may have a lemon, but unfortunately if your state has a law covering it you'll have to show that they are unable to repair a particular problem, and so far they've been able to band-aid things through the warranty period.

Excuse my negative attitude this morning, but I don't have a lot of admiration for HD's products or service lately.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »

Got 1000 miles on mine O problems. Love it. I did buy the extended warranty for the first time in my life.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:55:23 AM »

Have you:

a. Gotten it wet?
b. Been shifting it wrong?
c. Put anything besides Syn3 in it?
d. Let it idle more than a few seconds?
e. Been so audacious to expect a $30K+ motorcycle to not have the kind of problems you've been having?

Sorry to hear of all your tribulations, but since the 110 came out it has become pretty common and the MOCO doesn't seem to have much interest in fixing things since the engine isn't long for this world (individually or overall).   If they have changed anything they aren't talking about it or they'd have to admit to problems with the first ones.

If there is a lesson in all of this is that I'd not be in too much of a rush to get one of the new models when they introduce a different engine.  I made the mistake of thinking an enlargement of an existing one should be okay and bought an '07.  

You may have a lemon, but unfortunately if your state has a law covering it you'll have to show that they are unable to repair a particular problem, and so far they've been able to band-aid things through the warranty period.

Excuse my negative attitude this morning, but I don't have a lot of admiration for HD's products or service lately.
  Given his location (UAE) the odds the bike got wet are pretty slim unless he rode it into the Gulf.  :D  Also over there don't they just cut the offending part off?  :o  I don't understand why the concern about using anything other than Syn3?  Most of us change to something else after the initial oil change anyhow, so it shouldn't make any difference.  Letting it idle more than a few seconds shouldn't be a problem either as long as you're not sitting there and letting it melt down. I wouldn't think he's being audacious in expressing his concern about some of the problems he's experienced with his new bike.  Give the dealer the chance to rectify the problems.  In the meantime, cheer up a little.  We can all find fault with our bikes if we look hard enough, but I for one am pretty damn proud of mine and the MoCo in general.  It's all a matter of personal preference and there are plenty of other manufacturers out there to choose from if you are so jaded and dissatisfied with yours.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:11:17 AM by brhulen »
Brett in AK

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »

Given his location (UAE) the odds the bike got wet are pretty slim unless he rode it into the Gulf.  :D  Also over there don't they just cut the offending part off?  :o  I don't understand why the concern about using anything other than Syn3?  Most of us change to something else after the initial oil change anyhow, so it shouldn't make any difference.  Letting it idle more than a few seconds shouldn't be a problem either as long as you're not sitting there and letting it melt down. I wouldn't think he's being audacious in expressing his concern about some of the problems he's experienced with his new bike.  Give the dealer the chance to rectify the problems.  In the meantime, cheer up a little.  We can all find fault with our bikes if we look hard enough, but I for one am pretty damn proud of mine and the MoCo in general.  It's all a matter of personal preference and there are plenty of other manufacturers out there to choose from if you are so jaded and dissatisfied with yours.   

Those are all excuses I've heard dealers offer for the problems these have.   The lastest one - probably shouldn't get it wet - was almost as good as the shifting one.  And the MOCO has for years tried to tell or intimidate people that their products are the only thing that should be used or it will blow up.  I've ridden Harleys for thirty years, including an early seventies iron Sportster, and have two at the moment.  The way they are treating people with what are supposed to be their 'elite' bikes is good reason why the company is tanking.  Deny, deny, deny, band-aid if you complain enough.  Before long in addition to my direct funding I'll likely be paying bail-out money to keep them afloat.  If they go under they have only themselves to blame.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »

...I for one am pretty damn proud of mine and the MoCo in general.  It's all a matter of personal preference and there are plenty of other manufacturers out there to choose from if you are so jaded and dissatisfied with yours.   

Well said!
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:45:10 PM »

Hell of a first post! And you got some answers to match!

I, for one, would be interested in the experience your dealer has with a 110 CVO bike? At the temperatures you might get over there, this could unfortunately be the wrong bike to run. The CVO Ultra's are more sensitive to heat, than any other model in the entire H-D model line up. Mine has been running at approx. 275F (measured by dipstick) at the most, which is acceptable. Maybe taking the lowers off would help somewhat.

Hope you get the problems sorted out.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:21:59 AM »

- drastic oil leak - Ans. Dealership viewed this as a minor leak, but eventually replaced the gasket under the oil cooler/oil filter adapter.... As leak worsened. 
- seaping and leaking front shock - rebuilt shock after it had bottomed out hard and sprayed hydraulic fluid into the fairing
- Clutch safety switch failure - fault and error started upon picking bike up from the first or second service... Parts finally came in, but shop has been too busy to install
- starter failure - began starting rough and shop staff told to not worry about it until next service... Upon going to head to work, starter would not engage, pull in
- fly by wire throttle failure - driving along in 70 F weather, lost all throttle functions..... only what had at an idle
- running hot and rough - Screamin' Eagle air intake, pro tuner and Screamin' Eagle exhausts already been installed... was running at 310 F when I turned it off last Wednesday

Wow!  It sounds like you have had your share of problems.  The only one that we have in common is the starter failure.  I think it was heading the same direction once again, until I convinced the dealer that it was the Automatic Compression Releases that were causing the starting problem.  Other than that, I had to make several trips to get a GPS module that actually worked.  From all the items you have had wrong, I tend to agree with you that you got a lemon.  You've had some major issues.  As for the high running temperature, what was actually done with the pro tuner?  Did you have it dynotuned?  I have no idea what kind of market there is for motorcycles in your area of the world, or whether they have competent technicians that know how to tune properly or not.  I would certainly think that Harley should have a pretty darn good base map set up for Screamin Eagle exhaust, that should be about right on, and should only need minor adjustments.  At least that would seem logical.

There are a good many 09 SEUC owners on this forum, and I don't recall seeing some of the problems you are having being a problem on even one other bike on here.  It's hard to imagine that they're all happening on one bike.  Maybe someone with a bad hangover built yours.  I'm real sorry to hear about all the problems, and hopefully they will get it all fixed and you won't have anything else go wrong for quite a while.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 26 queries.