Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Wreck involving tractor-trailer on 'The Dragon' kills motorcyclist  (Read 5700 times)

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Re: Wreck involving tractor-trailer on 'The Dragon' kills motorcyclist
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »

What would work is if the State Troopers that are always patrolling the area would cite these guys for driving left of center. Moving violations on CDLs are frowned upon highly by transport companies. I know, the problem would be where would they stop them at.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 01:06:22 PM »

What would work is if the State Troopers that are always patrolling the area would cite these guys for driving left of center. Moving violations on CDLs are frowned upon highly by transport companies. I know, the problem would be where would they stop them at.

you brought a good point  :2vrolijk_21:,, and what a hell of a good cash cow the would bring for the state.   ???

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »

Those big trucks really should not be on that road.  It's just too sad for that poor biker that lost his life over some guy that should have used better sense. Those truckers have to know that those roads cannot accommodate such a large vehicle.   >:(
The warning signs for Trucks are not at all small, or hard to see.  You heading in from the TN side would have to be blind to miss the signs.  Very bright yellow with black letters, I bet the letters are close to if not 12" tall or more.

I agree with the poster about the police should cite them from crossing the double yellow.  Sure they may have to wait ten or more miles to safely stop them.

I know in CO many years ago I was cited for my RV trailer tire crossing the double yellow. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

mark

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 09:57:01 PM »

why in the world wouldn't TN and NC ban 18 wheelers from the Dragon?  It's obvious they can't maneuver on that piece of road w/o taking up the opposite lane...come on bureaucrats...you can ban mo-peds and hitchhikers from the interstate, but not trucks from a road that doesn't accommodate them.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »

why in the world wouldn't TN and NC ban 18 wheelers from the Dragon?  It's obvious they can't maneuver on that piece of road w/o taking up the opposite lane...come on bureaucrats...you can ban mo-peds and hitchhikers from the interstate, but not trucks from a road that doesn't accommodate them.
I have no knowledge about this but since it is a US highway I think the Feds would be the arbiter of this.  Wonder if DOT has authority to do anything.  Probably take an act of congress, lol.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »

Probably take an act of congress, lol.

Well then it will never get done right. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »

Interstates are governed by the FEDs, the Feds have no say in what goes on this state owned highway. I do know in Indiana some situations for driving left of center can also get you a wreckless driving citation which is a suspension of driving privileges. Until some type of class action lawsuit againest these trucking companies is filed nothing will happen. The State Police does not have the man power to post a Trooper there 24/7. As a rule most Truckers are pretty cautious to others on the roads but just like anything you have that select few that know more than others and think they can get by with it or they got by with it before why not keep doing it until they get caught. The problem is they don't get caught until some one gets hurt, and until some one charges one of these guys with a criminal recklessness charge they will continue.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »

There are Garmins out there for truckers, with truck routes and such.  they just need to use them

Perhaps but they still direct them to the shortest route by time and 129 comes up.

At least both versions of the GPS should issue a warning when that road
is selected about it's difficulty (impossibility) for 18 wheel trucks...
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »

They have no business on The Dragon.  It's far too narrow and twisty.  If a vehicle cannot stay in its lane, take another route.  It should be common knowledge for any trucker driving in the Southeastern US.  I drove rigs years ago, and we were warned of load limited and inadequate roads.  I believe it should be restricted by weight and length and marked clearly at both ends.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

Tennessee could place cameras that would photograph the registration plates of these violators, send the citation to the Trucking company with a very large fine. They would pay for themselves in a very short time and they could free up the manpower of the troopers having to patrol this area so much. This would solve several problems.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.