Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: More TQ w/ Not alot of head work?  (Read 6770 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: More TQ w/ Not alot of head work?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »

Time for an unbalanced reply :P
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MCE

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »

1.) Fixing the Short side radius and bowl, 2.) fixing the throat (bigger valve)  and 3.) the right valve job will get you close to the full potential of that head. The rest is less significant in the grand scheme of things.

just my 2 cents

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »

Matt what about the right spring pressures on the seat and open and zero deck.   Why give up HP to drive un-needed pressures?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MCE

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »

Matt what about the right spring pressures on the seat and open and zero deck.   Why give up HP to drive un-needed pressures?

It all adds up.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »

1.) Fixing the Short side radius and bowl, 2.) fixing the throat (bigger valve)  and 3.) the right valve job will get you close to the full potential of that head. The rest is less significant in the grand scheme of things.

just my 2 cents

By doing the above items.

Does it require more changes internally or externally (tranny, clutch etc.) to handle more power? Other than the chest parts of cam, lifters, rods, possibly cam plate and oil pump, headers, exhaust I mentioned earlier?

Additionally, without getting specific. Are we talking under $1k, $1.5k or over $2k for the head work mentioned?

Further, what numbers (TQ/HP) would be ”reasonable” to expect from the above work as an increase from a stock 110 ?

Thanks for your time.
Dan

Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

Nocvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »

I really appreciate the way you blokes don't mind educating people, obviously most of us are not going to run out and start our own shop but it does help to know what's needed if you want someone to do the work because you know the right questions to ask before you let them at it, you know, just to be sure they know what's what.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

More TQ w/ Not alot of head work?
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »

Does it require more changes internally or externally (tranny, clutch etc.) to handle more power? Other than the chest parts of cam, lifters, rods, possibly cam plate and oil pump, headers, exhaust I mentioned earlier?

Additionally, without getting specific. Are we talking under $1k, $1.5k or over $2k for the head work mentioned?

Further, what numbers (TQ/HP) would be ”reasonable” to expect from the above work as an increase from a stock 110 ?

Thanks for your time.
Dan

Depending on porter the headwork will be in the range $600-$1000

Before I’d buy a clutch I would try an AIM VPC on top of the existing clutch

I’d put in new lifters with a new cam.   The cam chest  will be dependent on wear of the pump or plate or if you have need for more pressure at idle when hot.

Exhaust changes would be recommended to take advantage of the improvements and a throttlebody upgrade to a 58 with 5.3 injectors.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:18:18 PM by Unbalanced »

MCE

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »

Thanks for your time.
Dan
Way under a $K! You'd get 10/10 TQ easy, depending on cam, HP would go way up.

Nocvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2018, 02:01:09 AM »

Time for an unbalanced reply :P

Funny buggas lol
On the VPC, how do they go on the hydraulic clutch? I had one on my old Dyna but it was cable, would it make the pull much heavier at high rpm than it is now?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2018, 06:56:36 AM »

Funny buggas lol
On the VPC, how do they go on the hydraulic clutch? I had one on my old Dyna but it was cable, would it make the pull much heavier at high rpm than it is now?

Mine have never been much different from the pull you have now

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2018, 10:49:23 AM »

Thanks for your time.
Dan
Are we talking under $1k
Yes

MCE

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »

Unless you're going to go crazy with motor upgrades, a good stock style clutch will be fine.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »

These replies help considerably, thank you !

If you have more to add, please do.
Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »

Harry, I have seen some dyno tests done using some extremes and horsepower loss was minimal on the oversprung version. In fact it maintained power better past the peak rpm. Not a suggestion but I found the data interesting but also predicted. The force of compression is the same as the potential energy. I am working on some spring packages that just control the valves with typical hydraulic roller cams we use and the heavy cvo valves. My reason for lightening the force is to save the lifters, rocker bushings, valve stem tips, and rockers. Also lifter bleed off is a concern, which is the noise we hear, lash which is lost lift. With a lower spring rate and seat pressure these cvos get much quieter.

MCE

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2018, 10:00:45 AM »

Thanks for your time.
Dan

My testing has shown, on average you can expect at least 10/10 more hp/tq. Your results will vary based
on a plethora of factors. Mainly the cams, pipe and tune. But 10/10 is pretty typical if you're just doing head
work.

I did some testing a few years ago along these lines. We started with a couple mildly cammed bikes with stock heads.
Before and after dyno runs with very mild head work (pocket port and valve job) showed pretty significant gains
across the entire RPM range. They gained TQ all over the board and didn't lose anywhere. The bigger the motor, the
bigger the gains. I tested 80ci EVO, 95" TC and a 110 TC. All of them showed very similar gains. The 110 picked up
more than the smaller motors, but the before/after curves all looked similar.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:26:15 AM by MCE Performance »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 24 queries.