Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Finally removed stupid rear reflector...  (Read 16104 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Finally removed stupid rear reflector...
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »

Cleaner look, don't you think?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re: Finally removed stupid rear reflector...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »

Looks much better. I will do the same when installing the kuryakyn plate mount.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »

What do you have to do to take it off?  It looks a lot better!

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Breakout, Hard Candy Gold Dust / Liquid Sun
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »

Looks a-lot better....I would like to remove mine.

How much trouble was this mod?

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »

Looks a-lot better....I would like to remove mine.

How much trouble was this mod?

Aloha Nicky and Clubhes, for me it wasn'tuch of a pain cause I had the tech do it when they replaced my rear fender.  There is a plastic? grill? plate? (it was a thingamajig for sure) under the rear fender where the reflector bracket was pressure attached to.  See the tabs on the bracket?  I think Z06 removed his without removing the fender.....but I'd do it when the rear tire needs replacing.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:23:52 PM »

Aloha Nicky and Clubhes, for me it wasn'tuch of a pain cause I had the tech do it when they replaced my rear fender.  There is a plastic? grill? plate? (it was a thingamajig for sure) under the rear fender where the reflector bracket was pressure attached to.  See the tabs on the bracket?  I think Z06 removed his without removing the fender.....but I'd do it when the rear tire needs replacing.

hey Speedy,

no, on mine the rear fender did indeed have to come off in order to remove the retaining plate that holds the reflector on...boy, they really didn't want that thing falling off!

I really dig the look, but now it makes the giant gap between the fender and tire really noticeable...oh well, the tradeoff we make for a compliant ride....
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »

I really dig the look, but now it makes the giant gap between the fender and tire really noticeable...oh well, the tradeoff we make for a compliant ride....
[/quote]
Yeah, I hate that gap.  I'm eventually gonna put Stingerz LED lights from Custom Dynamics.  Just want to make sure that they will stay attached.  I'm thinking that more is needed than just the 3M double sided tape as that location gets so much water and road debris.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

[/quote]

Or remove reflector from attaching bracket and add this

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/skull-with-wings-medallion

Its short by 1/2 inch which means a 1/4 inch if the bracket will show on each side . . .

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »

I have been playing around with some options for the gap when the reflector is removed and am thinking it might be best to just turn the reflector into a taillight/brake-light combo. I also tried to see what the bike would look like with a turn signal/taillight/brake-light bar with the turn signals removed but IMO the bike has a retro feel to it in general and a light bar might be too modern for the rest of the bike. Anyhow here's a comparison (including the suggestion by Speedy - Though the scale is off):

taillight-compare-2 by Cameron L., on Flickr

The good news is that Stingerz is in the neighborhood, so to speak, and I am thinking about riding down there to see what they might come up with.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »

I have been playing around with some options for the gap when the reflector is removed and am thinking it might be best to just turn the reflector into a taillight/brake-light combo. I also tried to see what the bike would look like with a turn signal/taillight/brake-light bar with the turn signals removed but IMO the bike has a retro feel to it in general and a light bar might be too modern for the rest of the bike. Anyhow here's a comparison (including the suggestion by Speedy - Though the scale is off):

The good news is that Stingerz is in the neighborhood, so to speak, and I am thinking about riding down there to see what they might come up with.
If it were possible to get a LED light strip under the fender as shown in bottom left photo w/a smoked lens (rendering it almost invisible until lights were on) and have them set up as a brake/turn signal light, and  maintaining the stock turn signals might be a good option. This would allow the extra lighting on the back when needed and maintain the retro look. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rodrocket

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout - Molten Silver / Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2006 V Rod Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »

How about the V-Rod Muscle tail light assembly, will it fit the Breakout as from memory the muscle has the indicators built into the Stop / Tail light & fts under the fender

regards
Rod

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »

How cool!  Thanks for doing this!  Really helps to see this.  I thought about our tank emblems too, but the curvature may not look right unless it could be recessed and hidden.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »

How about the V-Rod Muscle tail light assembly, will it fit the Breakout as from memory the muscle has the indicators built into the Stop / Tail light & fts under the fender

regards
Rod

I think the fender curvature is different, plus it has amber turn signals.

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Breakout, Hard Candy Gold Dust / Liquid Sun
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »

Thanks for the follow-up info. I will pobably wait until the tire change. ...Also there was a thread about a shock change that actually reduced the fender gap. I'm gonna look into that.

rodrocket

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout - Molten Silver / Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2006 V Rod Destroyer
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

I think the fender curvature is different, plus it has amber turn signals.

thanks for that, I don't mind the amber to much but was hoping the shape may be the same

regards
Rod
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.