CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Why do we not have anti-lock brakes?

(1/5) > >>

JCZ:
Got the call today.  A lady friend of mine was coming back from Street Vibrations, up in Reno.  Came around the curve in the mountains, doin about 80 MPH  and the traffic was stopped (due to a fatality a mile up the highway)!  She got on the binders and front brake locked up......the bike went down and so did she.  

She had full leathers on and all she ended up with was a little road rash on the chin, and a broken arm.  She didn't know her arm was broke until we got her bike back to Sacramento, to the dealership that I picked mine up from, yesterday.......then I asked her to go get checked out.  She was resistant, she just thought it was a little swollen, but no big thing.  It was broken.  

Damage to the bike was minamal.....derby cover, crash bar, clutch lever, mirror, saddlebags, etc.  Looks like the crash bar and the saddle bags did a pretty good job of keepin the bike up off the asphalt.

So.......why does HD not include anti-lock brakes on all their bikes?  If they did, she would not have gone down and neither would thousands of other riders, each year.  When you guys are talking to factory reps at the large runs or if you call them about an issue please make this issue a part of your conversation.  

The technology is there, they just need to incorporate it.  That will happen when enough people yell loud enough for it.  Write HD a letter.  We want anti-lock brakes on all models, going forward.

Thanks guys!

mr_magoo:
JC it is out on the police bike this year as an option,  not sure if it will make it to the rest of the bikes next year or not.  The biggest problem is you lose about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the right side saddle bag,  they got to make it smaller.

naitram:
i would expect over time the space required would be less and less

Dallas:
WHY WOULD YOU LOSE ANY OF THE SADDLEBAG  OR ITS SPACE?

PCC:
I can't think of a mountain road aound here where it's a good idea to run 80 MPH, especially during Street Vibes, and I was born in Reno. IMO, she should look to her own riding habits, and or braking skill (at that speed, in those conditions). I've ridden 4 different Beemer's at distance, all with ABS, and with motor school skills and I can say, even the ABS probably wouldn't have kept her from going down. Too much speed is a big badge of honor, and I've seen it balyhoed on this site, right up until your moment of truth comes!!! [smiley=blank.gif]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version