Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question for those with a Fat Cat Ghost pipe  (Read 2082 times)

Mysanity2

• Junior CVO Member
Question for those with a Fat Cat Ghost pipe
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »

I have the Fat Cat 2-1 w/ghost pipe on a 06 Ultra. The top mounting tab of the ghost pipe (directly behind the rear cylinder) cracked. I found out there is supposed to be a rubber bushing between the bracket on the starter an the top mounting tab on the pipe. My question is for those that have the ghost pipe...does yours have this rubber bushing? I'm asking this because I can't see how there is any room for the bushing because there is no space between the OEM starter bracket and the tab on the pipe. I have called D&D tech support and they are very helpful, but they say the bushing has to be in there to prevent this from happening again. Any pics of your install would be appreciated.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Question for those with a Fat Cat Ghost pipe
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »

Sorry you have the breakage to contend with.  Also that I don't have an image or other help to offer.  Just thinking out loud that with the FatCats on both bikes here I'm glad I was never tempted by the ghost pipe.  Made the swap from nearly a lifetime of true duals usage.  So it's not as if didn't give it some thought.  In the end just couldn't get my head around precisely this issue.  Simply too lazy to deal with maintenance, service or even simply regularly cleaning and polishing parts that do absolutely nothing but add weight.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:46:40 AM »

I have the Fat Cat 2-1 w/ghost pipe on a 06 Ultra. The top mounting tab of the ghost pipe (directly behind the rear cylinder) cracked. I found out there is supposed to be a rubber bushing between the bracket on the starter an the top mounting tab on the pipe. My question is for those that have the ghost pipe...does yours have this rubber bushing? I'm asking this because I can't see how there is any room for the bushing because there is no space between the OEM starter bracket and the tab on the pipe. I have called D&D tech support and they are very helpful, but they say the bushing has to be in there to prevent this from happening again. Any pics of your install would be appreciated.

I have the ghost on my 09, but then mine is a different setup than yours.  I have no bushings where my bracket mounts, but then again, yours is a different setup than mine...so my comment is of no help whatsoever.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »

Nope, no bushing my my '07 with the ghost pipe.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:18 AM »

I'm not fully understanding something here.  If D&D supplies a rubber bushing with the ghost pipe, and I would assume they would have to since the bikes didn't come with one from the MoCo, then they should be able to supply not only the bushing but the instructions on how to install it as well.  Did they offer to send those items to you?  If not, and they are just using this story to avoid responsibility, shame on them.  I remember some similar issues with Rinehardt pipes several years back, and some folks got the same kind of response from Bub about using a rubber washer.  First, a plain ol' rubber washer does nothing to eliminate the stress on the bracket unless you leave the bolt loose.  A proper isolation type bushing, similar to a motor mount with bonded in studs, would probably help but then the pipe or bike bracket would have to be designed to allow for installation of such a part. 

Jerry   :confused5:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mysanity2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »

I'm not fully understanding something here.  If D&D supplies a rubber bushing with the ghost pipe, and I would assume they would have to since the bikes didn't come with one from the MoCo, then they should be able to supply not only the bushing but the instructions on how to install it as well.  Did they offer to send those items to you?  If not, and they are just using this story to avoid responsibility, shame on them.  I remember some similar issues with Rinehardt pipes several years back, and some folks got the same kind of response from Bub about using a rubber washer.  First, a plain ol' rubber washer does nothing to eliminate the stress on the bracket unless you leave the bolt loose.  A proper isolation type bushing, similar to a motor mount with bonded in studs, would probably help but then the pipe or bike bracket would have to be designed to allow for installation of such a part. 

Jerry   :confused5:

I was told by tech support that there were no instructions available for the ghost pipe install. Still trying to figure a way to get the bushing in there. The only thing I could think of is maybe my bracket that mounts to the starter is not the OEM bracket. The bracket on mine is flat...meaning it's a straight shot from where is mounts on the starter to where is bolts to the pipes tab with no bends. Does anyone know if this is what the stock bracket looks like on an 06'?

RGS1966

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »

Im having the same problem does anyone know where the large bolt goes?  I am having a hard time thinking this pipe only attaches in the rear and one bolt in the front at the transmission bracket.
RGS

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »

Photo of my '07.

IBA member # 45520

Mysanity2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 08:13:29 AM »

Photo of my '07.

The bracket mounted to the starter is different than my 06', but it looks like yours has no rubber bushing between the pipes tab and the bracket. Is that correct?

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »

The bracket mounted to the starter is different than my 06', but it looks like yours has no rubber bushing between the pipes tab and the bracket. Is that correct?

None that I can see.

IBA member # 45520

Mysanity2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »

None that I can see.

Thanks for checking...I guess I'll have to fabricate a replacement bracket that would accommodate the rubber bushing. Still baffled as to why D&D says it should fit there but know one seems to have a bushing installed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »

Thanks for checking...I guess I'll have to fabricate a replacement bracket that would accommodate the rubber bushing. Still baffled as to why D&D says it should fit there but know one seems to have a bushing installed.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, if there is supposed to be some sort of magical bushing then the folks at D&D should be able to supply it, either at no charge or they can sell it to you.  Since they didn't offer to do either, as best I can determine, it appears someone at D&D is trying to feed you some BS.

You might want to try talking to someone a little higher on the food chain at D&D, or at least a different "customer service" representative.  At least get a definite description of this so-called bushing and an answer as to how you can acquire one.  I think you will find that the whole story starts to fall apart.  If they suggest just adding a rubber washer between the two brackets, that's a waste of time.  Excuse my lack of drawing skill, but the attachment represents a solution that would provide some isolation.  The brackets need to be designed properly for something like this to work, however.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mysanity2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »

Here is a pic of the rubber bushing D&D sent me. The rubber portion is approx 1"L x 1"W. I appreciate everyone's replies and I'll just have to figure out something that will work. GRC...that is a great idea you designed. On my bike, I don't think there is enough space for any type of bushing between the pipe bracket and the bracket off the starter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:41:29 PM by Mysanity2 »

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.