Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hit a dog yesterday  (Read 1346 times)

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
Hit a dog yesterday
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »

I hit a dog yesterday. I wasn't speeding, just noodling along through town, when a dog ran out in front of me. I didn't see it coming because the dog darted out from in front of a car. It happened so fast, there was nothing I could do, not even hit the brakes. It was a medium sized dog, maybe 50-60 lbs and I nailed it pretty good at about 30-35 mph. When I looked in my mirror, it was still spinning in the road from the impact. Once it stopped spinning, it went into a seizure that didn't last too long. There was no blood but I did knock some sh*t out of the poor animal and it was drooling a lot. \I pulled over to the curb to help, both physically and emotionally, the two older, matronly sisters who were walking the dog (no leash). They were pretty shook up and unable to lift the dog. One of the women, not the dog's owner, said that the dog was her sister's pride and joy. I picked up the wounded, in shock, dog and put it into their car so they could seek medical help. I don't know the dog's status because I didn't think to get a phone number. Yeah... it was their fault for not having the dog on a leash but I felt awful and really sad for both the dog and the women.

Sh*t happens real fast on a motorcycle; you can never let your guard down. If you own a dog, keep it on a leash.

chicagobulldog

Re: Hit a dog yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:36:15 PM »

I'm glad you are ok. Dog's is man's best friend but replaceable, man is not. Keep the rubber side down.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:35 AM »

Bummer but glad you kept upright. You're right, sometimes there's just nothing you can do because it happens so quick. 

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:02:53 AM »

Gad to hear you are ok, you must have caught him pretty square not to go down. Hate to say it but good on you for that anyway.

Chit happens too too fast on a scoot. Sorry for the dog....but leased dogs are the best dogs.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:06:37 AM »

Glad you made it out OK. Letting a dog run free is never a good thing.
Bill

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:16:09 AM »

Glad to hear you didn't go down and you are not hurt. Hope the dog is doing OK, but your life is the most important thing.

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

... you must have caught him pretty square not to go down....

I'm amazed I didn't hit the asphalt. All I could do was say, "oh chit, here we go." At least I had enough time to brace myself and prepare to react to the way the bike moved after impact. Might have been a different story if I didn't see the dog at all before I nailed it. I was probably just beginning to apply the brakes when I hit the dog so I think I was pretty much ready for whatever was coming my way.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »

Blazo - glad to hear you're okay! As an owner of a few dogs, I think the owners should be sued for not having their dog on a leash. You could have been seriously injured. Hope your bike wasn't hurt. I feel for the dog as well but the stupid owners should be shot!

KarlG

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2003 FLHRSEI (gone)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:14:09 PM »

when an animal appears as a sudden hazard like that, nothing you do will improve the situation and will possibly cost you your life if you attempt to swerve and also hit the brakes at the same time in panic or hit the animal leaned over. You feel bad, but considering the outcome, it could have been much worse for you. The dog, had an irresponsible owner. Pity for the dog.
Current:
2010 FLHTCUSE5
2008 Ducati 1098S
2005 BMW K1200S

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »

Always bad......but, in this case the outcome was as good as could be expected.  It is amazing how well a heavy Harley will deal with even a big dog if you hit it straight on and do not attempt to swerve.  That's what usually causes the bike to trip up.  I've hit a couple over my many years of riding and it's always a bummer.  :(  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »

Man your right chit does happen fast on a bike, but the important thing is your safe. I bet it was just a little bit hard to get right back on. Good job with keeping your bike under control. Ride safe

Chris ;D
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »

Glad it turned out ok, but
A friend of mine came across a similar scene and went to help the dog, it ripped his arm up 100 plus stiches.  I will never try to help a wounded animal unless it is to putt it down. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »

happened to my wife on the Natchez Trace Pkwy, killed the dog, near totalled the bike, wife had 7 broken ribs and a punctured lung, all she kept thinking about was the dog.
she stayed off the bike for 7 months, got pissed at a friend of mine for offering to consign it for her, she said F*#k Panhead Phil, get my bike ready, we're going to Myrtle Beach. Damn she's a keeper.
Glad you made it through unskathed
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 07:42:45 PM »

Glad it turned out ok, but
A friend of mine came across a similar scene and went to help the dog, it ripped his arm up 100 plus stiches.  I will never try to help a wounded animal unless it is to putt it down. 

I was afraid something like that might happen. I was really leery picking up the dog but I think it was in shock and pretty f*cked up. I don't think the pooch was capable, at that point, of doing any damage to me.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.