Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: New Cobra OmniPro App  (Read 4253 times)

SERG3

• APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE ULTRA B/O
    • CVO2: 2009 SE ROAD GLIDE YELLOW
New Cobra OmniPro App
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »

:nixweiss:

Yorba Linda, CA – Cobra announces the next big step in electronic controls for motorcycles – and it's as close as your smart phone! Used in conjunction with the award-winning Fi2000 PowrPro fuel-injection module, the new OmniPro App brings advanced features like traction control, theft protection, onboard diagnostics, weather forecasting, and super-economy fuel settings to Harley-Davidsons and Metric cruisers.   

Taking full advantage of modern mobile devices' advanced GPS features and tie-ins with online weather-forecasting services, OmniPro recognizes if a bike is being ridden on curvy terrain or in inclement weather, automatically and seamlessly triggering softer throttle response. If a rider is away from the motorcycle, OmniPro sends a text message warning of the approaching weather front and suggesting the appropriate riding gear.
"NASA fired John Glenn into low-earth orbit with less computing power than most of us carry in our purses or pants pockets," said Cobra Special Project Division’s computer whiz Simon Router. The recent graduate of the prestigious University of Wossamotta explained, "With the OmniPro App and our Fi2000 system riders can benefit from that sophistication to make riding easier and safer. No longer is traction control the domain of high-end, high-performance sport bikes; now any motorcycle has access to this kind of advanced technology."

In constant development for the past two years and with literally hundreds of thousands of miles in beta testing behind it, OmniPro has a myriad of other advanced features, one in particular that makes it right for today's skyrocketing gasoline prices. Access SuperEco mode and the app recognizes when a bike is in top gear and at constant speed on level ground, cueing a far leaner fuel-air mixture that can significantly increase fuel mileage.
"In standard mode, Fi2000 monitors fuel delivery about 80 times every second," said Router. "In SuperEco setting that jumps to 500 times per second. Results vary, of course, but at a constant 65 mph, we're seeing an average bump in miles per gallon of about 35%. With gas approaching $5 per gallon, that's like knocking $1 off the pump price, meaning that OmniPro could easily pay for itself on one long ride."

OmniPro has the potential to do even more with optional plug-ins. By fitting Cobra's accessory air-valve transponders, owners can quickly check tire-pressure readings with a simple scan of their cell phone. A rider can also determine fuel level, including distance to Reserve. If needed, the most direct route to the closest filling station is displayed on screen. Likewise oil level is given, as well as mileage until the next scheduled service and locations of nearby authorized dealerships. In SysCheck mode, the motorcycle's onboard diagnostics hardware is accessed, identifying any potential problem areas via a schematic display of the bike. If all systems check out, the bike can then be remotely started from as far as 50 yards away simply by pressing Start Motor on the OmniPro App's display screen. Advanced theft protection can be built into the system. Linked to crime-reporting sites, OmniPro alerts the rider if the bike is being parked in a high-theft area, and suggests safer locations. Additionally, once started, if the owner's cell phone is more than 1.5 feet away from the bike, shifting from neutral automatically triggers OmniPro to shut the engine off, sound the horn, flash the lights, call the police and emit a locator beacon signal that can be tracked by law enforcement.

“The OmniPro app ushers in a new kind of motorcycling experience,” said Router. “Riders will be even more involved and engaged in their riding and their motorcycle than before. It’s the future made available today.”

Priced at $99.95, Cobra's OmniPro will be available in app stores starting April 1.   

IF YOU GOING TO BE DUMB YOU GOT TO BE TUFF

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New Cobra OmniPro App
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »

This sounds cool but feels like so much snake oil.  The phone App mentioned is a hundred bucks (for just the app) but requires the Cobra add-on "Power Pro 2000" device for another $600.  Looks like a Fuel-Pak sort of device that adds an interface between the injectors and the injector harnesses (at least for the couple of models I looked at).  They did offer applications that go back to the early Marelli bikes thoughs.  Still feels like snake oil.  Interesting info to just look up though as hadn't seen that product before.  Thanks.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »

Funny.  We have all these folks on the site complaining about the soft Harley throttle response and asking how to eliminate it, and then we have the Cobra folks wanting to sell you something to soften your throttle response as a pseudo traction control system that depends on weather forecasts rather than actual sensors measuring actual traction like a real traction control system.  This kind of reminds me of that device someone sells to add a little air cushion to the brake lines to help riders avoid abrupt brake response. 

Thank you very much, but I think I'd rather use my own senses to determine if it's raining or not and if I should maybe consider slowing down and not whacking the throttle wide open if I'm running on wet pavement.  Oh, btw, I wonder if that app will also know when you're riding in those other low traction situations, like on pine needles or leaves?  I guess if they tie in with the latest satellite imagery they could figure out you're riding through a forest where there may be leaves or needles.  How about sand, will they be able to tell if some sand got kicked up on the road?

Excuse me if I'm not impressed.  Just because cheap electronics has made a lot of things possible doesn't necessarily mean those things are a great idea.  I don't need to consult an app on a phone to figure out how much gas I've got, since I have a gauge for that.  The same goes for most of the other hyped "features".   Now if that app would make hot lingerie models beg for a ride, my opinion might change.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »

I especially liked the auto shut off feature that also honked the horn and called the police if the phone was more than 1.5' from the bike while it was running.  Or if you put the phone in the tour pak and lost the bluetooth connection, put it in the trailer or the phone battery went dead :huepfenlol2: ?

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »

Stay tuned this thread is gonna be good.  :sauer007:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »

Funny.  We have all these folks on the site complaining about the soft Harley throttle response and asking how to eliminate it, and then we have the Cobra folks wanting to sell you something to soften your throttle response as a pseudo traction control system that depends on weather forecasts rather than actual sensors measuring actual traction like a real traction control system.  This kind of reminds me of that device someone sells to add a little air cushion to the brake lines to help riders avoid abrupt brake response. 

Thank you very much, but I think I'd rather use my own senses to determine if it's raining or not and if I should maybe consider slowing down and not whacking the throttle wide open if I'm running on wet pavement.  Oh, btw, I wonder if that app will also know when you're riding in those other low traction situations, like on pine needles or leaves?  I guess if they tie in with the latest satellite imagery they could figure out you're riding through a forest where there may be leaves or needles.  How about sand, will they be able to tell if some sand got kicked up on the road?

Excuse me if I'm not impressed.  Just because cheap electronics has made a lot of things possible doesn't necessarily mean those things are a great idea.  I don't need to consult an app on a phone to figure out how much gas I've got, since I have a gauge for that.  The same goes for most of the other hyped "features".   Now if that app would make hot lingerie models beg for a ride, my opinion might change.

Jerry

You don't need an App for that! You ride a Harley, don't you??
 8)
HOGMIKE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »

You don't need an App for that! You ride a Harley, don't you??
 8)

Sadly..... that just don't always work :bigcry: .

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »

This sounds cool but feels like so much snake oil.  The phone App mentioned is a hundred bucks (for just the app) but requires the Cobra add-on "Power Pro 2000" device for another $600.  Looks like a Fuel-Pak sort of device that adds an interface between the injectors and the injector harnesses (at least for the couple of models I looked at).  They did offer applications that go back to the early Marelli bikes thoughs.  Still feels like snake oil.  Interesting info to just look up though as hadn't seen that product before.  Thanks.

Don's been had  :'( GRC too???

April Fools aside, Cobra does have a Radar detector that interfaces with an iPhone/Droid.
Even if you don't use the detector, you can still use the free App.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »

April Fools aside, Cobra does have a Radar detector that interfaces with an iPhone/Droid.

Cool :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: !

Does that mean it won't shut the bike off in a foot and a half :oops: ?

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »

:vrolijk_11:
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:18 PM »

Oh my!  Can you spell " G O T C H A ?? "   :huepfenlol2:    :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenjump3:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:15:18 AM »

Must....control...the urge.....

Must not...comment....   must..not.....comment.....

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:05 AM »

good one  :2vrolijk_21:
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »

OK, so you got me.  Ya have to admit though, after reading Cobra's real advertising that fake press release sounded just like the bogus stuff they put out for real.  Someone went to some effort on that one.  ;D

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:05 AM »

Must....control...the urge.....

Must not...comment....   must..not.....comment.....

That's cool, I know what you mean. We'll just watch this for awhile and see how it turns out. I'm not averse to trying new tech but I'll be really pissed if this turns out to be a April fools prank. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would stack the deck against themselves by making false release statements but like they say, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Guess they can always claim that someone hijacked their site. Oh and yes I got their email as well from when I purchased the Fi2000 Power Pro for the Raider.

I still don't see this in the App store and it was supposed to be available yesterday. Will be interesting to see how this plays out but if they're screwing around then they just lost a customer who has spent good money on their products.

http://www.cobrausa.com/email/april1_12/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:18:51 PM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

hogasm

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »

April fools my azz.......I read this on this INTERNET so it must be true :soapbox:

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:47 AM »

OK, so you got me.  Ya have to admit though, after reading Cobra's real advertising that fake press release sounded just like the bogus stuff they put out for real ...

the "prestigious University of Wossamotta" graduate should have warned you  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »

"...I purchased the Fi2000 Power Pro for the Raider."

Just curious, how's the PowrPro working in the Raider?  Can you feel any improvement?  The 113 is already a monster, giving it more torque and better throttle response would make it really impressive.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 03:21:50 AM »

I haven't installed it yet and bought it after I came back over from vacation. It's one of the early ones released and there were several instances where these were sent back as being bad. Cobra has been responsive on correcting the issue and they assured me via email that if I find I have a problem when I get back that they will remedy the situation.

Sorry for the long rant. Think it's time to come home and ride instead of being an armchair rider.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:18:19 PM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 24 queries.