Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Cleaning procedure with fairing and saddlebags  (Read 8278 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Cleaning procedure with fairing and saddlebags
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 10:12:37 AM »

Dood you're full of chit.  You put dirty bags on one of those stands for an hour or a day and they'll still be dirty.  Water works a lot better.  Geez.
Duh!!! I said tool :D :D... just like any other tool it's not going to do it for you... you have to do something w/it to get the job done.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »

Good idear. :2vrolijk_21: It's not worth riding w/the chemicals on the road and have them get into places to eat your bike away. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

And what about them bugs you could run into in the summer that could damage your paint with their chemical bug goo.  :o :o :o Better leave it in the garage all year-better safe than sorry!!  :verkleidung005: :verkleidung005: :verkleidung005: Think of all the (beer) money you could save by not having to buy all that Glare.        :huepfenjump3:  :huepfenjump3:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »

Duh!!! I said tool :D :D... just like any other tool it's not going to do it for you... you have to do something w/it to get the job done.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Hehehe.  Had $5 on whether you'd actually try to explain it or not.  I won :huepfenlol2: .

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »

And what about them bugs you could run into in the summer that could damage your paint with their chemical bug goo.  :o :o :o Better leave it in the garage all year-better safe than sorry!!  :verkleidung005: :verkleidung005: :verkleidung005: Think of all the (beer) money you could save by not having to buy all that Glare.        :huepfenjump3:  :huepfenjump3:
Don't have them kind of bugs here. ;D And even with the bug (guts) I still wouldn't be as concerned with them as I would be w/the chemicals that are put down for snow, and riding in an area near the ocean (salt water). Oh, and BTW I don't use Glare. :D :D One other note I do wipe the bike down at the end of the day after I ride so the bug guts don't eat at the paint. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »

Oh :idea2: , I guess it's the bug guts that are causing the rust to start in the driver's door of my truck and also causing the aluminum wheels to start oxidizing!  Hmmmm, wonder why the front of the truck where all the bugs hit still looks just fine?!? :confused5: ::) ???

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 01:19:07 PM »

The bugs are giving you a protective coating to keep the salt out and that keeps the front from rusting. :orange:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »

I think I'm about 2/3 of the way through waxing the entire bike.  Waxing those wheels was a real pain.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had very few water spots on the bike after washing.  I usually have them all over the place.  After I washed the entire bike, I then sprayed S100 on the bike and then rinsed it again.  I used my Cycle Dry dryer and I didn't have time to wipe the entire bike down.  I only did a real quick wipe down and I expected to see water spots everywhere.  Maybe it's the wax from the factory that did me so well, but I decided that this was a good time to make sure I had a good coat of wax on the entire bike.  The bike is glowing right now.  It did not look this good when I bought it.  There's definitely more time involved in waxing this bike compared to the Road King.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 01:15:17 AM »

I think I'm about 2/3 of the way through waxing the entire bike.  Waxing those wheels was a real pain.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had very few water spots on the bike after washing.  I usually have them all over the place.  After I washed the entire bike, I then sprayed S100 on the bike and then rinsed it again.  I used my Cycle Dry dryer and I didn't have time to wipe the entire bike down.  I only did a real quick wipe down and I expected to see water spots everywhere.  Maybe it's the wax from the factory that did me so well, but I decided that this was a good time to make sure I had a good coat of wax on the entire bike.  The bike is glowing right now.  It did not look this good when I bought it.  There's definitely more time involved in waxing this bike compared to the Road King.

Couple of things here. I washed the bike Sunday. Took me 5 (five) hours to do it right. After the wash, I plugged in my Cycle Dryer and it caught fire! Sparks flying everywhere, smoke all about. Anyway, finished it the old fashioned way with a chamois. I know d00d loves his bag holders and I haven't bought a pair yet. But here is a tip whether you use the bag holders or not: go to the hardware store and buy plastic feet that go under furniture! Get the self adhesive ones about the size of a nickel. One in each corner of the saddlebag. This way if you have to place the bags on top of a rag on the floor they will not get scratched.

REGGAB

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »

Couple of things here. I washed the bike Sunday. Took me 5 (five) hours to do it right. After the wash, I plugged in my Cycle Dryer and it caught fire! Sparks flying everywhere, smoke all about. Anyway, finished it the old fashioned way with a chamois. I know d00d loves his bag holders and I haven't bought a pair yet. But here is a tip whether you use the bag holders or not: go to the hardware store and buy plastic feet that go under furniture! Get the self adhesive ones about the size of a nickel. One in each corner of the saddlebag. This way if you have to place the bags on top of a rag on the floor they will not get scratched.

This is an excellent piece of info.  I've had pads on the bottom of my bags since June 07.  Even though I use the Bagrrest during any prolonged task requiring bag removal, the pads are mighty handy if you gotta pull off the bags to make a quick adjustment to the Bitubos. 

Thanks, AJ!   :2vrolijk_21:

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »

If you use pads on the bottom of your saddle bags, won't you see them off the reflection of your pipes? I had some tape on the bottom of one of mine when I picked up from the dealer, saw it from the service desk, stood out like a sore thumb! You should have seen the face on the service writer when I asked if they scratched the bottom of my bag. The dude that brought it out got on his hands and knees and said "No its just some black tape." Service writer didn't figure out how I knew there was something on my bag. His face kinda looked like this... :o Probably thought I was psychic...uhmm, maybe more like psycho! :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »

If you use pads on the bottom of your saddle bags, won't you see them off the reflection of your pipes? I had some tape on the bottom of one of mine when I picked up from the dealer, saw it from the service desk, stood out like a sore thumb! You should have seen the face on the service writer when I asked if they scratched the bottom of my bag. The dude that brought it out got on his hands and knees and said "No its just some black tape." Service writer didn't figure out how I knew there was something on my bag. His face kinda looked like this... :o Probably thought I was psychic...uhmm, maybe more like psycho! :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:
That's why my saddlebags are safe and sound in MY garage whenever I take my bike in for service.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:29 PM »

If you use pads on the bottom of your saddle bags, won't you see them off the reflection of your pipes? ...

JR, you would be hard pressed to see the pads on the bottom of my bags. They are clear and are less than an inch square. I would much rather have pads than scratches.

REGGAB

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »

Bit more contrast on yellow bags.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 11:25:54 PM »

JR, you would be hard pressed to see the pads on the bottom of my bags. They are clear and are less than an inch square. I would much rather have pads than scratches.

:2vrolijk_21:

texaswiz

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »

Good idear. :2vrolijk_21: It's not worth riding w/the chemicals on the road and have them get into places to eat your bike away. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

There is a new bill before Congress to limit the sale of Harleys above Kansas to the North. Cold weather, ya know. Everybody should move south and ride year around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.