Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baker DD6 gearset install  (Read 5570 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Baker DD6 gearset install
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:58:54 PM »

This is from my install of the Baker DD6 last year.

The install. I've never been inside a transmission of any sort before two days ago. The tear down was straight forward. I had the inner and outer primary off in less than a half hour. Removing the pipes proved to be a real chore. I spent more time trying to get to one nut than any other part of the disassembly. The removal of the gear set was not terribly hard. Actually I was surprised at how easy it comes apart. I flushed the case out real well and had it ready for the new gear set when it arrived.

UPS showed up early for once and I was able jump right into the installation. The DD6 comes with assembly instructions however it does make several references to the HD service manual. A couple of things that required some care were the installation of the main gear through the case bearing. I could see myself purchasing or building a tool for this. Next was the shifter forks as far as paying attention. While not hard to install it took me a moment to understand where they went and how they worked. The gear set is straight forward as it's pre-assembled and all I had to do was slide it in the case. The DD6 kit comes with a new shift drum adjuster. I've adjusted this before (known as the third gear adjustment) but was never sure what it was doing. With the top cover still off I could see how it worked and it's purpose. The rest of the assembly was straight forward as if you were installing an exhaust system or a final drive belt.

The kit is complete for the most part. I purchased a few parts that were not in the kit. One was the primary gasket and the other was a transmission seal. I don't understand why it didn't come with a new seal as it came with a new bearing! There was a small quad seal that goes on the main shaft also. The last gasket was for the oil fill. You have to remove the filler tube in order to get the old gear set out so....

While installing the gear set I also installed the reduced effort clutch and automatic primary chain adjuster. The adjuster fit tight with the 28 tooth compensating sprocket. I will have to keep an eye on this to make sure it is not to tight. I installed the required speedometer calibration box also. At first I had no speedometer at all. I later determined that I hadn't installed the supplied speedometer sensor spacer. In not doing so I gouged the sensor as it was against the gears. I robbed the sensor off of my Budget Build and it worked just fine. A few trips up and down the street with my GPS on allowed me to dial in my speedometer. It may not be dead on correct but it sure is close +/- 1 mph.

I took the bike out this morning for a quick 125 mile ride to make sure everything was doing as it was suppose to. The drop in RPM is what I expected, I like it. I believe At 80 MPH I'm cruising at around 3200 RPM. The Direct Drive 6th gear makes it so there is plenty of power with just a turn of the wrist. You guys with the 103's would never have to shift when passing or pulling a hill!

This was not a couple hundred dollar bolt on but it appears to be worth the price. For me I did the work myself which helped me have a better understanding of how things work.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

Re: Baker DD6 gearset install
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »

Just getting started. All opened up.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:00:22 PM »

Making my way in.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »

Getting there.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 03:01:41 PM »

Gear set removed and the case all cleaned out.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »

From the top.

2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 03:05:26 PM »

I got so involved with the installation I forgot to take pictures of the actual gearset install. I wanted to show the automatic tensioner and how it fit with the larger sprocket. I'll snap a few photos when I go in to change the belt, tire and swing arm bushings.

Buttoned back up with a 28 tooth compensating sprocket, SE automatic chain adjuster and HD reduced effort clutch.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »

I installed a Jims side cover along with a LCD oil temp gauge with fill level.

2023 CVO Road Glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »

that was cool, thanks for the step by step....thinking about it myself
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:14:59 PM »

This is from my install of the Baker DD6 last year.....A couple of things that required some care were the installation of the main gear through the case bearing. I could see myself purchasing or building a tool for this....

How did you meet this challenge without the tool?

djkak

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »

I adapted a gear puller I have here and a dead blow hammer. :orange:
2023 CVO Road Glide

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 11:31:58 PM »

How do you like the Baker DD6 and what made you decide this gearset over the Screamin Eagle 6? Also I noticed in your email that you plan on changing the bushings in the swingarm. Do you plan on going to the 07 (new and improved) swingarm.

Frank
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 06:54:28 AM »

Here is what I found when I initially compared Baker to the SE version from my point of view.

The SE version made by Jim's had a whine to it. When I called Jim's and asked about this I was told that the gear sets were made to HD's specs not to what Jim's runs their 6 speed specs at.

The SE version required case "clearancing" in order for it to fit.

Tha Baker sticks out 3/4" farther than the SE.

The SE version did not need a speedo recalibration box where the Baker did. Baker included this in their kit.

The SE version cost less.

The SE version is a true OD 6 speed where as the Baker calls theirs an effective OD 6 speed. Same results different way of getting there.

The Baker is a Direct Drive 6 speed where as the the SE isn't.

The last one alone was enough for me. I like the direct drive 6th as I don't have to be doing a hundred to click into 6th. The Baker gear set came with everything but a primary gasket. Not that the SE/Jim's version is bad but I questioned the overall quality of the components after speaking with Jim's. This put doubt in my head. Baker doesn't sell junk and are proud of what they sell. That is not saying that they never have failures however I have seen first hand them tear a display bike apart at an event for a part. If I were on a budget I'd run the SE version and save a few pennies as I have not heard of wide spread failures of the SE version. For me the Direct Drive made the most sense.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 06:57:04 AM »

I changed the bushings over to Sta-Bo's and really like them. I did not follow the instructions given to me by Kevin at Sta-Bo so I had some vibration in the bike afterwords. A little over 700 miles later and the bushings have settled in. A worth while investment for me. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide

FrankD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 07:22:43 AM »

Puzzled,

Thanks for your input. I will be looking into a Baker DD6 soon. I had a Jim's close ratio 5 speed in my Softail and I liked the way it shifted and the change in the ratio got the bike moving off the line much better than the stock 5 speed.

Thanks
Frank
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ah, but one, one of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.