Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Use or Not to Use" the Bushtec Plug-N-Play Electric Relay Isolator Package  (Read 2437 times)

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)

How many use the Plug-N-Play Electric Relay Isolator Package when wiring their trailer wiring to their bike?  Do you have LED lights on your trailer or do you have standard bulb lights? Is there a benefit for using the Relay Isolator or will it cause issues down the road? I am running a 2009 FLTRSE3 with LED lights all around and the trailer has LED lights.

I have read "Chains" is the Bustec Master as he is "ADDICTED" to them! Look forward to all and everyone's input! Thanks in advance.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

I will give you my take on it.  I have had 3 bikes with Bushtec style wiring harnesses on them since 2004.  None of them had the isolator and none of them ever had a issues. One was strictly incandescent bulbs on bike and trailer. One had LEDs on bike,  incandescent on trailer. Current set up LEDs on bike and trailer. 

Just about to pull the trigger on a 2009 FLHTCUSE complete with matching Bushtec trailer.  Bike was owned by a dentist and I would almost bet it has the isolation box.  Fine if it does fine if it doesn't.

Never been a fan of black boxes that can't be repaired if there is an issue. 

Hope this helps.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

harley.2016

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2007 CVO Springer

Chains
Do you have any pictures of a bushtec wiring install. I have a 2012 Ultra and am having issues.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

Chains
Do you have any pictures of a bushtec wiring install. I have a 2012 Ultra and am having issues.
No pic but here is the specs for the wiring on a Bushtec.

Green = run / tail light
White = ground
Blue = brake
Yellow = RT
Brown = LT
Black = interior light

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Copyless

• GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCU (close to a CVO)

I have the BushTec PNP wiring harness on my '15, I really never really looked or thought about it, but I am sure the light on the trailer are not L.E.D's, I have checked to make sure the lights are working when I connect it, so I know they are not L.E.D's, Ii would have noticed that. I also have a CANBUS which yours is not, so I don't know if there is any benefit for you since you do not have CANBUS, but for me there is a benefit, it's PNP and does not throw codes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

I will give you my take on it.  I have had 3 bikes with Bushtec style wiring harnesses on them since 2004.  None of them had the isolator and none of them ever had a issues. One was strictly incandescent bulbs on bike and trailer. One had LEDs on bike,  incandescent on trailer. Current set up LEDs on bike and trailer. 

Just about to pull the trigger on a 2009 FLHTCUSE complete with matching Bushtec trailer.  Bike was owned by a dentist and I would almost bet it has the isolation box.  Fine if it does fine if it doesn't.

Never been a fan of black boxes that can't be repaired if there is an issue. 

Hope this helps.

I've never used the isolater on my own either.  Several installs. Have seen two of them fail on others though.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.