Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Black Engine Chrome became dull and foggy  (Read 12586 times)

SupDude

Re: Black Engine Chrome became dull and foggy
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:04 AM »

I have a bottle of Back to Black which I used to use on the inner faring of my 2010 Road Glide Custom.  It restored the faded white areas and made the bike look great.  I've never thought of using it on powder coated parts but I'll give it a try.  BTW, I recently gave up using S100 products because of the white haze.  I bought a bottle of Mcguiars wash and it does a great job. 
2013 CVO Road Glide Anniversary

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

For what it is worth, I have some light swirl scratches on the Primary and Cam covers from someone having the great idea of wiping the bike down with a dry cloth. >:(

I talked with an experienced bike detail guy and he said that on black finishes that have swirl, light rub marks and haze on it to use a product called "3M Ultrafine Machine Polish" and a micro-fiber cloth with light pressure. The attached video uses a car for the entire refinish process but the last few minutes shows the use of the ultrafine product and application.

After that use a good wax or sealer.

CumberlandJB

• TX

• Trucking Technology
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 10:59:59 PM »

My 2 cents, I use Meguires 26 wax on the engine, wheels, and frame.  Yes, the entire engine - chrome, black, and cast parts.  It is a pain to apply, but it lasts forever and makes cleaning for the next year or two much easier. 

It won't fix the foggy black - there's already been plenty said about that.  But, it will keep it looking good. 

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »

My 2 cents, I use Meguires 26 wax on the engine, wheels, and frame.  Yes, the entire engine - chrome, black, and cast parts.  It is a pain to apply, but it lasts forever and makes cleaning for the next year or two much easier. 

It won't fix the foggy black - there's already been plenty said about that.  But, it will keep it looking good. 

I read where 26 isn't the best choice on light colors.  Have you had any experience with this?

CumberlandJB

• TX

• Trucking Technology
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »

I have been using Meguires 26 for years n everything - but the latest color vehicle I have ever owned was my Chopper Blue RoadGlide I just sold.  I can't tell you if there is a problem with that wax on light colors. 

I just bought is root beer 2012 FLTRXSE.  Decided to Meguires everything except the painted surfaces - will use Zaino Z2 Pro for that.  Zaino is expensive, but it's worked well on my Dodge.  We will see.

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »

Thanks, I will have to take a look at the Zaino Z2.

Thundercloud

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

MY Skunk is doing the same thing

Same BS for every issue we have on these bikes. The MOCO never just stands behind their products, we have to fight tooth and nail to get them to do anything. Thinking it might be time for a Goldwing.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

I use Simple Green ( can get it from Home Depot ) Awesome stuff, cleans as well, if not better that S100 but is fully bio degradable and safe for all types of surfaces. I have bin using it for years on all my dirt bikes, sport bikes and my last 3 Harley's.  Give it a try, you will use it for ever.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »

Not sure why the above comment critizes HD for milky black paint/powdercoat. HD was not the one who sprayed S100 Total bike cleaner or a similiar product on the bike. It, in my opinion, is the  responsibility for the owner to read and understand what is in the product prior to using it and also to verify the finish the product is being sprayed on is tolerable to the cleaner. MOST if not ALL painted surfaces will dull if S100 total bike cleaner is sprayed on and not immediately removed with HEAVY volumes of water as they contain some concentration of ammonia or chlorine which should never be used on paint. I know a hundred people are going to reply they have been using it for years, but my response is there stuff shows they have been using it and would never suit me. IMHO keep chemicals off the painted surfaces and wash them with car wash soap and water and dry. Then occassionally polish/wax with a product for painted surfaces.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 07:21:03 AM »

Wanted to revisit this topic.
For thoses with blacked-out crome and motors....have you found this be a non-issue to keep clean...or would you have rather have the traditional crome(handle bars, rocker covers, crash guards....ect)

Looking at a blacked out bike and wonders about keeping the black looking shiny.

Thanks

agedwards63

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »

So far Original Bikers Spirits Polish has shined my "shiny black" parts right back up when they get hazy

CumberlandJB

• TX

• Trucking Technology
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »

My FTRRXSE is now 2 years old.  Wax on the engine, including the glossy black parts, has done the trick and looks as good as new.  So, 2 years in, the gloss black engine parts are looking just as good as chrome engine parts. 

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 02:45:12 AM »

Thanks

Glad to hear that the black is holding up!

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Black Motor Parts
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »

For those of you who have the engine with the black motor parts ( rocker boxes, primary cover, transmission covers ect. ) what exactly is the finish ? power coating ? black paint ?  My real question, no matter what finish it is, what do you do to keep the parts looking nice ? Mine have kind of a film or haze look to it, and I'd like to get them to shine again like when it new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                           Jonnierock

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Black Motor Parts
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »

Pig Spit
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.