Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with trailer wiring and LED signal lights  (Read 1176 times)

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Need help with trailer wiring and LED signal lights
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »

Hi everyone, my bike is an 09 SERG and I have a new trailer that has rear led signal lights with small led side lights that act with the signals. I wired everything with an isolator and have strong running and led brake lights but no signal lights on the trailer. The isolator is wired to the positive and negative on the battery and using a ground other than the battery ground causes a very dim running light but directly grounded to the battery, a nice strong running and brake light. I was told that maybe the signal going to the trailer signal lights may be too weak and that I should try wiring them from the bike's lighting relay wiring to get a stonger signal. I don't like to get into cutting the oem wiring but would one suggest to tap into the subharness wiring before the isolator and wire directly from the subharness turn signal wires to the signal light wires going to the bike's plug, I could individually fuse the two lines for some protection if need be. I guess I could just cut the wires at the subharness and test but if that doesn't provide a strong enough signal, then I'm going directly from the lighting relay at the fuse box, yikes. If I knew what was needed for a signal to the rear signals, I could read it with my multimeter and know for sure. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them and can share their fix with me, any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:45:34 PM by Big Dog »
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Need help with trailer wiring and LED signal lights
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »

Sounds like you need a load equalizer
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »

Here's what i used works great.

720582   Khrome Werks 5-Pin Trailer Connector Kit - 96-10 FLT Touring Models with Isolator Module - (exc. 2010 FLHX, FLTR; 09-10 SE CVO)7

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »

I have installed a similar setup to what you have mentioned above, I purchased through Electrical Connections, with the molex subharness and installed between my stock Molex connectors under my seat. The pic is the isolator part I have installed and the white plug goes into the subharness. Thanks Chains, I wasn't considering about an equalizer for the trailer lighting, reading on all the threads about trailer wiring, I didn't see anyone needing one if the trailer had leds, not sayiing that anyone has, so I didn't think it was needed, only if there were leds on the bike, of which I do, rear signals, rear brake light and tour pak light bar (all HD so I have no load equalizer for those and all runs good). I'm going to make sure the voltage is sufficient coming out of the lead signal light wires from the isolator, I might have a bad isolator and wouldn't be surprised as some have had trouble with them in the past. For a temporary fix and if I have enough voltage throught the lines before the isolator, I'll use them and fuse them individually just as precaution, I need to get this going before my departure on Sat morning to the Spokane GTG. :nervous:
Randy D

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »

the Khrome Werks is a isolator, ioad equalizer and it is plup and play

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:57:06 PM »

Thanks CW, the more and more I learn about leds, the more things are/are not making sense. I can see how the load equalizer comes into play because of the low draw of the leds and how the relay in the isolator I have is not sending the signal, hence, the suggestion of running the signal light wires directly to my relay in the fuse box. Out of curiosity, did your trailer also have leds installed?
Randy D

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 24 queries.