Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Rust under Clear coat  (Read 17872 times)

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
Re: Rust under Clear coat
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 12:24:25 AM »

Working on the second rear fender. Now have a streak of rust from the filler neck. the wrinkle coating is falling off the underside of the engine and the real wheel has cracks and pits in the chrome that is starting to rust. Going to the dealer on Friday to document all. the engine is bad as the aluminum is corroding so I don't no how they are going to fix that. the filler neck rust streak is very small right now so I'm guessing that will be an issue as the 10 feet rule may kick in. That being said, I've never seen rust suddenly stop or recede.

This is not my first Harley but my first CVO. Likely to be my last if these issues are not repaired/replaced to my satisfaction. I can afford any motorcycle I choose and chose a Harley CVO Breakout. I'm starting to question if that was a wise choice for both Harley and the CVO model.

You would expect better when paying a premium price!!

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 05:53:29 AM »

I was booked to take my 2013 CVO Breakout into the local HD dealer today to have the replacement rear fender fitted tomorrow

( Rust " squiggles" or spider webbing under the clear coat emanating from the seat bolt hole )

Too wet by far in Perth western Australia to ride 20+ K's in the rain , so I've cancelled until "later"

It's winter here now by way of explanation to those in the northern hemisphere enjoying early summer !

The fender took 10 weeks approx from first warranty report to arrive in Western Australia , not too bad actually !
No illegitimi carborundum

harley2014

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 06:18:50 AM »

Exactly the same as mine, but just above rear reflector, dealer as been great, chasing up a hopefuly quick replacement,  I would expect Harley to sort out this problem ASAP, in there preparation to the polished metal before they apply the clear coat. Very bad publicity on a premium and very expensive bike. :nixweiss:

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »

I have two 2013 CVO Breakouts (red and gold)- I haven't noticed any problems yet, but will be going home tonight to inspect areas here more carefully that have been mentioned on the thread .

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 02:16:08 AM »

After they replaced my tank , now the clear coat on the rear fender is coming loose around the saddle bolt .
Went to the dealer, they informed HD and a representative came by.
I had two options , remove the fender and send it to a HD approved paintshop in the UK ,according to the HD rep this would have a turn around time of one week
or wait for a new fender to arrive from the US.
While I have been reading in this post that someone else waited 5 weeks for the UK paintshop and then be told they could not paint the Tank and the Riding season just starts here
I opted for the new fender , while I do not want to park the bike for the whole summer at the dealer , waiting for my fender to come back from the paintshop.

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »

Took mine to the dealer last week for tank rust under the clear. Was informed today the a new one is on the way... 8)
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »

I asked the dealer yesterday when the new rear fender was coming, he told me that HD Europe refused to order one . My rearfendef has to be send to England where HD has contracted a paintshop who will repair the paint. HD tells that it will taken one week to repair. But I doubt that.
The dealer has send before a top case to this paint shop and it took them 4 weeks before it was back. While I do not want to park my bike in the middle of the driving season for 4 to 6 weeks
I agreed now with the dealer to send the rear fender this winter for repair . But I am driving around with a big rust spot on the Fender .
 I will tell everybody why this spot is sitting there and how I have be treated on this warranty question by the MOCO for a bike costing 35000 Euro (or for my friends on the other side of the big pond 47250 Us$) It is a good advertisement for the MoCo , and I am sure it will scare some people away from buying a Harley

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

Krise

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
    • CVO2: Breakout CVO
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 07:56:21 AM »

Rear fender

:-[ :'(

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »

Anyone seeing issues on their 2014?
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

harley2014

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »

Tank as been replaced, I have been waiting 2 months for a replacement fender due to rust on my 2014 CVO Breakout >:(

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »

Tank as been replaced, I have been waiting 2 months for a replacement fender due to rust on my 2014 CVO Breakout >:(

2014 ?

I thought that was a gold 2013....   ???

... Since I'm colorblind, it makes sense......   :-\

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:29:19 PM by dahsen »

Paul McCormick

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »

Yes  on my molton black rear fender on the rolled edge have 5 small rust spots

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »

Working on the second rear fender. Now have a streak of rust from the filler neck. the wrinkle coating is falling off the underside of the engine and the real wheel has cracks and pits in the chrome that is starting to rust. Going to the dealer on Friday to document all. the engine is bad as the aluminum is corroding so I don't no how they are going to fix that. the filler neck rust streak is very small right now so I'm guessing that will be an issue as the 10 feet rule may kick in. That being said, I've never seen rust suddenly stop or recede.

This is not my first Harley but my first CVO. Likely to be my last if these issues are not repaired/replaced to my satisfaction. I can afford any motorcycle I choose and chose a Harley CVO Breakout. I'm starting to question if that was a wise choice for both Harley and the CVO model.

You would expect better when paying a premium price!!

Latest update, they replaced the rear wheel and ordered the tank and rear fender. The dealer is still fighting with HD about the powder coating but they have not made a final determination. Just noticed chrome peeling from the area around the pivot point pin on the chrome front brake/master cylinder assembly. Haven't showed it to the dealer yet but yet another HD part with inferior finish. I'm guessing it will be replaced as you can clearly see the nickel plating under the chrome as it peels away. probably where someone touched it between the nickel and chrome plating process.

It is a real shame that HD quality has been slowly degrading over the years. Harley Chrome and Paint used to be the best. Add in all the lifter and noisy engine issues and you have one expensive pile of Sh$t.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »

Question for you guys that had the warranty work done...

Is there an extended warranty on the new parts?

Example, my 2013 has rust on the rear fender now, I wait until fall / winter to bring it in, get it fixed by spring. The factory warranty will only be good a for a few more months, will I have at least a year for the new fender (or repair)?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

Question for you guys that had the warranty work done...

Is there an extended warranty on the new parts?

Example, my 2013 has rust on the rear fender now, I wait until fall / winter to bring it in, get it fixed by spring. The factory warranty will only be good a for a few more months, will I have at least a year for the new fender (or repair)?

That's a question you really should direct to H-D Corporate.  I seriously doubt you will get a definite yes to that question.  They may do partial "goodwill" adjustments once the warranty expires, but those are strictly on a case by case basis and subject to the whims of the person you talk to when the problem actually comes up.  I haven't seen anything in writing about an official program to extend the warranty on the paint.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.