Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Shutgun Shock installation  (Read 21991 times)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Shutgun Shock installation
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »

Thanks Cam.  I've relocated my coil to where the horn was on my Night Train, so I doubt the preferred location would work.  I'll have to call Shotgun about that I suppose.

The best you've had is the best you know.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Shotgun Shock installation
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:52 AM »

Dave,

With my buddy's bike squeezed next to mine in the garage it's hard for me to get a clear view or take a picture for now. I will do so as soon as I am able to move one of the bikes out. I looked as closely as I could to see any scratches/marks on the chrome and saw none. I also ran my finger along the edge of the guard to see if I could feel any rough spots that would point out it had made contact with the guard. It was smooth.

Cam

Thanks Cam. A photo would be good when you can. I only rode it once slammed straight after I installed and I've now checked along the edge of the guard too and the paint is cracked unfortunately. Not too sure what I can do with that. Probably should get onto it sooner than later before it rusts and paint starts to peel.
Dave

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Shotgun Shock installation
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 04:28:44 AM »

The belt guard is rubber mounted and has some play.  I would bet that when it was loosened to add that tag you have on there, it was tightened back a little higher.  Loosen all the bolts, pull the guard lower, and retighten them.  That should fix the issue.

Thanks 24v, I tried what you suggested but its a no go. I could cut out and re-chrome the belt guard but then again it probably won't be that low much. If not ever.
Dave

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »

As promised. Me on my bike in slammed mode. Hope this helps.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »

My shock is ordered.  JD's sending a wiring extension to mount the switches in the console.

Took a spin Sunday and got the snot beaten out of me by the torn-up roads....Can't wait to install this sucker.
The best you've had is the best you know.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »

My shock is ordered.  JD's sending a wiring extension to mount the switches in the console.

Took a spin Sunday and got the snot beaten out of me by the torn-up roads....Can't wait to install this sucker.

That's the best thing about the shocks. I don't really care about the look that much anymore. The ride is so much better now. I've completely forgotten the fact that I'm riding a 'softail'. Now I try and avoid potholes to save the tires rather than my spine and kidneys!

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »

As promised. Me on my bike in slammed mode. Hope this helps.

Thanks Cam. Can't see exactly what your gap is but it looks like around half inch. Mine actually touches the belt guard when slammed. Won't be riding around slammed but more concerned if I've done something wrong when installing. Any ideas?
Cheers, Dave.

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »

It has to be your belt guard is misaligned.  There is no way to lower the bike further by accident.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »

It is around 1/2" with me sitting on it (I'm 200+ lbs - let's leave it at that!!!). It might mean that the shock you got compresses more than the one on my bike. If that's the case then perhaps putting spacers on the bolts might help solve the problem.

disclaimer: I am less mechanically inclined and knowledgeable than any one you have met in the past or might meet in the future (software guy here) so other folks need to chime in. But based on what I learned while installing the shock I would think spacers would be ok to put on the bolts, hence limiting how far the bike is slammed even in the lowest settings.

I would also call the vendor to see what they suggest.

Cam

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »

It has to be your belt guard is misaligned.  There is no way to lower the bike further by accident.
There is a way to see if the belt guard is the problem by looking at the swing arm. If it's the belt guard, the swing arm angle/location should look similar to the way it is on my bike.

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »

It is around 1/2" with me sitting on it (I'm 200+ lbs - let's leave it at that!!!). It might mean that the shock you got compresses more than the one on my bike. If that's the case then perhaps putting spacers on the bolts might help solve the problem.

disclaimer: I am less mechanically inclined and knowledgeable than any one you have met in the past or might meet in the future (software guy here) so other folks need to chime in. But based on what I learned while installing the shock I would think spacers would be ok to put on the bolts, hence limiting how far the bike is slammed even in the lowest settings.

I would also call the vendor to see what they suggest.

Cam
This is 100% impossible.  First, when the bike is lowered, the shock is extended, not compressed.  Second, there is a rubber bumper that sits between the frame and the swing arm that decides how low the bike goes.  If this was missing, the bike would be much lower.

disclaimer: I have only installed 4 shotgun shock setups at this point. ;)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

This is 100% impossible.  First, when the bike is lowered, the shock is extended, not compressed.  Second, there is a rubber bumper that sits between the frame and the swing arm that decides how low the bike goes.  If this was missing, the bike would be much lower.

disclaimer: I have only installed 4 shotgun shock setups at this point. ;)

Well, I did put the disclaimer there!!  :-[

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »

If you look at his image vs the one you posted you can see that his belt guard is sitting higher than yours is in relation to the rear pulley.

CVOSE Breakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 02:17:31 AM »

Thanks for your opinions and help guys.

Guard is not higher, its just the angle of the photo. The guard sits parallel around 1/4 inch higher than the belt height. So it cannot be lowered. Here are a few more photos to look at just in case you see something I haven't. And the bum stop is the bum stop so shimming or adding washers/spacers won't work either.

The only thing I can work out is if slammed is on the bum stop for mine, then yours Cam either doesn't have the travel mine does and your swing arm does not touch the stop, or, the bum stops are different sizes. No way, am I going crazy here???

JD said to adjust the belt guard height too. The belt guard on this bike is not adjustable. He also said all the shocks are the same for the Breakout.

This is ridiculous. I need medicine!!!

Dave.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »

Dave,

From the position of the swing arm on your bike it has 'swung' more than my bike at the pivot point it looks like. Of course it could be the angle/lens. Is there any other BO with this shock for comparison? Maybe I'm just lucky and other folks have the same problem you do.

Cam
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 20 queries.