Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding that license plate bracket  (Read 6353 times)

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
Regarding that license plate bracket
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »

Hey folks,

Thought I would share this with you.  Pilotroll on this site suggested I mount the plate vertically, as he did.  So I took a look at it.  If you pull the license plate off, the bracket is actually two pieces attached together by a pivot screw.  You simply turn the outside plate of the bracket downward 90 degress, and voila, you put two screws in the license plate, mounted vertically.  I never would have noticed this since my dealer moved my plate over from my old bike and I never saw what the actual bracket looks like.

It (almost) cuts in half how far the bracket hangs out from the side of the bike, greatly improving the look.  Sorry, don't have a picture, but when you remove the plate and see the bracket, it's obvious what to do.

Thanks Pilotroll!!
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
Re: Regarding that license plate bracket
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:02:19 AM »

Awesome, I'm on that as soon as I get home tonight.  Thanks for the info.

Hey folks,

Thought I would share this with you.  Pilotroll on this site suggested I mount the plate vertically, as he did.  So I took a look at it.  If you pull the license plate off, the bracket is actually two pieces attached together by a pivot screw.  You simply turn the outside plate of the bracket downward 90 degress, and voila, you put two screws in the license plate, mounted vertically.  I never would have noticed this since my dealer moved my plate over from my old bike and I never saw what the actual bracket looks like.

It (almost) cuts in half how far the bracket hangs out from the side of the bike, greatly improving the look.  Sorry, don't have a picture, but when you remove the plate and see the bracket, it's obvious what to do.

Thanks Pilotroll!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »

Be a little careful with this one.  At least do a little homework.  Some states have made vertical mounted plates illegal.  Like exhaust noise levels the "full faith and credit" rules don't apply there either (have heard that asked too often).  So you can get pulled over away from home even though it was legal at home.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »

Be a little careful with this one.  At least do a little homework.  Some states have made vertical mounted plates illegal.  Like exhaust noise levels the "full faith and credit" rules don't apply there either (have heard that asked too often).  So you can get pulled over away from home even though it was legal at home.

For me, it's like putting a front plate on my car.  I have had it since 2004, and putting a front plate on it would seriously screw up the look of the front end.  I figured I would go without it(it's required in Ohio), until the po-po pulled me over....has not happened in 8 years.  My wife's car is the same.

I think I have a pretty good track record going   :D

If I get any heartburn, it's a 2 minute operation to put it back horizontal....no tools required...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:20:02 AM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:07 AM »

For me, it's like putting a front plate on my car.  I have had it since 2004, and putting a front plate on it would seriously screw up the look of the front end.  I figured I would go without it(it's required in Ohio), until the po-po pulled me over....has not happened in 8 years.  My wife's car is the same.

I think I have a pretty good track record going   :D

Lucky man.  I used to have a 57 vette and a 56 tbird and would love to have left the front plates off those cars.  It messed up the look of each.  Am next door to Kansas which doesn't use a front plate.  But here we do and it seems to be an enforcement point.  Every car I've tried to accidentally forget to mount a front plate on has been pulled over within weeks.  Go for it.  I think the vertical turn would look a lot better on that bike.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »

Illinois also has the front plate law, but luckily it has never been enforced for me (knock on wood).  I wouldn't even know how to put the front plate on, I would have to look it up- I think I have the bracket somewhere but I never want to find it.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »

Here in BC we are supposed to have a front plate....never did punch the holes in the front 'bumper' to mount it....but, do have the plate and a couple tie-wraps in the back in case I have to. Even when I got pulled over for 159 in a 100 and had my Jeep confiscated there was no mention of the missing plate.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

Here in BC we are supposed to have a front plate....never did punch the holes in the front 'bumper' to mount it....but, do have the plate and a couple tie-wraps in the back in case I have to. Even when I got pulled over for 159 in a 100 and had my Jeep confiscated there was no mention of the missing plate.

100 mile an hour in a Jeep.  Sweet  ::) .

(His are bigger than mine!)

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »

Not only 100 mph (or 159 KPH) but almost 40 over the posted limit....wonder they didn't throw you under the jail dayne.... :2vrolijk_21:
Probably didn't even notice you didn't have a front plate as they were just happy to catch up to you... ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:35:52 PM by Ultrarider1 »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »

Not only 100 mph (or 159 KPH) but almost 40 over the posted limit....wonder they didn't throw you under the jail dayne.... :2vrolijk_21:
Probably didn't even notice you didn't have a front plate as they were just happy to catch up to you... ;D
...was in a Grande Cherokee Limited "S" diesel...not a Wrangler...that would be crazy! I deserved the ticket, no-doubt-about-it!  After 8 years and 300,000+ kms of high speed driving I was due! They towed the Jeep, driver dropped me at a Budget, I got on the road and got to Mackenzie less than an hour later than normal. Towing, storage, rental, fine, and 3 years of license surcharge....~~$2000.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:12:33 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.