Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Rear end cleaned up-pics  (Read 12683 times)

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
Rear end cleaned up-pics
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »

Hi folks,

Not an earth-shattering mod, but someone asked for pics once I had it done so here it is.  Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount.  Also had the rear reflector removed.  some folks like the swingarm placement, some folks hate it...I say ANYTHING is better than stock ;D

I have been reading state and local ordinances regarding the placement.  State of Ohio says the plate has to be legible and not obstructed, and that's it.  I did find a couple of local ordinances(not where I live) that state "the plate must be readable left to right"....read, horizontal mount.  So, I bought both the vertical and horizontal in case on vacation I get hassled, I will just switch it out.

I talked to 10 or so people who have a side vertical mount and to a person said they had never been hassled about it anywhere they rode, and for a couple of them that was over 10 years.  So, I am not going to worry about it....plus cops LOVE the Harley's  :2vrolijk_21:

The first picture reminds me just how good that rear tread would look if it was an Avon Cobra.  I pinged them asking if they were working on a 130 front tire to fit our bike and they said they were, but no date....cannot wait to get some real rubber on this bike.

I apologize for the appearance.  Got it back from the dealer yesterday, and although they did their best to wipe the bike down, it's not up to my standards !
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:55:07 PM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Rear end cleaned up-pics
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »

2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »

That looks much better, Z06.   :2vrolijk_21: 

The Breakout reminds me a lot of my Titan Gecko except the Breakout is a soft tail and the Titan has a Dyna style chassis.  The Titan came with a pretty clean plate mount but, like the Breakout, it had the big HD rear turn signals.  To clean that up, I went to Headwinds. I used halogen but Joel now has LED's as well.  I'm thinking you'd like them.  I had mine powder coated but they now come in various finishes.  See what you think. 

Here's a side view:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »

Rear:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »

wow, very interesting handlebar set up....drag bars with a riser...never seen anything like it...with the instruments hanging....that is definintely unique....how does that bike handle?

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »

Holly Batman  :o. Turning that plate vertical really looks much better  :2vrolijk_21:  An absolute mod in my opinion.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Fisherman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout Hard Candy Gold
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »

A first class mod sadly don't think i will get a way with it in the UK  :(

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 02:54:41 AM »

wow, very interesting handlebar set up....drag bars with a riser...never seen anything like it...with the instruments hanging....that is definitely unique....how does that bike handle?

Handles fine but I'm used to it.  Stiff and very fast.  Not a long distance ride by any means.  Don't know what the lean angles are but it's not a canyon carver....   It's a 2003 with 11K miles.  My '09 SERG has almost 40K.  Still when I do ride it..... yahoo!   :huepfenjump3:   :huepfenjump3:

Sawyer Brown

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »

A first class mod sadly don't think i will get a way with it in the UK  :(

Yes, you folks have license plates the size of billboards over there for some reason....is that because all of the police officers are near-sighted in the UK?  :P

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »

Yes, you folks have license plates the size of billboards over there for some reason....is that because all of the police officers are near-sighted in the UK?  :P
We have 'billboards' here in Canada too....makes finding license plate mounting option difficult, if not impossible.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »

Z06-
  What is the part number for this?  Was it part #5253 with #3184 mounting clamps?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:57:07 AM by Dobeman2000 »

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »

Z06-
  What is the part number for this?  Was it part #5253 with #3184 mounting clamps?

Hey Dobe,

No, actually, the plate is part #9251, and the swingarm mounting clamp/bracket is #3188(Kuryakyn part numbers).  I have to thank someone on this site(sorry, forgot their handle) that gave me a heads up to use the 3188 bracket and not the 3184.  The 3188 was made larger for the bigger diameter swingarms on the Rocker and CVO's....freakin' expensive clamp compared to the others but it fits perfectly.  I even had just enough room to put a thin piece of rubber between the mounting bracket and the swingarm so as to not scratch the paint.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:26:02 PM by Z06_Pilot »

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »

Hi folks,

Not an earth-shattering mod, but someone asked for pics once I had it done so here it is.  Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount.  Also had the rear reflector removed.  some folks like the swingarm placement, some folks hate it...I say ANYTHING is better than stock ;D

ZO6, is the plate lighted?  How did they run the wires?  Did they have to remove fender the take out the ill designed reflector?  Looks so much better than stock!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

Hi folks,

ZO6, is the plate lighted?  How did they run the wires?  Did they have to remove fender the take out the ill designed reflector?  Looks so much better than stock!

Hi Speedy,

Yes it is lighted.  There is a row of about 15 LED's and it's like daylight on the plate. If you decide to run from the law for some reason be sure to cut the wire to the light because they will see you for miles  !!

they pulled the existing plate wire out of the left side fender support, ran it down the back of the upper swingarm, around the back of the axle, and down the back of the lower swingarm.  The only thing visible are two small black zip ties on the upper swingarm, and one them is at the very top of it, so it's hard to notice....a very clean job...

Yes, they did have to remove the fender where there is a mounting plate with two screws.  Pull the plate off and the reflector snaps right off.  A whole lot of R/D spent on mounting a reflector, however, I would think there is some requirement that a free-standing safety reflector must be mounted securely to prevent it from falling off due to vibration, etc.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »

Hi Speedy,

Yes it is lighted.  There is a row of about 15 LED's and it's like daylight on the plate. If you decide to run from the law for some reason be sure to cut the wire to the light because they will see you for miles  !!

they pulled the existing plate wire out of the left side fender support, ran it down the back of the upper swingarm, around the back of the axle, and down the back of the lower swingarm.  The only thing visible are two small black zip ties on the upper swingarm, and one them is at the very top of it, so it's hard to notice....a very clean job...

Yes, they did have to remove the fender where there is a mounting plate with two screws.  Pull the plate off and the reflector snaps right off.  A whole lot of R/D spent on mounting a reflector, however, I would think there is some requirement that a free-standing safety reflector must be mounted securely to prevent it from falling off due to vibration, etc.

ZO6, Thank you for your speedy reply!  Still waiting not so patiently for my black and silver to arrive.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »

Thanks- expensive, but what isn't on these things

Hey Dobe,

No, actually, the plate is part #9251, and the swingarm mounting clamp/bracket is #3188(Kuryakyn part numbers).  I have to thank someone on this site(sorry, forgot their handle) that gave me a heads up to use the 3188 bracket and not the 3184.  The 3188 was made larger for the bigger diameter swingarms on the Rocker and CVO's....freakin' expensive clamp compared to the others but it fits perfectly.  I even had just enough room to put a thin piece of rubber between the mounting bracket and the swingarm so as to not scratch the paint.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »

Thanks- expensive, but what isn't on these things

oh Yea!  I saved some money by buying the parts through Dennis Kirk...

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »

thanks- I'll check it out

oh Yea!  I saved some money by buying the parts through Dennis Kirk...

G_Fend

• Full CVO Member
  • FXSBSE

• CVO1: '13 CVO Breakout (Crimson Red)
    • CVO2: '05 FXD
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »

Jeff,

Is the left turn signal now closer to the fender than the right after removing the plate bracket? Or did they put the regular spacer back in place?

Greg
2013 CVO Breakout FXSBSE
Crimson Red Sunglo
Quick Release Windshield
Engine Guard with Slipstream Highway Pegs
V&H Slash-cut Slip-ons

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »

Jeff,

Is the left turn signal now closer to the fender than the right after removing the plate bracket? Or did they put the regular spacer back in place?

Greg

Hi Greg,

Actually, the left blinker would have been further from the fender then the right blinker with the stock plate mount on, correct?  All they did was remove the plate mount which was between the left blinker and the left strut.  Now the distance from the left blinker to the left strut and the distances from the right blinker to the right strut are identical....Not sure if I am missing something?

Actually, there is no spacer that I can see between either blinker and where they mount onto the struts...

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »

Nice mod! Love the red bikes! They're the fastest.

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Breakout, Hard Candy Gold Dust / Liquid Sun
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »

Would this new location be bag friendly?

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 05:29:25 PM »

I wonder if the VRod Muscle LED tail light could be retro fitted on the Breakout....

That would look cool with the lower side mount plate and remove the std tail light.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:31:40 PM by Bretto »
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 03:29:52 AM »

I wonder if the VRod Muscle LED tail light could be retro fitted on the Breakout....

I thought of that too.  My take is that the rear fenders are substantially different so fitment will be an issue.  Instead I'm having my dealer install flexible LED's that hug the curvature of the rear fender.  I'm also adding LED bulbs to the two rear bullet tailights.  Will post pics when the mods are done.

Superpotminer

• SK

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »

I want to get rid of the over the tire license plate and tailight bracket on my Canadian model Breakout and go to a side mount. I am looking at the same Kurakyn plate but may end up buying the saddle bags. I am wondering if the bags would cover the plate?  Is anyone that converted from their oem sidemount interested in selling it?
Here's a pic of my over the tire mount removed.

Blackhawk

• How do you clear your mind between meetings: wind in my face at 60mph and a rumble between my legs.

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertable
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »

Didn't happen to see out there any sort of "cap" for that small hole for the solo bolt?  I have this nice fender and a hole in it,or a large bolt sticking out of it, depending on how you want to look at it.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »

Didn't happen to see out there any sort of "cap" for that small hole for the solo bolt?  I have this nice fender and a hole in it,or a large bolt sticking out of it, depending on how you want to look at it.
Look at the under-side of the passenger pillion...there's a nice little chrome button there....just for this exact purpose.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Blackhawk

• How do you clear your mind between meetings: wind in my face at 60mph and a rumble between my legs.

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertable
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »

Thanks Dayne, however there was nothing on the underside.  Maybe the 2012 cvo softails didn't get that upgrade.  I did put out a post on the CVO Softail's section.  We will see what comes up, otherwise I see some machine work in my future.

The plate mod does look great.

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

Did you take a look under passenger seat pad once it is off ? That's where the street Glide button is ;-)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »

Did you take a look under passenger seat pad once it is off ? That's where the street Glide button is ;-)
Yes, there's one under the breakout seat as well.  I am also thinking of getting those fender strips that were on my 2011 CVO Convertible.  Might look good to break up that wide swath of (for me) molten silver . . .

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »

Yes, there's one under the breakout seat as well.  I am also thinking of getting those fender strips that were on my 2011 CVO Convertible.  Might look good to break up that wide swath of (for me) molten silver . . .
Here's another pic of those fender strips.  Think it would look good on the Breakout?

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

You could be on to something with the fender strips speedy . Post some picks if you go ahead and do it  8)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 05:07:09 AM »

Hi Greg,

Actually, the left blinker would have been further from the fender then the right blinker with the stock plate mount on, correct?  All they did was remove the plate mount which was between the left blinker and the left strut.  Now the distance from the left blinker to the left strut and the distances from the right blinker to the right strut are identical....Not sure if I am missing something?

Actually, there is no spacer that I can see between either blinker and where they mount onto the struts...

That's confusing to me too.  I don't see how you can make the two tail lights equidistant to the fender.  I'm going to order another right side tail light and install it on the left.   I'm also looking to use the vertical license plate that mounts onto the axel instead of the swing arm.  This way I may be able to add a swing arm bag at back of the plate.  I'm not into baggers but i must admit that storage for the little things like polishing cloths, wheel locks etc. sure comes in handy!  Pics to follow when I'm done.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »

That's confusing to me too.  I don't see how you can make the two tail lights equidistant to the fender.  I'm going to order another right side tail light and install it on the left.   I'm also looking to use the vertical license plate that mounts onto the axel instead of the swing arm.  This way I may be able to add a swing arm bag at back of the plate.  I'm not into baggers but i must admit that storage for the little things like polishing cloths, wheel locks etc. sure comes in handy!  Pics to follow when I'm done.

hmmm.  well, I just measured the distance from the fender to the outside edge of the right blinker and it's exactly 4".  I did the same with the left fender and it's exactly 4".  That's with the Harley OEM plate bracket removed.  Not sure what to tell you.  either the left blinker is further away from the left fender when the OEM plate bracket is in place, or they somehow fitted the left blinker stalk to be closer to the fender after they removed the plate bracket.   Heck, maybe they had a right blinker laying around and put it on the left side...

I'm not sure.  I just know both blinkers are the same distance from the fender now...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 21 queries.