Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chipped clear coat  (Read 4086 times)

CVOgliderider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Ultra
Chipped clear coat
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:37:09 PM »

I took a small rock into the fairing on the road and it made three small chips in the clear coat. Brand new bike with 900 miles, not happy.
Anyone have any suggestions for repair? I already clayed the area and re-waxed, that helps but you can still see them. The chips are about the
size of a pin head/pencil lead.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Chipped clear coat
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »

Some of the HD clear coats contain the metallic.  Can't say for sure because I've not seen your chips.  You can fix with the HD touch up kit paint.  Clean the area to be touched up to remove any wax.  Get a very thin pencil brush from an art store.  Dab the paint on very sparingly.  Let dry a couple days then polish.  Repeat if necessary.  This has worked for me.

Or,

You could trade it in.    Kidding!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mark

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »

Griots Garage used to sell a chip repair kit with micro brushes, etc. 

CVOgliderider

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »

Some of the HD clear coats contain the metallic.  Can't say for sure because I've not seen your chips.  You can fix with the HD touch up kit paint.  Clean the area to be touched up to remove any wax.  Get a very thin pencil brush from an art store.  Dab the paint on very sparingly.  Let dry a couple days then polish.  Repeat if necessary.  This has worked for me.

Or,

You could trade it in.    Kidding!

Thanks for the information.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »

Get a GOOD quality brush, if it is really just clear then go to Walmart or a auto parts store and get a touch-up tube of clearcoat. If it is one of the HD colors that contain tint/metallic etc use the HD touch-up kit for your color. Remember to remove ALL wax before you start from the area you are working on and light scuff the area you intend to repair with some compound or paper, just enough to make sure area is free of wax and scratched enough the paint will stick. Either way, take your time and slowly with thin coats fill the chip allowing the material to dry between coats until you have it slightly above the level of the surrounding area. At this point wait until the next day and then, take your time and use a small piece of 1500/2000/2500 wet & dry paper to bring it to level and slightly feather the surrounding area, slightly being the word here. Then use a buffer and some light compound followed by a no cut pad with a quality wax. Your chip will disappear, I promise. I have done hundreds over the years on everything from Harleys to show cars, it works but is a slow process.

CVOgliderider

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »

Get a GOOD quality brush, if it is really just clear then go to Walmart or a auto parts store and get a touch-up tube of clearcoat. If it is one of the HD colors that contain tint/metallic etc use the HD touch-up kit for your color. Remember to remove ALL wax before you start from the area you are working on and light scuff the area you intend to repair with some compound or paper, just enough to make sure area is free of wax and scratched enough the paint will stick. Either way, take your time and slowly with thin coats fill the chip allowing the material to dry between coats until you have it slightly above the level of the surrounding area. At this point wait until the next day and then, take your time and use a small piece of 1500/2000/2500 wet & dry paper to bring it to level and slightly feather the surrounding area, slightly being the word here. Then use a buffer and some light compound followed by a no cut pad with a quality wax. Your chip will disappear, I promise. I have done hundreds over the years on everything from Harleys to show cars, it works but is a slow process.

Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.